• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Arena Focus Group

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Hey ... I'm doing another one of those focus group sessions for the arena changes. Anybody have any questions they want raised? I'll do my best to work it in if you have suggestions.

Get some of those Hollywood Oscars seat fillers for all the season ticket holders that don’t show up in the lower level on the glass. All these “capacity” crowds are hardly that on tv lol

For clarity ... the this going to be about the renovations/changes to the arena BUILDING.

There is a wall on the concourse that runs roughly between 331 and 335. I’m pretty sure there is an elevator shaft near the 335 end but can any of that be opened toward the exterior wall to alleviate crowding on the 3rd floor? With the carts and rest room lines, moving around the concourse is a challenge.

There is a wall on the concourse that runs roughly between 331 and 335. I’m pretty sure there is an elevator shaft near the 335 end but can any of that be opened toward the exterior wall to alleviate crowding on the 3rd floor? With the carts and rest room lines, moving around the concourse is a challenge.
I'll put this on my list. They talked a lot in the previous focus group about concourse changes on the 1st and 2nd levels but not the 3rd.

I have one simple request: overhead signage at the Westgate entrance that directs drivers to the appropriate lanes for premier and regular parking.

I have one simple request: overhead signage at the Westgate entrance that directs drivers to the appropriate lanes for premier and regular parking.
That would be helpful for the entrance off Edwards Mill too.

For me the biggest question for all of this is if my seats in Section 112 Row Z are going to get eliminated by some of the proposed changes.

For me the biggest question for all of this is if my seats in Section 112 Row Z are going to get eliminated by some of the proposed changes.
Unless something has changed, most of the lower bowl changes were confined to the center ice sections, but I'll see if I can figure out your situation.

FWIW, this seems to be a complete refresh and thus a repeat of the focus group I did 3-4 years ago. So ... fun. At leats they're getting fresh input I guess. I'll post if anything new comes up

They are definitely going to try to add premium seating options, but that will require more amenities to be added as well. They're talking about a (presumably new) lounge for first two rows (glass seats) which is in line with what other clubs with newer arenas offer. They're still talking like they want to plus up the priority lounge areas on both sides of center ice in the 100 level. Based on the examples of loge seating/boxes they showed I'd bet that the upper 6-8 rows of the sections behind net will be potentially cut out for loge boxes ... although they could also re-work 200 level for this stuff.

Last edited:
Also, apparently they are getting consistently negative feedback about parking in general and ingress/egress issues in particular. Look for major changes there ... and decks servicing the newer restaurant/event spaces eventually.

They are definitely going to try to add premium seating options, but that will require more amenities to be added as well. They're talking about a (presumably new) lounge for first two rows (glass seats) which is in line with what other clubs with newer arenas offer. They're still talking like they want to plus up the priority lounge areas on both sides of center ice in the 100 level. Based on the examples of loge seating/boxes they showed I'd bet that the upper 6-8 rows of the sections behind net will be potentially cut out for loge boxes ... although they could also re-work 200 level for this stuff.
I thought an early version eliminated the wall on the inside of the concourse that separated the priority lounges, to make the ice visible from the entrances on the east and west sides. That also serves as the back wall of the concession stands in each lounge, so I guess the plans are different?

Yes, this is what I was thinking was going to end up happening when I saw some of renderings of the loge seating with tables. We love our seats in Section 112, so this improvement, should it happen, will stink for me. They are going to end up eliminating a whole chunk of the lowest cost seats in the lower bowl and replace them with less seating but at a much higher price point.

I get it, but since it impacts me, I won't like it. I've had my same seats for 7 seasons now. Seems unlikely my seats won't exist long enough for me to make it 10 seasons in those same seats.

Last edited:
Yes, this is what I was thinking was going to end up happening when I saw some of renderings of the loge seating with tables. We love our seats in Section 112, so this improvement, should it happen, will stink for me. They are going to end up eliminating a whole chunk of the lowest cost seats in the lower bowl and replace them with less seating but at a much higher price point.

I get it, but since it impacts me, I won't like it. I've had my same seats for 7 seasons now. Seems unlikely my seats won't exist long enough for me to make it 10 seasons in those same seats.
Worth noting that the consultant said that they were undecided on location for loge seating. I got the strong impression that the construction costs would be lower if they converted the 200 level seating in the end zones to theater boxes and loge. I got the impression that if there's strong enough interest, then they might expand to the 100 level ... but with the VERY strong feedback regarding preserving the in-game atmosphere I think they're gonna mostly leave the lower bowl alone.

I thought an early version eliminated the wall on the inside of the concourse that separated the priority lounges, to make the ice visible from the entrances on the east and west sides. That also serves as the back wall of the concession stands in each lounge, so I guess the plans are different?
There are no plans anymore. Everything is in the concept phase right now, and there was exactly zero discussion of the 300 level. I know there's some structural restrictions to the area you're talking about but they are NOT planning structural revisions, if that helps ... or hurts.

I was thrown by the fact that they're obviously going back to square one and throwing out whatever they did to come up with concept drawings to present their case to the Authority. No way they have a focus group like the one last night if they have even pencil sketches for any final layout changes.

We were talking about the restaurant on the 200 level before and I got the impression last night that they might be considering an idea to convert that to a club access amenity like they have at the Honda Center in Anaheim. It's called the Impact Club and offers a bar, restaurant and dedicated bathrooms that are accessible for anyone paying for club membership regardless of seat location. Seems ideal use for that money pit of a restaurant, since the infrastructure is already in place. They would just need to renovate and figure out access flow.

FWIW, the Ducks have a couple of private/club eateries like that in Honda Center. And the same firm consulted on their renovations

Back