• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Buffalo 2/25 6:00

Well that sucked. Aho and Svech missed, Turbo had the game on his stick and hit the post. Then Necas was stopped.

I listened only too. Got a point is all I can say. I'm not wild about back to back games with travel inbetween. Everybody has to do it though. That, and I freakin' hate the slugs (though I like Kevyn Adams).

Jim

This is a game we should have won, but the boys looked visibly tired in the 3rd period and the Slugs controlled large parts of the play. When we gained the lead, I thought, "Great we pulled it off" but gave it away with some poor defensive play in our own zone. I'd complain about some of the calls against us, but we got away with some, too. Martin was really good.

This is a game we should have won, but the boys looked visibly tired in the 3rd period and the Slugs controlled large parts of the play. When we gained the lead, I thought, "Great we pulled it off" but gave it away with some poor defensive play in our own zone. I'd complain about some of the calls against us, but we got away with some, too. Martin was really good.
Yes, he stole the point last night. Martin also kept us in the game in Vegas before the team found their legs, the first period there was nightmarish.

Canes have sucked ass for years at this shootout crap, it never changes. Martin played great.
Well, when they lost Dougie and then Trocheck and never replaced them with anybody who is actually good at shootouts ... this is what you get.

In the Brind’Amour era, the Canes are 17-13 in Shootouts. Hamilton was 6/10, Trocheck was 3/8.

2018-19: 2-2
2019-20: 5-0
2020-21: 4-2
2021-22: 1-2
2022-23: 4-3
2023-24: 1-4

Among current Canes, KK is perfect, 1/1, Martinook is 1/2, Svech 10/21, Turbo 5/14, Aho 3/12, Necas and Burns both 2/9. Jarvis, Bunting, TDA, Skjei, Slavin and Noesen are a combined 0/15.

Tough to win shootouts when you have one guy who's even halfway decent. Gotta feel like Jarvis and Necas under-perform given their general amount of wiggle, but there's not a ton of unexplored options on the roster. I know that Drury was good at shootouts in the A ... but then again, so was Noesen and he looks hopeless against NHL keepers. This roster just isn't built for that element of the game.

And you could call those 2 the anomalies.
I guess ... it's not like they've never had anybody any good at shootouts. It just feels that way right now. For years and years, the biggest issue with shootouts for the Canes was that they didn't have a goalie who could stop a 1 on 1. That's one reason Mrazek got so popular so quickly.

Last edited:
I guess ... it's not like they've never had anybody any good at shootouts. It just feels that way right now. For years and years, the biggest issue with shootouts for the Canes was that they didn't have a goalie who could stop a 1 on 1. That's one reason Mrazek got so popular so quickly.
In 2019-20, when the Canes were undefeated in the shootout, Williams was 3/3, Svech was 3/4, Turbo was 2/4, Hamilton was 1/2. Necas, Aho, Slavin, Nino, Haula and Dzingel were a combined 0/7. Trocheck didn’t play any games that went to the shootout that season

In 2019-20, when the Canes were undefeated in the shootout, Williams was 3/3, Svech was 3/4, Turbo was 2/4, Hamilton was 1/2. Necas, Aho, Slavin, Nino, Haula and Dzingel were a combined 0/7. Trocheck didn’t play any games that went to the shootout that season
Yeah ... Williams was really good at shootouts too. Tro did his damage the following year, I think. And also, Mrazek was freakishly good at that one thing.

Back