• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Blues 1/6 8:00

RBA...sends out Jordan Martinook 5th. Does any goalie in the league have a book on Ponomarev?
That was my exact comment on our way home from the game last night.

And regarding shootouts: I hate the painfully slow approach that seems to be the preferred method these days. I wish more players would treat this like a breakaway.

That was my exact comment on our way home from the game last night.

And regarding shootouts: I hate the painfully slow approach that seems to be the preferred method these days. I wish more players would treat this like a breakaway.
Yeah, coming in slowly lets the goalie more easily match the shooter’s speed. Did you notice how far out of the crease Binnington was? Come in with speed and he has to retreat more quickly. Of course, if the shooter can’t make a move at speed it’s moot.

It’s all easy in theory for a guy sitting in the 3rd level, who can barely skate. But something has to give on the shootout. And for the love of God, send out an attacking team to start OT instead of 2 possession guys.

Linesman Invents puck out of Zone..
The younger linesman (Fournier?) had a rough night. He was fortunate there were so few goals scored because he couldn't set his blue line to save his life. There were 6-8 rushes off of missed offsides calls and more than a couple of mystery calls like that one on Pesce late.

Otherwise, shootouts are shootouts by which I mean they're a ridiculous way to award points. Nobody complains about the order when you win, but they didn't so everything is awful.

It's been a while, but Binnington 100% goalie-ed the Canes last night, with almost 3 goals saved above expected. It happens, and you thank Bettman for the loser point and move on. On the upside, Raanta looked like a professional goaltender last night for the first time in a LONG time. So, hey ... there's positives.

Last edited:
Yeah, coming in slowly lets the goalie more easily match the shooter’s speed. Did you notice how far out of the crease Binnington was? Come in with speed and he has to retreat more quickly. Of course, if the shooter can’t make a move at speed it’s moot.

It’s all easy in theory for a guy sitting in the 3rd level, who can barely skate. But something has to give on the shootout. And for the love of God, send out an attacking team to start OT instead of 2 possession guys.
The "Burns has to be my first shootout guy every time" is way past the sell by date...change that up quick. And I am right there with ya andyt on starting every overtime with an attacking team...Brindy is so damn stubborn at times with change it's make my head hurt.

He moves Svech to his strong side and moves Aho on the PP, and the PP is now 3rd in the league, a mere 1% behind the top ranked Rags.
I don't get his resistance to try new things sometimes.

Part of what we call inflexibility is Brindy backing his players ... which is one of the reasons they love to play for him. Mind you, it's a fine line between trusting a guy to come out of a slump (for example) and stubbornly using a guy who isn't producing.

Back