• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021 Hurricanes Miscellaneous Thread

Noah Hanifin is out for the season. Calgary is 4 points behind the Habs for the last playoff spot in the North. Nikolaj Ehlers of the Jets is out for the regular season but Chaiman Mo hopes to have him back for the playoffs. The Jets haven’t clinched yet but are going to be the 2 or 3 seed, barring a 1964 Phillies collapse.

Dundon is probably thinking of adding a clause to Brindy's new contract that states that the coach must be responsible for selling more ads on the boards. Or thinks that he can slot Mike Manaspellcheck in as coach. Dumb voice: "He seems like he knows what he's talking about and the guys seem to like him. He can coach and announce the game on TV, but he if wants more money than what he's getting now, he needs to sell more ads on the uniforms."
Look. Take all the pot shots at Dundon you want ... but remember where we were when he got here. The guy's not dumb, and he's not as cheap as everybody seems to want to believe either. He's got his own way of doing things and it's not always the same way as every other team ... most of which seem to be run by idiots. So, whatever.

I was somewhat surprised when the Canes didn't send out playoff ticket information and invoices the day after we clinched a playoff spot. Having braved the full regular season ticket package (and enjoying every bit of it, winning is a lot of fun), I'm waiting still to find out how they are planning on working playoff tickets strips and what they are going to set the cost at.

I can say for sure that there is demand out there for lower level tickets. We are not going to be able to go to the regular season home finale and put our 2 seat pod up for resale on TicketMaster and easily resold them for quite a bit more than we paid. I don't have any intention of not going to every playoff game, but if allowed attendance is still at the same level its at now for round 1, tickets are going to be selling for a huge premium on the resale market. That is especially true with the large number of people who will be fully vaccinated and past 2 weeks for their 2nd shot. Its going to be crazy.

I wonder how high the Canes are going to price playoff tickets?

Last edited:
I was somewhat surprised when the Canes didn't send out playoff ticket information and invoices the day after we clinched a playoff spot. Having braved the full regular season ticket package (and enjoying every bit of it, winning is a lot of fun), I'm waiting still to find out how they are planning on working playoff tickets strips and what they are going to set the cost at.

I can say for sure that there is demand out there for lower level tickets. We are not going to be able to go to the regular season home finale and put our 2 seat pod up for resale on TicketMaster and easily resold them for quite a bit more than we paid. I don't have any intention of not going to every playoff game, but if allowed attendance is still at the same level its at now for round 1, tickets are going to be selling for a huge premium on the resale market. That is especially true with the large number of people who will be fully vaccinated and past 2 weeks for their 2nd shot. Its going to be crazy.

My rep called me on Tuesday and asked if I wanted to keep my Covid seats in 215 or return to my usual section 122. I have Pure Hockey pricing so my ”normal” price is $50 but the Covid price was $134. They weren’t sure on pricing because they‘re still trying figure out capacity and might be hedging on being able to bring more fans in for later rounds. Based on the governor’s recommendations, they may be able to increase capacity on June 1, which would probably be sometime during the 2nd round.

Yeah ... that last email said something about two more weeks before we'd get info on playoff tickets. That's REALLY late.

Yeah ... that last email said something about two more weeks before we'd get info on playoff tickets. That's REALLY late.
I finally connected with my rep. The reason he asked about moving back to my regular seats is that they’re restructuring the playoff ticket pricing. It won’t be based on inflated 2021 regular season prices, it will be based on the nominal price for that section.

For example, and this is using the 2021-22 pricing, playoff tickets in Lower Level North will be based on the $57/$75 published STM price rather than whatever they’re charging for regular season tickets. Same for other sections. My Pure Hockey pricing is gone, but playoffs will be based on the $80 STM price instead of the $134 regular season price.

I finally connected with my rep. The reason he asked about moving back to my regular seats is that they’re restructuring the playoff ticket pricing. It won’t be based on inflated 2021 regular season prices, it will be based on the nominal price for that section.

For example, and this is using the 2021-22 pricing, playoff tickets in Lower Level North will be based on the $57/$75 published STM price rather than whatever they’re charging for regular season tickets. Same for other sections. My Pure Hockey pricing is gone, but playoffs will be based on the $80 STM price instead of the $134 regular season price.
That's all well and good but they're still talking about contacting STHers about a week before the playoffs start. That's REALLY late considering they could potentially need a few days for public sale as well.

Look. Take all the pot shots at Dundon you want ... but remember where we were when he got here. The guy's not dumb, and he's not as cheap as everybody seems to want to believe either. He's got his own way of doing things and it's not always the same way as every other team ... most of which seem to be run by idiots. So, whatever.
I thought you were also going after Dundon hard in year 1 of his tenure. Or do I have that wrong?

That's all well and good but they're still talking about contacting STHers about a week before the playoffs start. That's REALLY late considering they could potentially need a few days for public sale as well.
I suppose they don't want to get locked into plans too early given the potential of expanding capacity as restrictions are lessened.

I thought you were also going after Dundon hard in year 1 of his tenure. Or do I have that wrong?
Meh ... when he did stuff I thought was dumb, I said so. When he does stuff I think is smart, I say so. Like most owners, he took a while to find a groove.

This is courtesy of Andrew Schnittker at Canes Country, regarding division clinching

The Canes have 6 games left; Columbus, Chicago (3), Nashville (2), and have 73 points. If the go 3-3, win all of them in regulation and get to 79 points, Florida has to go 4-0 to tie on points. But they’d lose the RW tiebreaker. They have Chicago, Dallas and 2 against Tampa left. Tampa has to pick up 9 points in their last 6 games to tie on points. If they tie on points, they hold the tiebreakers over the Canes and would win the division. Tampa has 2 each against Detroit, Dallas and Florida. So both scenarios for them can’t happen because Tampa and Florida close the season agains each other.

The Canes are 4-1-2 against Columbus, 3-2 against Chicago and 6-0 against Nashville. Just win, baby.

Yeah, at this point it would take an epic collapse and an unlikely series of events for the Canes to fall lower than 2nd. They seem to have their focus on winning the Division, and that's good. At least they're saying the right things, and coming up with that defensive effort against a team like Detroit that had bothered them all year was a really good sign that the message is resonating in the room.

This is courtesy of Andrew Schnittker at Canes Country, regarding division clinching

The Canes have 6 games left; Columbus, Chicago (3), Nashville (2), and have 73 points. If the go 3-3, win all of them in regulation and get to 79 points, Florida has to go 4-0 to tie on points. But they’d lose the RW tiebreaker. They have Chicago, Dallas and 2 against Tampa left. Tampa has to pick up 9 points in their last 6 games to tie on points. If they tie on points, they hold the tiebreakers over the Canes and would win the division. Tampa has 2 each against Detroit, Dallas and Florida. So both scenarios for them can’t happen because Tampa and Florida close the season agains each other.

The Canes are 4-1-2 against Columbus, 3-2 against Chicago and 6-0 against Nashville. Just win, baby.

Tampa having to pick up 9 points in that slate of what they have left will be tough when you consider Dallas and Florida still have lots to play for...so lets say Tampa grabs all 4 points vs Detroit and they split vs Dallas and Florida...that's only 8 points...so they pretty much need to win 5 of their last 6...and that's still a tall order. If the Canes were to go 4-2 in their last six games that pretty much cements the division and first place!

Tampa having to pick up 9 points in that slate of what they have left will be tough when you consider Dallas and Florida still have lots to play for...so lets say Tampa grabs all 4 points vs Detroit and they split vs Dallas and Florida...that's only 8 points...so they pretty much need to win 5 of their last 6...and that's still a tall order. If the Canes were to go 4-2 in their last six games that pretty much cements the division and first place!
Yea, at 4-2, Florida can’t catch us and Tampa would have to get 11 of 12 available points to take the division on the RW tiebreaker.

And I’ve spent too much time lately looking at soccer tables. I keep wanting to give 3 points for a win.

Aho had *only* 18 points in the month of April? Slacker! HES NOT PLAYING UP TO HIS CONTRACT!!! SHOULDVE LET HIM GO TO MONTREAL!!!1!!

Yegor Korshkov, who the Canes got in the Alex Galchenyuk trade, has signed 1 year year extension with Yaroslavl Lokomotiv. He spent the season there on loan after playing for the Leafs and Marlies last season. He’s a RFA with arbitration rights and, as long as the Canes make a qualifying offer, I think they hold his rights until his 27th birthday, as they do for Oliwer Kaski. Korshkov turns 27 on July 19, 2023.

Back