• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2023 Edition

A 21 year old franchise C or super elite top 2-3 D in the NHL for two 1sts? Ha good luck
You guys just refuse to get it, even after the Kessel deal in retrospect proved how wrong a move it was.

The trade isn’t happening in a vacuum. Yay, you got an elite player. But how does the rest of the team and pipeline look? Terrible and now you have no good picks till three years later?? Good luck filling out the rest of the team and, you know, trying to win a cup, which is the one and only point of all of this.

You guys just refuse to get it, even after the Kessel deal in retrospect proved how wrong a move it was.

The trade isn’t happening in a vacuum. Yay, you got an elite player. But how does the rest of the team and pipeline look? Terrible and now you have no good picks till three years later?? Good luck filling out the rest of the team and, you know, trying to win a cup, which is the one and only point of all of this.
are you somehow suggesting that the Leafs would have had more success with a theoretical Seguin + Dougie than they did with Phil?

are you somehow suggesting that the Leafs would have had more success with a theoretical Seguin + Dougie than they did with Phil?
No. I'm saying it made no sense to make that deal, no matter what ended up happening (and we have no way of knowing what would've happened later, if we would've drafted those guys, traded those guys, etc.), but also that there was essentially no chance of it being successful considering the state of the franchise at that time. We had literally nothing.

Kessel was going to be the cornerstone of a team we were going to then build with zero top draft picks in our hands till three seasons later. As we saw, it took having a Crosby and a Malkin for Kessel to be of significance. We had Grabovski.

It is not usually my practice to judge individual trades by their cups yielded. If I did, all Leaf trades for decades have been failures
There's no getting any of you to understand, just as there wasn't 10 years ago. If how it actually played out didn't make you see, then nothing will.

Suffice it to say that shit teams that sit out of the playoffs, have no elite talent, no center, no top pair dman, and no high end prospects, probably shouldn't be selling off their next three best picks for a winger. You don't "retool" a team like that on the fly. You're doomed to fail and fail we did.

If you think it played out great for us, that's cool. One playoff appearance and then ultimately a complete and total teardown didn't do it for me.

Back