• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021-22 Season Hurricanes Misc. Thread

Although calling the person in that position a "reporter" is kind of like if you tried to call a press secretary a "journalist". Just a tad disingenuous.

Although calling the person in that position a "reporter" is kind of like if you tried to call a press secretary a "journalist". Just a tad disingenuous.
Stenographer is probably more appropriate.

That is all about Dougie and Ned. Dom's model effectively turns Dougie Hamilton into one of the top (if not THE top) Dman in the league. An absolute cornerstone pillar to a championship team. And Ned is one of the NHLs top goalies. What Dom's model doesn't do of course is visibly account for "playoff Dougie" and account for the possibility that Ned just went on a partial season bender.

As I've been saying, this offseason the Canes took things to the next level in terms of their player/value process. This coming season is a big proof of concept for the process, which Dom also seems to indicate quite a bit in his writeup.

Last edited:
That's always been an issue for Dom's models IMO ... but it's an editorial issue. In other word, Dom sometimes lets his feelings run ahead of the math/logic. If a young player is good, there's not a ton of room for regression ... unless that regression is permanent. His ranges are a bit inflexible. The guy is better at the modeling thing than 90% of the people doing it in the public domain, but everybody has weak spots.

I expect us to be second or third unless one of our moves explodes in our face or significant injuries..

Might be a real metro mosh pit this year. With the caps and pens both being on the “back nine” of their runs it could really be an interesting year.

While I may not agree with his model's predictions, I think this season carries a lot of unknowns, so I won't argue that we should be 2nd, 3rd, or 4th in our division. And Dom's model is rightly focused on goaltending and a Dougie-less defense - so am I.

I think his model overrates Pittsburgh. I think they’ll have a big decline this year.

I think his model overrates Pittsburgh. I think they’ll have a big decline this year.
Yeah ... although the Pens have fallen into Montreal's normal zone for me. In that, while I may not see it, they always find a way to be there or thereabouts when it comes playoff race time. I look at that roster, figure in the injury situation with their key stars and see real trouble. But, dollars to donuts, they're almost guaranteed to be right there in the mix come February.

Each NHL team correspondent at The Athletic picked a player from the team they cover that is most likely to end of the season on a different roster. Sara Civian picked Gardiner. I didn’t think a player on LTIR could be traded or waived? And realistically, aside from the ever popular “future considerations”, what would he fetch?

Each NHL team correspondent at The Athletic picked a player from the team they cover that is most likely to end of the season on a different roster. Sara Civian picked Gardiner. I didn’t think a player on LTIR could be traded or waived? And realistically, aside from the ever popular “future considerations”, what would he fetch?
She copped out. Prolly doesn't want to deal with the comments section if she had picked somebody's imaginary boyfriend. Of course, she could have copped out harder by wish-casting DeAngelo off the roster.

With the NHL players back in the Olympics, the IIHF asked participating teams to provide a list of 3 provisional players that will be on the roster if they’re healthy. Finland went with chalk. Not surprisingly, Aho is 1 of the 3. Barkov and Rantanen are the others.

With the NHL players back in the Olympics, the IIHF asked participating teams to provide a list of 3 provisional players that will be on the roster if they’re healthy. Finland went with chalk. Not surprisingly, Aho is 1 of the 3. Barkov and Rantanen are the others.
Can't really argue those 3..

Could the Canes be in some trouble? The CBA requires that teams play 6 preseason games. The Canes will have only played 4 after tomorrow. According to Frank Seravalli, the thought was that the league only found out because the Habs tattled. I find it hard to believe that the league wouldn’t have known this by themselves.

Back