• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

End of Season Interviews and Stuff

What would Aho bring?
I don’t think they should even go there. He’s one of the heartbeats of the team. Resign him at 9-10 million after his contract expires.
I’m inclined to think Necas & Pesce would be the guys to dangle to get that scoring winger.

What would Aho bring?
The answer better be another 1st line center or else you'd be wasting your time. I don't see trading Aho as a particularly useful thought exercise unless it's as a part of the kind of jumbo package Florida put together for Tkachuk. And those are too rare and too complicated for us message board heroes, unless we're just spit ballin' for fun.

Again, I think it's far more likely that Carolina sticks with their centers and tries to build up on the wing. People are speculating about Necas again, but I doubt he'll be on the move. He's on another year of a pretty high value contract. Dundon won't want to waste that. Turbo could be on the way out after a weak season, and Carolina could package up some prospects as they've done in the past. We might see some changes on D too, as Pesce, Skjei and Chatfield all enter their last contract years.

Last edited:
I was content with having Kotkaniemi as second line center this season but I have changed my mind a bit and think they should bring in someone else for the upcomming season. There are not many centers out there in the UFA pool I would be interested in but a guy like Ryan O'Reilly might be one. Aho, O'Reilly, Kotkaniemi and Staal is a good setup down the middle.

When it comes to the forwards I think as JB says that they should be thinking about trading away one guy for some more scoring and grit.
Turbo would be the one I would trade in that scenario aswell.

I don't think the Canes are going to get another center. KK is going to be leaned on top be top 9 center for sure.

That doesn't mean that we don't get someone who is capable of playing center, I just don't see us backing away from KK as a top 9 guy OR having Jordan Staal be the 4th line center. Wings will be where the improvements are.

I'm also not convinced O'Reilly isn't mostly cooked. If he wants to come here and be a grinding winger and face-off/PP2 guy for $3 million per on a 2 year deal then sure. But someone else is going to throw money at O'Reilly unless he decides to stay in Toronto for less money like some vets do.

Please, no trades to the D corps. They weren't the problem.
I don't think you'd make a move because somebody was a problem, really. But you have to think about asset value and the next contract. Take Pesce, as much as I love the guy he's going be significantly more expensive after 23-24, and honestly he didn't have the greatest of post seasons ... especially against Florida. Now, that could be because he was banged, up ... I dunno ... but his value is probably as high as it's going to get. Same with Skjei. That offensive explosion probably won't be repeatable for him, and his value as a trade asset probably won't be any higher than it is right now. Again, NOT advocating here ... just pointing out potential options.

Pesce and Skjei are both UFAs next year; IMHO one of them is getting shipped before the trade deadline.

Waddell and Brind’Amour are speaking today, Dundon spoke yesterday.

- He wants to get Aho signed to an 8 year extension as soon as possible. “It’s kind of his team now.”
- He thinks getting Staal re-signed will happen quickly.
- He’d consider bringing both goalies back because Koochie is still waivers exempt. But he recognizes they could get either or neither too.
- He pretty well closed the door on re-signing Pacioretty, saying the freed up roster spots will allow the team to possibly bring back older vets like Stastny and Stepan.
- He knows the next year or 2 will be hard with all the contracts up, speaking about Aho, Pesce, Skjei, Slavin and Necas. Prominently missing was Turbo. If the right trade offer comes up, I think he’s as good as gone.
- “Everybody on our team this year, we would be happy to bring back. We were a 113-point team this year. That’s pretty good.”

It’s a DeCock article, so it’s behind the paywall.

Read more at: https://www.newsobserver.com/sports...ke-decock/article275923576.html#storylink=cpy

OK, so ... math

Current Cap Space ... $24 million and change

AFP projections ...
Staal $3.1 mil
Fast $2.3 mil
Raanta $3.2 mil
Andersen $4.1 mil
Stastny $1.5 mil
Stepan $775K

Total for getting the band back together ... $14.8 and change, which would still leave a little less than $10 million to add a LD, a winger and some spare parts. Ghost projects at a little more than $4 million, which probably prices him out, but maybe not.

Last edited:
Now, is that a good idea? Look. Dundon is not wrong that the current group is pretty darned good. Flawed, but good. You don't pile up 113 points in a season otherwise. I think we all could make a case for both or either of the veteran goalies to come back, especially with Kochetkov signed to a reasonable backstop deal. Staal is easy. He was Carolina's second best playoff performer behind Aho, even at his advanced age. Get him on a reasonable deal and you've got your Captain, engine room and most important PK guy back. He's got at least 2 more years in those legs. Stastny and Stepan? Whatever. You need quality depth and those guys are cheap enough. Plus, you don't have a raft of kids banging on the door.

So, as a firm platform that all makes sense. The question is addressing how you get this group that little bit better. And Dundon is right about the other thing too. It's a LOT easier to screw around and make things worse than it is to get better. Tinkering is probably the order of the day. Can you pry loose another cap casualty like you did with Patches? Can you maybe find a lower key scoring guy on a rebuilding roster that you could get for picks and prospects? The left defense slot is nobody's idea of hard to fill ... you could probably re-sign Max Lajoie and be fine. The trick is probably just finding a winger with some pop and continuing to build up production from guys like Svech, Necas and Jarvis ... who all have more to give.

Last edited:
What would I like to see happen?

Pick a veteran goalie to bring back and let Kochetkov grow into the 1B role. I think they only way he gets better at the NHL level is to let him play some games. At 23 and with 2 half seasons in the A already, I don't think he's got much left to learn at that level.

Find a LD who can hold down the fort next to Chatfield. Doesn't have to be a fancy guy, just somebody solid.

Spend the rest of the money on a winger ... preferably somebody who either has a big shot or a big body who can work the netfront, if not both. Cap casualty guys are probably the best market here, but who knows? UFAs aren't the answer unless you want to roll the dice on an old guy, and we already crapped out betting big on an old guy. Plus, like last summer, if you can take on a pretty hefty cap hit then you should be a player for basically everybody in this market who's on a cap strapped team.

I don't think a big overhaul at center is in the cards, nor do I think they're set up for too many changes on the wings. If you can get yourself into the mix for somebody with high end skill, then by all means get in those conversations. But if not, then just find a scoring winger and run it back.

OK, so ... math

Current Cap Space ... $24 million and change

AFP projections ...
Staal $3.1 mil
Fast $2.3 mil
Raanta $3.2 mil
Andersen $4.1 mil
Stastny $1.5 mil
Stepan $775K

Total for getting the band back together ... $14.8 and change, which would still leave a little less than $10 million to add a LD, a winger and some spare parts. Ghost projects at a little more than $4 million, which probably prices him out, but maybe not.
Call it a big thanks but no thanks on bringing back Freddy and Raanta at that AFP projected cost of $7.3 million combined...that overall number is gross for another year older and more injury prone for those two. One yes, two no way. I agree with you rolling with Koochie as a 1B and let him grow into it.

Call it a big thanks but no thanks on bringing back Freddy and Raanta at that AFP projected cost of $7.3 million combined...that overall number is gross for another year older and more injury prone for those two. One yes, two no way. I agree with you rolling with Koochie as a 1B and let him grow into it.
Projected numbers by a service ... actual mileage will vary. I'd be shocked if Freddie passed on $3 million and change in Raleigh to go chase an extra million somewhere else. Most of the decent non-Canadian teams are set in net, and there's no way he goes back to Canada after what he went through in Toronto. Honestly, I think they'd be best served to get Freddie back and to find a quality veteran third option on a 2 way deal.

Can’t we just find a big physical natural scorer that can light the lamp and knock the shit out of someone? Easy right? This team needs more physicality and another scorer.

Back