• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Caps 1/5 7:00

TDA on the ice for the Capitals goal nowhere near his guy. The result = a little over 3 minutes of ice. That’s a well earned benching.
He played 6 shifts, closed the 2nd period and was stapled to the bench in the 3rd.

TDA on the ice for the Capitals goal nowhere near his guy. The result = a little over 3 minutes of ice. That’s a well earned benching.
And I never even noticed him on the ice afterwards during his few remaining shifts. This is not a case of him not playing in a while - he's looked lost on the ice for just about every game in which he's played.

By contrast, Ponomarev looked like he belongs on this team. Let's see how he performs tonight at the PNC.

And I never even noticed him on the ice afterwards during his few remaining shifts. This is not a case of him not playing in a while - he's looked lost on the ice for just about every game in which he's played.

By contrast, Ponomarev looked like he belongs on this team. Let's see how he performs tonight at the PNC.
Honestly, I think he'd actually clear waivers so maybe they can park DeAngelo in Chicago and carry somebody else as the extra D. Those toolbags who own the Wolves would love to have a name player even if he's more notorious than anything else. I figured he'd be about the same in his own end as he was in 21-22, but something must have happened to him in Philly. Torts took a thing that was broken and made it worse. Go figure.

The only other option that is really even remotely a possibility is Dylan Coghlan. Unless he has found his game in Springfield, that is a pretty shaky alternative.

I don't think any of Fensore, Seeley or Mendel will really ever be NHL regulars or even someone you would willingly put out there and play even 10 minutes in an NHL game. Our best SIGNED D prospect is probably Aleksi Heimosalmi. He is probably an NHL logshot too and of course is not readily available in North America.

Alexander Nikishin is by far our top Dman prospect, but alas, he is still years away and locked down in the KHL.

Coghlan would be the only guy you wouldn't care about missing development time watching our top 6 Dmen play from the press box. It probably would be a good idea to find another #7 Dman with NHL experience we could actually trust and as JB said, just bury DeAngelo in the minors (or if he refused to report, terminate his contract).

Another option down the road would be Scott Morrow. Last time I looked, UMass was mired in the middle of the Hockey East standings, so he could be available to be signed in early March if they miss the NCAAs. His development never really took off after his freshman year but he's still an NHL prospect and probably a better 7D option than anybody other Coghlan. It's been pretty widely assumed that the Canes would push to sign him at the end of his junior season. Maybe short term needs increase the urgency a bit. It would certainly be cheaper than trading for somebody ... presuming you could shed DeAngelo and get by with Coghlan in the interim.

Another option down the road would be Scott Morrow. Last time I looked, UMass was mired in the middle of the Hockey East standings, so he could be available to be signed in early March if they miss the NCAAs. His development never really took off after his freshman year but he's still an NHL prospect and probably a better 7D option than anybody other Coghlan. It's been pretty widely assumed that the Canes would push to sign him at the end of his junior season. Maybe short term needs increase the urgency a bit. It would certainly be cheaper than trading for somebody ... presuming you could shed DeAngelo and get by with Coghlan in the interim.
Mass is ranked 13th in the country. Of course that didn’t stop them from dropping a game in a shootout to the CORNELL BIG RED two weeks ago!

They‘re 11-5-3 overall. Their #13 ranking places them 4th among Hockey East teams, behind BC, BU, Maine and Providence. And New Hampshire, with whom they‘re tied in the league is 17th.

Rankings in college hockey mystify me. Same with college baseball.
Baseball is understandably mystifying, because even after the opening of the season got pushed back, sunbelt teams play way the heck more games early on, and top programs tend to schedule a lot of 3-game ooc series against each other, so that good teams can still have mediocre records and still be in there. Not to mention that the voters tend to be from the sunbelt, so that northern/midwest teams can get short shrift.

At least, that was true 10 or 15 years ago, which is when I stopped giving a crap about it.

Back