• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Lightning 10/24 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
A 7:00 game? To quote my father, that’s the most unheard of thing I’ve ever heard of.

The Canes came back from a wobbly west coast trip at 3-3. The injuries piled up on the trip and, by the time all was said and done, Aho, Andersen and Pesce joined Svech on the shelf. Kochetkov was sent back to Syracuse, Burke was left in Colorado, and there is hope that all but Svech could play tonight. Svech practiced in a regular jersey yesterday but he said he’s still a few practices away. Maybe at the end of the week.

As disappointing as the Canes have been, the Bolts at least equal it. They’re 2-2-2 so far and, without Vasilevskiy in goal, they’re not keeping the puck out much better than the Canes, allowing 4 goals per game. But they’re still scoring and the usual suspects and Brandon Hagel are all averaging at least a point per game. But they’re top heavy, they have 14 skaters on the scoresheet but 6 of them have 2 points or fewer. And while Point is averaging better than a point per game, he hasn’t had a goal yet (I know, first of the season incoming). Jonas Johansson has started 5 games in goal. He’s been around, having played 35 games for 3 organizations over 4 seasons. He’s at 3.58/.902 for the season, his career numbers aren’t any better, 3.35/.890.

Bally Sports South for TV. All 32 teams are playing tonight with start times staggered from 6:00 to 11:00 tonight. ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPN+ are running a “Frozen Frenzy” all night.

Tampa appears to be attempting to get by on shot suppression, with their one man security blanket on the shelf. It's not really their game, and it's shown in the results thus far, but they're still so stinking good on the rush and on special teams that they're gonna be dangerous every single night. Tampa is NOT a great opponent to draw when you're struggling on D yourself and I'm not sure throwing Andersen back into the fire with no live practice time is wise ... at least not in the short run. I'm not sure putting Raanta in the net on his current run of form is wise either, so ... whatever. Carolina tends to climb out of holes like this in increments, so perhaps they just focus on allowing less quality chances against tonight and worry about results later.

Back on East Coast time, soon back in the comforts of home...clean up the mess known as our defense, get better goaltending and start playing the way this team is capable of...hopefully that all starts tonight.

Tonight’s officials:

Referees:
Carter Sandlak #29, Brian Pochmara #16

Linesmen:
Derek Nansen #70, Tommy Hughes #65

Sandlak is in his first year as a full time NHL ref, he spent the last 2 years on a split schedule. He was a Canes prospect at one time, playing 54 games for the Checkers and 29 for the Everblades over 2 seasons. He’s had a fast rise through the ranks, having only retired as a player in 2018. The Canes went 2-1 with him last year. Pochmara is coming up on 1,100 games. The Canes were 2-3-1 with him last year.

Coghlan was recalled from Springfield. So I’m guessing Pesce is a no go for tonight.

Edit: Pesce didn’t travel, so he’s definitely out. Aho and Andersen skated but RBA only says ”it’s possible” they could go tonight.

Last edited:
Coghlan was recalled from Springfield. So I’m guessing Pesce is a no go for tonight.

Edit: Pesce didn’t travel, so he’s definitely out. Aho and Andersen skated but RBA only says ”it’s possible” they could go tonight.

Well didn’t they send koochie koochie koo back…. So how is it only ‘possible’. I guess Alves is bringing his gear

Andersen could be well enough to back up but not play 60…

My opinion on that is that if you are well enough to back up, you are well enough to start, no? I mean, with Raanta's injury history (and Andersen's too of course) it is just as likely he plays 2 periods as a backup, as he does sitting on his keister eating Jolly Ranchers. Especially since his issue was cranium related....I mean, you can't be partially ok with a dome related injury.

Alright jabronies, let's at least see less than four goals given up by the bad guys tonight. We can call that progress

At some point, the Canes recalled Kochetkov because he led the team into the ice for warmups. Andersen backs him up.

Back