• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

I still can't believe the NHL ran a supposed "best-on-best" international tournament where the best players from Canada and the USA were arbitrarily split up onto three different teams, and a bunch of countries were all randomly mashed together and called "Team Europe".

Dumbest shit ever.

If they're not going back to the Olympics, hopefully they'll at least do it right the next time they do a best-on-best tournament. Would be such a shame if guys like McDavid & Matthews never got to represent their countries in that kind of tournament when they're still in their primes.

I still can't believe the NHL ran a supposed "best-on-best" international tournament where the best players from Canada and the USA were arbitrarily split up onto three different teams, and a bunch of countries were all randomly mashed together and called "Team Europe".

Dumbest shit ever.

If they're not going back to the Olympics, hopefully they'll at least do it right the next time they do a best-on-best tournament. Would be such a shame if guys like McDavid & Matthews never got to represent their countries in that kind of tournament when they're still in their primes.

I mean, it was kind of nice that the teams were a bit more "balanced". Especially the "Team Europe" is nice to be able to see guys like Kopitar playing with legit talent in an international competition.

But yeah, I definitely want to see the full Team Canada roster again in an international competition. Hopefully they smarten up and go back to the Olympics again, even if it means having that awful 2 week break in the schedule.

Team NA was the best.
I hate international shit but Team NA was legitimately fucking awesome. Now it would probably get old if done annually or some shit but it was a terrific fresh idea that hockey has been needing for a long time.

I don't have a problem with the idea of a young stars team in and of itself, I just don't like shoe-horning it into an international tournament.

Maybe the NHL needs to innovate a bit more and have other kinds of tournaments, besides international ones.

I for one can't wait to see how Team Under 5'10-Mixed-Race-Who-are-Really-More-of-a-Dog-Person fares at the next world cup

Tippett doing an amazing job with the Oilers. Crazy the impact a proper coaching system can have, not to mention Holland’s work

it always starts at the top.

Holland is legit, even if you think he's made some bad player evaluations.

Everyone: "Dubas can't keep Matthews/Nylander/Marner and still keep their depth like Kapanen/Johnsson"
Dubas: *Does it + adds Tyson Barrie*
Everyone: Meh. So uninspiring.

Thought Dubas got taken for a ride a bit with the Marner negotiations but overall, Dubas had a great summer, IMO. But then again, Cox.

Last time Cox had a hate on for the GM, the team was damned good. I still remember him babbling insensibly when Quinn picked up Belfour - the best goalie the Leafs had since Bower.

I have to say, the past number of years where Cox hasn't been regularly employed as a sports writer have been pretty nice.

He was always one of the worst back in the day, along with other dumbass, trolling, muck-raking schmucks like Simmons & Strachan.

Last time Cox had a hate on for the GM, the team was damned good. I still remember him babbling insensibly when Quinn picked up Belfour - the best goalie the Leafs had since Bower.

Yeah, the hate-on he had for Quinn was almost pathological.

The guy was only one of the best GM's and coaches we'd had since the 60's. And the minute idiots like Cox got their wish and Quinn got kicked out of the GM's office, and eventually out of the organization altogether, the whole thing came apart like a house of cards for 10+ years.

So if Cox has a hate-on for Dubas, Dubie is in good company.

Back