• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Free Agent Thread 2021

Also Habs have other advantages over the poorer teams like being able to front load contracts
That advantage is really beneficial for US residents based on Canada / US tax treaty, hence, Petry 2x, Gionta etc. can still front load and be better than Hets or Sens, but those players were never considering those teams...except Chiarot

There are creative ways to get around the taxes issue with our CRA

Bonuses , place or residence , time spent playing on USA soil , etc....

The gap is there but a huge difference with high end salaries
Arpon Basu in today’s The Atheltic article said no team was willing to offer more than 2-years to Toffoli...

Arpon Basu in today’s The Atheltic article said no team was willing to offer more than 2-years to Toffoli...

Exactly , and thats why we got him

Same as Dougie Hamilton , if by a miracle no team goes 4 years and we go 6-7 term he will be a HAB

Habs are a last resort and I dont blame one player for talking the easier USA route

How is Savard even remotely a replacement for Weber?

Hamilton please.
Chiarot - DeAngelo
Edmundson - Petry
Romanov - Savard

Like last season w a 4-line forward depth approach, need to look at this seasons D as a 3-line depth approach. Not 1st pair, 2nd and 3rd.

Hamilton reportedly is not willing to entertain offers from CDN teams

How is Savard even remotely a replacement for Weber?

Hamilton please.
He has the same Weber beard

Nero has to go hard on 2 D ......not depth guys like Savard, Gusty , Merrill trash

Go get Giordano for 1 year .....elite skater who probably can play a few more years

He doesnt have the wear on his body as other 35+ players

Dumba , Sandheim ( might be available ) , Orlov . etc.........

Fix the fuken D or we are done by the 50 game mark ....

DeAngelo won't be signed by MB. No Chance.

I don't want savard unless its dirt cheap. I would hit seattle up for Gio if possible.

Ryan Murray maybe cheap... I know he is LH

Cody Ceci, Sami Vatanen as a 6th d?

Too difficult to do - loopholes available in the US are much greater than what Canada has
It isn't about difficulty. Virtually any mitigation in this area would help Canadian franchises be more competitive. The issue is a lack of desire on the part of the powers-that-be to lift a finger to help Canadian franchises be more competitive. More competitive Canadian teams means more potential for Canadian teams to go on long playoff runs or even have all Canadian finals. US television will never tolerate that. The Habs went to the final this season and the US television ratings were among the worst ever.

Besides, all the accounting fixes in the world won't change the fact that Canada is at a climate and geographical disadvantage or that the Canadian sports media has practically nothing else to obsess over besides the NHL. You can fix the tax issues but you still can't play golf in Edmonton in January like you can in Phoenix or LA. You still can't go to the grocery store in Toronto without people descending on you when they notice who you are. And you still can't bypass Quebec language laws if you play for the Habs and need to enroll your kids in school. Fixing the taxes won't stop a single player from including all 7 Canadian franchises in their no trade clauses.

Makar signs 6 years 54M

Really hoping we sign Hamilton, our D is below mediocre and just don't see Romanov being the offensive guy we need. But he's probably getting 9-10m and don't think we have the room for that with adding another forward or two.

Back