• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Islanders 4/28 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Another chance to close out the series and get a few extra days rest.

The Canes were undone by 2 brain dead turnovers and a bad bounce off Aho’s face on Tuesday. RBA mixed up the lines a bit on Friday, moving Martinook to KKs line and swapping Pool Party and Mac Mac late. Could we see Andersen tonight?

The Isles reunited Horvat, Barzal and Lee on Tuesday but Engvall and Nelson did the most damage, with a goal and assist each. Sorokin was a rebound machine but the Canes couldn’t find the handle on them.

Bally Sports South and TBS for TV tonight.

I expect the Isles to stick with that top line. They had a terrific territorial advantage even though they didn't generate a ton of high danger looks. For me the question is whether or not they can maintain trapping discipline at home. NYI played a classic playoff road game on Tuesday, but have trended heavily towards over-aggression on home ice. Against this Canes team they're better off sitting back, stepping into passing lanes and then breaking with the turnovers. That forces the Canes to chip and grind and while they do that really well, it takes more energy to generate offense that way. For Carolina ... just take better care of the puck. Too many times on Tuesday, a hopeful or sloppy pass negated a period of possession before generating a look. Patience, grasshoppers.

This series still gives me a bad vibe...Canes always make things difficult for themselves, we all know this is probably going seven now and the series should be over with a week of rest.

No morning skate. RBA met with the press a little while ago and didn’t name a starter in goal. He said “I’ll let you guys sweat it out”.

The one thing about the Hurricanes is that they play a strong team game and are willing to work together— needed in the playoffs. As long as they manage the puck and no one guy tries to overcompensate, the game is winnable. When guys start doing too much, then bad passes and out of position issues crop up. Let the NYI buy into their “ Identity Line” hype and make sure we don’t.

Honestly, what the Canes could use tonight is for some of the D other than Burns to get involved in the O zone. The forwards are having a tough time creating their own space and they're short handed on creativity with Turbo out and crash/bang with Svech out. Those guys can be a LOT more active beyond just throwing pucks in front.

Enough perimeter hockey, start going down the middle more. Anticipate the fish‘s moves, don’t react.
when your team has the puck GET IN THE OPEN.
and rapid puck movement. Get the fish moving, especially the goalie.

Back