• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Flames 12/7 9:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
What team do we see tonight, a fragile and broken team or one with a little fight?

Last night happened. It will be interesting to see who goes in goal and if the line changes stay or revert to normal.

Like the Canes, the Flames have been a disappointment this year. They’re 4th in the Pacific with 23 points in 25 games and looking in their rear view mirror at Edmonton, in a virtual tie on points percentage. They’ve lost their last 2 and are 5-4-1 in their last 10. Their scoring is pretty balanced, they have 15 players with between 3 and 7 goals, led by Elias Lindholm. Jonathan Huberdeau and Nazim Kadri each have 11 assists. They lost goalie Jacob Markstrom to a broken finger, Dustin Wolf was recalled from AHL Calgary. Nominal backup Dan Vladar started the first game without Markstrom and only lasted 21 minutes, giving up 3 goals on 19 shots to the Wild. Wolf relieved him and gave up 2 goals on 15 shots. Wolf has been lights out in the AHL, I suspect we’ll see him tonight. The Flames are 21st in goals and goals against per game. Their PP is 27th and the PK is tied for 9th.

Back to Bally Sports South tonight.

They’re going to bounce back tonight.

First period: Great period defensively. Gave up 3 shots. We get one in on 18 shots.

Second period sees 2 Flames goals. One on the first shot of the period. One on the 4th shot with 33 seconds left. So canes down 2-1 despite only allowing 7 shots through 2.

Third. Flames score 3. One an empty netter. Lindholm with the hatty.

Final 5-1 Flems.

First period: Great period defensively. Gave up 3 shots. We get one in on 18 shots.

Second period sees 2 Flames goals. One on the first shot of the period. One on the 4th shot with 33 seconds left. So canes down 2-1 despite only allowing 7 shots through 2.

Final 5-1 Flems.
Nostradamus could not have predicted it better! Well done!

Final 5-1 Flems.
You missed 5 assists from Hanifin.

And Dustin Wolf the AHL fill in looks like the second coming of Terry Sawchuk tonight and stone walls those mighty Canes shots that somehow stick to his crest like glue.
Wolf has been solid his last 2 seasons in the AHL, GAA below 2.20, save % above .925. This year, he’s at 2.50/.920.

Aside from a smack upside the head, I have no idea what it might take to get this team playing like they're capable of. I guarantee RBA lit them up after last night's debacle. They may have caught whatever funk Edmonton had earlier in the year. Turn this thing around, Boys! We are not entertained.

Jim

Back