• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Bergevin, Timmins and Paul Wilson relieved of duties; Jeff Gorton hired as EVP

I remember how nervous MB was at his first presser as GM and then you compare him to Gorton's first one . . . like night and day.

It’s really ironic, Mark Cubans heavily invested in Mtl based Sportlogiq and the city is a global leader in AI, yet as Cuban said “everyone outside of the pro team in Mtl and the junior league in the province seems to be very interested in using our services”.

Sportlogiq does extensive work for OHL, most NCAA colleges, USNTDP, SEL, Liiga etc but they’re not good enough for Habs and QMJHL?

Chris Boucher amongst others have left Sportlogiq to join US based NHL teams - Boucher got a gig to create his own staff w SJS last summer…

At least looks like Molson is forcing Habs to enter modern era vs continued living in the past..

Did MB not use analytics? The way Gorton was talking, it sounded like we are behind the times. MB is younger and I thought he would have modernized our approach. Unless Gorton is just fluffing up the fans with 'changes' to sell himself and whatever he's bringing.

Did MB not use analytics? The way Gorton was talking, it sounded like we are behind the times. MB is younger and I thought he would have modernized our approach. Unless Gorton is just fluffing up the fans with 'changes' to sell himself and whatever he's bringing.
Barely, they’d use Sportlogiq on contract when needed and they had one person under the capologist. It was an afterthought, there was no dedicated staff like almost every other org does.

The NYR have a Vice President, Hockey Strategy & Data Management that Gorton put into place during his time

There seems to be an assumption going around that Jeff Gorton only wants to be here for five years and will then ride into the sunset to watch his hand-picked GM enjoy the fruits of his labor. That's ridiculous. I'm sure he's pissed that Dolan fired him just as his rebuilld was going to start paying off, i.e., playoffs. It's going to take Gorton at least 3-4 years to rebuild the Habs so he's probably looking at a 10 year run here if the rebuild goes well.

There seems to be an assumption going around that Jeff Gorton only wants to be here for five years and will then ride into the sunset to watch his hand-picked GM enjoy the fruits of his labor. That's ridiculous. I'm sure he's pissed that Dolan fired him just as his rebuilld was going to start paying off, i.e., playoffs. It's going to take Gorton at least 3-4 years to rebuild the Habs so he's probably looking at a 10 year run here if the rebuild goes well.
Gorton turns 54 early next year needs another 4-years to vest for NHL equity stake. If all goes well, he can walk away from here in 5-7 years a wealthy man, w his legacy & sanity in place, why take a chance at tarnishing that cultivated legacy…

Don’t see him around for longer.

Gorton turns 54 early next year needs another 4-years to vest for NHL equity stake. If all goes well, he can walk away from here in 5-7 years a wealthy man, w his legacy & sanity in place, why take a chance at tarnishing that cultivated legacy…

Because he wants to enjoy the on-ice fruits of his labor. I also suspect that his contract is longer than 5 years. Engels is speculating it’s 5 but it sounds like he’s guessing. And Gorton won’t say. It’s probably around 6 or 7 years and for a boatload of money, and I suspect if all goes well he’ll be here for a decade but he’ll occupy the John Davidson/Brendan Shanahan role by then.

P.S. You initially thought he was only coming as a one-year fixer.

Last edited:
Because he wants to enjoy the on-ice fruits of his labor. I also suspect that his contract is longer than 5 years. Engels is speculating it’s 5 but it sounds like he’s guessing. And Gorton won’t say. It’s probably around 6 or 7 years and for a boatload of money, and I suspect if all goes well he’ll be here for a decade but he’ll occupy the John Davidson/Brendan Shanahan role by then.

P.S. You initially thought he was only coming as a one-year fixer.
That was Wiseguy not me, I was only befuddled by the language used in the press release which made it sound short term (couple of years)

That was Wiseguy not me, I was only befuddled by the language used in the press release which made it sound short term (couple of years)
Regardless, I don’t see Gorton leaving here for a decade if his rebuild works and we won’t know for at least 3-4 years.

Gorton was never a player, agent or coach. I love that about him and think it's what the Habs need right now. No ingrained biases like plodding D because you were one and have to prove you can win with one.

Barely, they’d use Sportlogiq on contract when needed and they had one person under the capologist. It was an afterthought, there was no dedicated staff like almost every other org does.

The NYR have a Vice President, Hockey Strategy & Data Management that Gorton put into place during his time
The team you see on the ice in NY was built by Gorton, over time.

$5M+ annual salary might do the trick.

Everyone not named Sam Pollock that has a management position in the NHL will end up having a bad legacy by the time they get fired.

Mathias Brunet had a good point this week: If you think of Serge Savard's legacy at the time he got fired, most people wanted him burned at the stake, to the point that he was getting booed in a Habs Old Timers game by the end of his reign.

If you're going to look at his body of work now, it's very good (albeit with notable mistakes, like with everyone).

Back