• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Ducks 10/15 8:30

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The Canes come off their self-described worst game ever to face the Ducks.

While a win is a win, and there are no style points in the standings, last night’s game against the Kings was bad. Blowing a 3 goal lead in the manner they did would normally give RBA lots to talk about in film sessions. But they may just flush this one. Maybe don’t leave the back door wide open all night tonight though? Raanta should make his season debut tonight. If they go 12/6 again, I’d hope to get Chatfield in for TDA. The PP isn’t working again, so they might as well get someone in the lineup that can play, you know, defense.

The Ducks are widely expected to be among the worst teams in the league. They’re coming off a season in which they finished DFL and then lost the Connor Bedard sweepstakes. Negotiations with Trevor Zegras pushed well into preseason, Jamie Drysdale’s took longer. But new coach Greg Cronin has reunited Zegras and Troy Terry on the top line with Adam Henrique. Their 2nd line has Frank Vatrano and Ryan Strome flanking Mason MacTavish. Beyond them…yeesh. Bedard consolation prize Leo Carlsson is out with a leg injury and offseason acquisition Alex Killorn is out 4-6 weeks with a broken finger. John Gibson’s numbers in goal have gotten worse each of the last 4 seasons, but he lost in Vegas last night, so we’ll probably see Lukas Dostal in goal tonight. Starting the backup at the home opener? Dostal was marginally better than Gibson last season, coming in at 3.74/.901.

Bally Sports South for TV.

The Ducks gave Carolina fits late last season by going full defensive sponge trap and then collapsing in around Gibson. That was kind of Travis Green's last stand before he lost that coaching job and I'm not gonna pretend to know how Greg Cronin is trying to set them up this season. I just know that his only pro experience is in Colorado's system where they play a lot more like Carolina than 90s New Jersey. Either way, this is a transition year for the Ducks so they're probably just in survival mode early on. They got pretty well squashed by Vegas in their only game so far, but I doubt there's much to learn from the game film. It's a 2 line team with iffy goaltending and a yard sale defense group. The Canes just need to push tempo, get to their forecheck, speed up Anaheim's decision making process and see if the Ducks can keep up.

I’ll actually be able to watch this one live. I was shooting the Miami UNC game last night. After editing all the photos I didn’t get home until almost 4 AM. I put the game on in my car via Bluetooth and listened to it all the way home and then finished watching it Laying in bed trying to fall asleep.

The Canes only took 1 point from the Ducks last season and are 3-3-4 in their last 10. Just weird against a team that has the 2nd worst record in the league over the last 5 years.

The Canes only took 1 point from the Ducks last season and are 3-3-4 in their last 10. Just weird against a team that has the 2nd worst record in the league over the last 5 years.
Let’s hope that all gets turned around tonight! I fully expect the Canes to respond to Rod’s critique of last nights game and play more like they should…which hopefully means a lopsided Canes victory of some sort.

Tonight’s officials:

Referees:
Brandon Schrader #34, Kendrick Nicholson #30

Linesmen:
Steve Barton #59, Caleb Apperson #77

Schrader followed the Canes down I-5 from LA. The Canes were 1-3-1 with Nicholson last season.

Canes are really close here to getting the Rod timeout berating at the bench…unless he decides to wait and peel the paint in the room at the end of one…nothing was learned apparently last night.

Back