• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League - 2024-25 Regular Season

P
I disagree, we were outshot and could only muster one goal.. when your goalie is perfect in a one goal game after being outshot, he stole the game.. cheers

High danger chances were 11-6 in our favor. Expected goals were 2.4-1.4 in our favor. Both goalies were solid and saved an expected goal each, but we were the better team overall, dominated that game and deserved to win. To be stealing a game means winning a game we had no business winning, which wasn't the case here. Obviously he was great in that case, even perfect, so we're splitting hairs on terminology.

We won't be able to pull our goalie against the Knights. Max Pac OWNS the empty netter. Matter of fact, they should just change the name of empty net goals to "Pacioretties" right now.

We won't be able to pull our goalie against the Knights. Max Pac OWNS the empty netter. Matter of fact, they should just change the name of empty net goals to "Pacioretties" right now.

We won't need to pull our goalie...we will press them all series....this will feel like the Wild series for Vegas, only an even better system/goalie/d-corp....and Vegas might start to feel their legs tired

I mean, yeah, what they did was according to the rules. They're right.

It just means the rules have to be adjusted when some fuckery like this happens, similar to how they had to change the rules for the front-loaded contracts.

The Patrick Kane "Loophole", alive and well since 2015.

Kane underwent surgery in February 2015, and Bowman loaded up at the TDL by acquiring Vermette, Timonen and Desjardins whose salaries combined together amounted to #88's salary.

Patrick Kane came back for Game 1 of the first-round.
And the Chicago Blackhawks went on to win the Stanley Cup.

Bob Murray wanted to bring this issue to the 2016 GMs meeting in Boca Raton to find a solution to avoid the competitive imbalances this loophole creates. His Anaheim Ducks had lost in 7 games in the Western Conference Finals against the Blackhawks the year before.

Also lots of hockey fans were complaining the same way they are now, and wanted Chicago to receive some kind of discipline for circumventing the cap and bending the rules.

Result ?

Nothing.

No closing the loophole, no rules modifications or adjustments of any sort by the NHL to solve the problem.
They could have done something like they did with the front-loaded contracts like GGpX mentioned, but they failed.
I don't understand their reasoning on this one and why they refused to close the loophole.

Frank Seravalli even sugested in an article last year that the Toronto Maple Leafs use the Patrick Kane "Loophole" at the TDL.
https://www.tsn.ca/friday-five-could-leafs-use-the-kane-loophole-1.1439255

What's happening right now with Tampa is on the NHL.

The Tampa Bay Lightning's young core were on the receiving end of that loophole and lost in the Stanley Cup Finals against the team who was the first to artificially increase their salary cap that way. The NHL did not condemn the loophole and left it open. Tampa Bay was told like everybody that everything was done according to the rules and that was it. Well the Bolts didn't forget. Can't blame a smart GM like Brisebois to do the same when the opportunity presented itself and Kucherov needed surgery in a 56 games shortened season.

I mean, yeah, what they did was according to the rules. They're right.

It just means the rules have to be adjusted when some fuckery like this happens, similar to how they had to change the rules for the front-loaded contracts.

Leafs were worse buying LTIR players to be cap compliant or sending players to Robidas Island first class

This shit has to get fixed

No one is blaming TB, but clearly it's an issue, with a fix do simple that you have to wonder why it's was not part of the rules in the first place.

Back