• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 NHL Misc. Thread

It's looking like we're going to get to watch Boston vs Florida. It's impossible to decide which I hate more, both team-wise and player-wise (Marchand or Tkachuk). I also really dislike the Rangers (Trouba, Rempe). Let's go Canes!
With any luck the Panthers and Bruins will wear each other out a bit. It's certainly not going to be a "fun" series by any stretch.
Presuming Toronto doesn't figure something out in that series of course. Dumber stuff has happened.

The salary cap is going up about $2m, so Toronto can throw him a huge bag of loonies and he can finally go home.
It’s going up by $4 million, so more loonies for him. But they only have 16 players under contract and $18.5 million to play with, so that will be a pretty big home town discount

It’s going up by $4 million, so more loonies for him. But they only have 16 players under contract and $18.5 million to play with, so that will be a pretty big home town discount
That tight cap assumes that the Leafs roll it back again with their big 4 forwards, which I believe is the definition of insanity?

I'm just kidding about Stamkos to the Leafs of course. Unless he is taking up a small fraction of cap room, the Leafs' issues are not anything that adding Stamkos would fix. What they really need to do, if they can figure out a way to do it, is get the maximum capital they can in return for Mitch Marner and spend his cap room trying to find 4 (5?) better Dmen and a goalie.

Good luck to whichever team Mitch Marner might end up with. He's regular season good, but boy is his reputation taking a beating.

Unless the Canes surprisingly announce a Pesce extension, expect to hear a whole lot of 'Pesce to the Leafs' speculation in the offseason. And that would make sense, Pesce would immediately become their #2/3 Dman.

Pesce is going to be a very expensive mistake for somebody this off season. Why not Brad Treliving? It IS his specialty.

I've got a suspicion that Marner would be fine in another market and in a different team dynamic. Could be wrong, but I'm guessing we'll get a chance to see how either he or Nylander fare somewhere else. Or both.

Interesting that Emily's reporting is being held off of her employer's outlets. Maybe it's a timing issue and they'll have an article out soon, but I'm not so sure. ESPN has been slobbering over that market (and Vegas, to be fair) from well before they were even awarded a franchise. It's almost been like they have some sort of incentive to make sure that market works and that most of the news is good news.

Oh good. Emily Kaplan. There are alot of hockey ‘analysts’ I do not like, but she is at the top of the list. The absolute worst
Emily may not be a good analyst, but she IS a good reporter. There's a difference.

ESPN doesn't even have a good NHL analyst, really. They've got a few celebrities and former players, a couple of commentator types and a few reporters. But somebody who can actually break down action intelligently? Not really. Ferraro is the only guy they have who can really do that stuff and they waste him between the benches doing whatever that dog and pony show is.

Last edited:
Emily may not be a good analyst, but she IS a good reporter. There's a difference.

ESPN doesn't even have a good NHL analyst, really. They've got a few celebrities and former players, a couple of commentator types and a few reporters. But somebody who can actually break down action intelligently? Not really. Ferraro is the only guy they have who can really do that stuff and they waste him between the benches doing whatever that dog and pony show is.
Was really disappointed in Weekes when he was put in the booth. He contributed absolutely nothing to the in-game experience.

Was really disappointed in Weekes when he was put in the booth. He contributed absolutely nothing to the in-game experience.
It's ESPN. When they got the NHL contract back (kind of) I was hoping they would treat it like a real sport, but they chose to treat it like an entertainment product instead. I knew TBS would be clueless, but stupidly I did expected better from ESPN. I should have factored in just how far they've degraded since the NHL was last a part of their offerings. They looked at NBC's broadcasts and figured that was a good enough standard. They changed a few of the specific people in front of camera and went about their day.

There is a full blown melt down in Kings Twitterland. Everyone from Blake to the equipment manager should be fired. And they’re finding out what the Jets and Jackets knew about Pierre-Luc Dubois. He's a loser. And they have 7 more years at $8.5 million unless they can move him before his NMC kicks in. But who would want him at even 50%?

Maybe the Kings can trade him to the Leafs for Matthews?

Back