• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Islanders 11/4 7:30

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
After a hard fought loss in Manhattan, the Canes head east to Long Island for a playoff rematch.

The team practiced at UBS Arena yesterday but it was radio silence. RBA put the lines in the blender again on Thursday, so we won’t know who is playing where until later. Probably Raanta in goal.

The isles have 12 points in 9 games and have points in 4 straight. They’re coming off a 3-0 win over the Caps on Thursday but lost dman Adam Pelech to injury in the 1st period. No word on his status, they didn’t practice yesterday. They don’t score much, only 24 goals in 9 games, but they don’t give up much either, allowing 23. Brock Nelson has 5 goals, Noah Dobson has 7 assists. Ilya Sorokin’s numbers in goal aren’t as good as his last 3 seasons, he’s at 2.99/.910 in 6 games. Semyon Varlamov has been otherworldly, at 1.00/.972. Their PP isn’t good, tied for 21st at 14.8%. They’ve only drawn 27 penalties, tied for 2nd fewest in the league, and only have 4 PP goals, the same number that Seth Jarvis has. Their PK is 14th at 81.3%.

Bally Sports South for TV

3 of the Isles' 4 loses have come at home, which is a bit odd considering their home ice success last season. Then again, it's early days so the sample sizes are still small. Weird to see Varlamov outplaying Sorokin, but again ... early days. If they stick to the schedule, it should be Sorokin against the Canes tonight, but we'll see.

Tonight’s officials:

Referees:
Wes McCauley #4, Francois St. Laurent #8

Linesmen:
James Tobias #61, Libor Suchanek #60.

The Canes were 2-2-1 with McCauley and 3-0 with St. Laurent last year. This pair worked together on Thursday.

Raanta in goal. TDA paired with Orlov. Bunting out for personal reasons, so Lemieux draws in. Necas moves off the 4th line.

Kotkaniemi ties it!
Beautiful play all around.. Noesen puck hound effort (a no-assist assist), sweet Svech pass, and KK absolutely ROOFED it... It's gotta be a special play to beat Sorokin when you're getting Sorokin'ed. The other two were deflections off Islanders

Last edited:
I'm not sorry to say that I quit watching after the score became 3-0, but I am embarrassed to say that I kept peeking at the score and finally tuned back in the 3rd, a few minutes before we closed the gap to make it 3-2. We were all over them in the final period, but solving Sorokin seemed like a lost cause - until it didn't. Some great assists by Svech, a good game by KK, and some smooth skating from Necas and Aho in the OT made the difference. A comeback win like this should help this team regain its swagger.

Back