• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

COVID-19 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
well those fat , old , bald alums have to have FB!!! I'm old but not fat or bald. :)

They are also cutting out fall break which is 2 days to end the semester before Thanksgiving.
Well, I'm old and bald but I'm not going to be sitting cheek to jowls in a football stadium with the great unwashed anytime soon.

Last edited:
Vivian Howard has permanently closed The Boiler Room oyster bar and will not re-open Chef & the Farmer this summer. When it does re-open, it will be more casual, have lower prices and may incorporate some of The Boiler Room items.

Locally, Vivace and Midtown Grill In North Hills will re-open tomorrow. Vivace did a few weeks of takeout before closing While Midtown Grill didn’t do takeout at all. Vivace’s sister restaurant, Coquette Brasserie, will not re-open tomorrow.

Vivian Howard has permanently closed The Boiler Room oyster bar and will not re-open Chef & the Farmer this summer. When it does re-open, it will be more casual, have lower prices and may incorporate some of The Boiler Room items.

That is disappointing. I loved both of those places just as they were.

It seemed odd that a high end restaurant was in Kinston. I know it's because she's from near there but I am surprised she has not opened a triangle area place. She's a NCSU alum so she knows the area. A lot more people willing to pay high end prices here than Kinston.

An article in TBJ about restaurants deciding to reopen or not suggested that a lot of staff were flat out leaving the industry. For operators of multiple restaurants, consolidation is the obvious way forward.

It seemed odd that a high end restaurant was in Kinston. I know it's because she's from near there but I am surprised she has not opened a triangle area place. She's a NCSU alum so she knows the area. A lot more people willing to pay high end prices here than Kinston.

Most of her business at C&F came from out of state. Boiler Room was more local.

I wonder how many people are going to eat out . I won't for a while but I'm old and have diabetes.

Me, just 1 time for my daughter's BDay next week (I made the reservation today). Considering how much graduating Seniors have had this year completely messed up its worth the risk for us. Restaurant is taking all of the right precautions as will we. But this is just a one time thing, its not going to be a regular thing for us for a while.

Many people made the trek down that way. Had a great night of fun with my wife one night by hitting C&F then the Mother Earth tavern and spending the night at the ME motor lodge. She's originally from Kinston, so we had a grand ol' time wandering around downtown, she showing me what shops were around when she was a little kid living there. I know quite a few Kinstonians that ate at C&F too. It wasn't all out-of-towners keeping that place jamming.

I've got a friend from college who is one of Vivian's suppliers. He told me the other day (when talking about his cruise reservation that got cancelled) that she had been contemplating this change for a while. Chef and Farmer was a critical success, but was never really all that much of a money maker for her. Going with a more casual menu will allow them to bring in more regular customers from the region without depending on people traveling in just to eat at a "famous" restaurant.

I chalk this up to the same thing we're going to see out of a lot of restaurant operators when things get going again. Any economic or operational stress that was causing somebody to re-think their process is going to result in changes. Some driven by current concerns, some by bigger picture stuff.

Two big local restaurant guys are suing their insurers for denying claims over CV closures. They say there is no exclusion for that in the policies.
I remember Irregardless closed for a while due to a fire but they had good insurance so they did not lose much money.

Patrick Ewing diagnosed with Covid-19. Noooo! He never played for any of my preferred teams, but I never hated the guy. In fact, I was always a big fan of the big man. How could any hate the sweaty big guy?

Patrick Ewing diagnosed with Covid-19. Noooo! He never played for any of my preferred teams, but I never hated the guy. In fact, I was always a big fan of the big man. How could any hate the sweaty big guy?
Meh ... like Akeem after him, plenty of people hated Ewing when he was in college. NBA Ewing was a lot more accessible. I assume he'll get top notch medical care

I hated him when he was in college. He was a freshman at Georgetown when I was a senior at Villanova. But as a Knicks fan I loved him, and I don’t care if the lottery was rigged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back