• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT #8: 2024/10/24 TOR v STL: Berube's Revenge

Ask him what markets he would accept a trade to. If he tries to be a dipshit about it and refuse to leave, I don't see how you can do anything but let him walk at the end of the year. We're past the point where there's any "potential" left there, he is what he is. He's a really good point producer and a top 5-10 RW in the league but he probably wants to be paid like a top 5 player in the league again. If you give him the money he wants (12.5+ or whatever he wants) you're placing a bet on him being the type of guy you can have in a winning core and I just don't think he is. This isn't the Kessel situation where Phil was alone on an island being blamed for the team going nowhere while Tyler Bozak fed him pucks on the 1st line. He's been fucking blessed with elite talent around him since the day he arrived in the league. We're already locked into the Cock and Willy, take the 22 million in cap space and don't fuck it up.
Amen bingo

No. We should have dumped him for nothing over the offseason to break up the core. Now we'll dump him for nothing on July 1st but after wasting another year of AM. We'd seen enough of this group.

Having said that, this is not the way things will go. They'll pick it up and then go back to who there were in the playoffs.
Core should have been broken up after the Habs playoff disaster

Players had cost certainty without trade clauses in place , solid returns on a few players

Core should have been broken up after the Habs playoff disaster

Players had cost certainty without trade clauses in place , solid returns on a few players
I agree. After losing back to back game 7s, they lost to the Jackets the year before and then to the Canadiens. They showed us who they were when the moment got big over and over and over and over again.

And another telling sign? Inability to win the division even once in their tenure not counting the bogus Canadian division.

And everything that is wrong with the group can be seen in Marner. Soft, inability to step up when it counts, over reliance on individual and linemates talents.

Marner will succeed but on a team who can be mentally tough. They have never even been close to being mentally tough enough to win big games as a group.

It's a disaster he is still here today. And will be a disaster if they resign him and keep the core together.

I agree. After losing back to back game 7s, they lost to the Jackets the year before and then to the Canadiens. They showed us who they were when the moment got big over and over and over and over again.

And another telling sign? Inability to win the division even once in their tenure not counting the bogus Canadian division.

And everything that is wrong with the group can be seen in Marner. Soft, inability to step up when it counts, over reliance on individual and linemates talents.

Marner will succeed but on a team who can be mentally tough. They have never even been close to being mentally tough enough to win big games as a group.

It's a disaster he is still here today. And will be a disaster if they resign him and keep the core together.
Great post , plus I dont see this team built to play Berube style hockey all year

Among the original “Big-3”, it’s not all on Marner.

Matthews has never, ever whipped his dick out in the playoffs and produced or looked like a true superstar. Not yet. And while Willy’s been the best of the bunch, he needs to find another level too. Especially at the salary he now commands.

But the bottom line is, if Matthews can’t lead a winner, this whole current era of Leaf hockey is doomed anyway. So you have to keep going back to the well with him. And Willy is a better, more complete winger than Mitch signed to a max-term deal for a far more reasonable number than Mitch would ever accept.

So, Mitch’s gotta go. Captain amulet too. That’s the shakeup you need to at least try.

Last edited:
these last two games have been something i dunno that we've seen before. like ever.

what's bizarre is that the coach and players don't even seem to have noticed how bad this was.

truly fucked up.

these last two games have been something i dunno that we've seen before. like ever.

what's bizarre is that the coach and players don't even seem to have noticed how bad this was.

truly fucked up.
Start of 2021 they got butt sexed by the sharks and then 7-1 vs the pens who were without Sid, Gino and letang.

Sharks game looked pretty even. After pitts they lost to Carolina and looks like shots from dots in were 17-12 for the canes.

This has been pretty bad but it’s happened before.

difference this time is Mitch on top of his usual start of throwing passes into skates is looking disinterested and Matthews hasn’t been getting picks in the high slot.

Plus JT looks pretty much toast.

Back