• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Ducks 10/15 8:30

It took a while but I figured out what was going on. Brindy and the other coaches use X’s and O’s To show where they’re supposed to be. the canes were looking for the x’s on the ice.

In our first few games, it seems our vaunted defense has more holes than a kitchen colander. It wouldn't surprise me if this top-rated defense has given up more goals per game than any other team in the league. Maybe the team was believing all the hype we were receiving, but I hope the reality is sinking in now. The return of Turbo and our ability to score short-handed are the only positive highlights I've seen so far this season.

the defensive coverage is a mess. I don’t think that can all be laid at the feet of 77. The other pairings and the forwards aren’t good either. Even Staal is making mistakes. Not sure what’s going on.

I’d bench DeAngelo for Chatfield because not only does TDA not even attempt to play D or even realize he has defensive any responsibilities he’s lazy getting back. Thrre was at least one play where he was back, the puck dumped in and he was 10 yards ahead of the forechecker and he pulled up and let them have the puck with time and space.

I don't think anyone is seriously trying to blame one guy for the Canes defensive issues to start the season. Let me amend that ... I don't think anyone serious is trying to blame one guy. Plenty of people are doing it, but they're not people who need to be taken seriously.

That said, that third pair is a mess and one of them knows how to actually play defense, so ... Tony is an easy target. It's hard to call what he's been doing in the D zone good, so pointing him out isn't exactly wrong. In actual fact though, there's a lot going on with that forward line the third pairing has been working with and the Canes defend in 5 man units, not 2. KK has struggled to keep position in his own end, and I don't think Necas has shown anything like his best effort in the D zone ... and his decision making on D in transition has been worrisome at best. That line has also turned the puck over in dangerous areas WAY too much. A lot of guys have a lot of work to do to dial this in. The good news? Most of them have been there/done that.

In regards to the defense, besides the fact that it’s early in the year and these new guys have to settle in, long term, the noise about having all these “quality” guys IMHO might become an issue. Will be good to settle on a rotation.

Back