• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Bolts 3/28 7:00

And yet are 2nd still overall in the league standings.
In the last 2 weeks we got a taste of the playoff competition and I don’t think they liked it. They didn’t look good in any of the recent games. Svetch being out means they have 1 scoring line so we’re easy to defend.

Honestly they look a lot like they did last spring. They’re going to have to find a way to pull things back together.

The Canes seem to be ate up with inconsistency. Some games we are unbeatable, others are junk. Maybe it’s time to take a serious look at management. Even Roddy interviews are laid back. We can’t continue with this on again, off again performance.

My hope is that we get over this recent slump just in time for the playoffs. My fear is that this inconsistency is indicative of what we'll see in the playoffs.

I left the arena after the empty net goal. There was really nothing to like about this game. I thought both teams looked pretty bad, but Tampa scored on its opportunities and we didn't. Spotty goaltending and a lackluster Powerplay continue to haunt this team. I'm also seeing more of last year's Necas, who is trying to do too much on his own and ends up turning the puck over. Awful performance - do better.

Yeah ... first line got outplayed last night* and Tampa managed to lock down/muck up the ice otherwise. Otherwise Kuchetkov got beat a couple of times and Vasilevskiy didn't ... ballgame. I wouldn't say the kid was bad or anything, but I'm sure he wants that weird mishit from Stamkos back. Otherwise he gave up two solid goals and you have to be able to score at this level.

Honestly, Brindy was right in the post game. Call it jump, call it energy, call it whatever but the guys had chances all night, especially on rebounds, but they consistently got beat to loose pucks. Ditto the 50/50 stuff. They were a step late all game against a team that is decidedly not faster than them. It just wasn't there last night and Carolina gets really hard to watch when they don't have their legs.

*which absolutely happens when you have a cobbled together first line playing against freaking Stamkos, Kucherov and Point

The playoffs are a game of attrition and the dynamics completely shift in the post season. The inconsistency demonstrates the lack of preparations by the front office— trying build a Cup ready team each off season with no real shoring up of weaknesses. So, Pacioretty and Kase were “no go’s” all season and no replacements or supporting cast were obtained. Now, when attrition takes its toll in the form of Svech and perhaps Noesen, the team is reduced to one line and too many players trying to do so much that we are out of position, taking more chances and making poor passes resulting in turnovers.

I sensed Rod's tone in the post game presser about the importance of winning the division...he went as far as saying there will not be any guys being rested in these last ten games as long as that Metro division title is out there for the taking! I think he knows as much as anyone that he wants nothing to do with second or third in the Metro and that harder first round opponent. That's not underselling a team like the Islanders, it's just the fact that the Metro gets you more than just a first round opponent not named the Rangers or Devils...it gets you home ice for at least two rounds of playoffs...maybe more if Boston was ever bounced in the first two rounds...

The Canes seem to be ate up with inconsistency. Some games we are unbeatable, others are junk. Maybe it’s time to take a serious look at management. Even Roddy interviews are laid back. We can’t continue with this on again, off again performance.
You are new…Grace is given.

You don’t re-think the best coach this team has had nor do you sink the ship on GMDW— he’s done more with this team in five years than has been done in the past decade. You also don’t make that comment when you’re still #2 overall in the league and still with the chance to clinch the Metro. The anxiety is how we will perform in the playoffs given the causes of the inconsistencies— injuries.

You are new…Grace is given.

You don’t re-think the best coach this team has had nor do you sink the ship on GMDW— he’s done more with this team in five years than has been done in the past decade. You also don’t make that comment when you’re still #2 overall in the league and still with the chance to clinch the Metro. The anxiety is how we will perform in the playoffs given the causes of the inconsistencies— injuries.
New to forum - yes, not the sport - grace accepted.
My point is, much like the Dolly Parton movie “9 to 5 or movie or movie “Office Space”, don’t assume every facet of labor is due to the workforce. Look up and down the spectrum.

New to forum - yes, not the sport - grace accepted.
My point is, much like the Dolly Parton movie “9 to 5 or movie or movie “Office Space”, don’t assume every facet of labor is due to the workforce. Look up and down the spectrum.
I mean, that's all well and good but we were all here before ... and things SUCKED for 10 freaking years. Then they got the current owner, GM, management staff and coach and they've made the playoffs for five consecutive years, won two Division titles and are on track for a 3rd. They finished with the 2nd best record in the league last season and are in position to finish in the top 5 again this year if not second again ... where they currently sit. I'm sorry, but what you're talking about is massive system change to a system that is working pretty doggone well.

Now are you bored with success or just not satisfied with anything other than that one shiny object? That's a question you have to ask yourself I guess, but if you've been around as long as you intimate then I'd hope you'd have enough perspective not to over-react to short term setbacks. I apologize for any lack of grace, but that ain't really what I do around here

The inconsistency demonstrates the lack of preparations by the front office— trying build a Cup ready team each off season with no real shoring up of weaknesses. So, Pacioretty and Kase were “no go’s” all season and no replacements or supporting cast were obtained. Now, when attrition takes its toll in the form of Svech and perhaps Noesen, the team is reduced to one line and too many players trying to do so much that we are out of position, taking more chances and making poor passes resulting in turnovers.
I disagree. Patches was an addition. Chatfield has been great. Noesen has been solid. Burns has been a big upgrade over TDA. Necas has stepped back up. This is a damned good team. Had Kase and Patches and Svetch stayed in the lineup… holy smokes.

Patches was a gamble but only in the sense that he’s been injury plagued. We didn’t give up ANYTHING for him. and we didn’t put ourselves behind the 8 ball where our future is concerned with pretty much having ALL of our contracts coming up.

we can keep complaining that we needed to make a better move but what was the move available to us that we passed on and how much more difficult would it make continued excellence- because that’s where we are.

Yeah, look ... the front office attempted to address two weaknesses from last season with their off season moves. It worked great in one area and not so well in the other.

The Canes needed offensive finishers. It's easy to dismiss the move for Pacioretty because he got hurt twice, but let's not pretend that they did nothing. That was a big financial/cap commitment, it just didn't work out. Proof of concept exists in the form of those 4 games the guy did play. He produced and the line balance was truly excellent. Likewise, Stastny was brought in to be a secondary option to add some offense but the age curve has caught up to him, but that was a lower key move. They also counted on guys like Necas and Svech to take a step up on their development curve, and that worked out just fine.

The other moves were on D and again, it's tough to pick them apart. Burns has been a major upgrade on DeAngelo, since you no longer have to shelter your primary offensive d-man. Plus, he's just obviously a better fit. Likewise Chatfield has made that 3rd pairing his own and brought mobility and aggression to a position group that had been slow and and generally sketchy last season.

Back