• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Canucks 2/6 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The last push to the playoffs begins against the hot Canucks.

Everyone was at practice yesterday, Svech was still in a yellow sweater and is almost definitely out. Kochetkov came back with a missing tooth and a sunburn. Jarvis should have sweated out all the beer he drank in Mexico…at least it wasn’t water, or he’d have other issues.

The Canucks are also coming off their bye, they last played on January 27, a shootout win over the Jackets. They’re the hottest team in the league not named Edmonton, on a 11 game point streak. Their last regulation loss was more than a month ago, January 4 at the Blues. They’re tied with the Bruins atop the league with 71 points in 49 games. The NHL leader board is littered with Canucks. JT Miller, Elias Pettersson and Quinn Hughes are all in the top 10 in the league in points. Brock Boeser and Pettersson are in the top 10 in goals. Thatcher Demko is in the top 10 in goals against and Save %. And they added Elias Lindholm before the All-Star game. They lead the league in goals per game and are 2nd in goals against. They’re 8th on the PP and 15th on the PK.

Red jerseys tonight. Bally Sports South for TV.

Canes notorious for bad starts after long breaks; just be competitive tonight and not flat please.

If a team was hot a week and a half ago, are they still hot? A question Vancouver and Edmonton will have to answer tonight, I guess. The Canes sure looked like a team that needed a break in late January. They were getting results, but it closing out games looked like hard work. Things are notoriously bumpy in the NHL after these breaks, so we'll see what we get. Vancouver was on the PDO streak of a lifetime, and really getting mileage out of insane seasons from three guys and a resurgent Thatcher Demko. You guys know the drill ... slow down the big boys and hope you can overwhelm Demko with volume shooting.

The lines and pairings in the morning skate are the same as at practice. Svech still in yellow. Kochetkov in goal.

Martinook-Aho-Teravainen
Bunting-Drury-Necas
Jarvis-Staal-Fast
Lemieux-Kotkaniemi-Noesen

Slavin-Burns
Skjei-Pesce
Orlov-Chatfield

FWIW, when he's been generally playing well otherwise, Pettersson has freaking tormented Carolina in the past ... and old buddy Lindholm has been a PIA at times in the past as well. Having Lindy to give them another option at center COULD be huge for Vancouver, depending on what they do with him. They don't really have the wingers to load up a third offensive line right now, so he might end up playing wing for awhile. We'll see.

...Kochetkov came back with a missing tooth and a sunburn...

Sounds like a hockey goalie.

Not that the schedule monkey knew how good Vancouver was going to be this season, but coming back after that long layoff to play the #1 and #3 overall teams is going to be interesting.

On one side you could say the perfect time to get the Canucks is after they haven't played for 9 days AND are integrating a new player into their lineup and are in your barn on the East coast. On the other side of course the Canes have also not played for 9 days and are starting a goalie who hasn't played competitively in 25 days and apparently has a sunburn.

No feel for how this is going to turn out tonight.

Last edited:
What did I miss? What is specifically wrong with Svech? I thought he’d be back now.
An oblique muscle injury. Not that big a deal, but the only treatment is rest, really. And it's his second oblique injury of the season, so it's better if he doesn't push it.

The NandO had a piece on Monday https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nhl/carolina-hurricanes/article284835581.html

FWIW, I'm just coming off an oblique tear myself. 10 days from start to finish, but I don't have to go crank slappers at a pro level while wearing skates ... and I'm still stiff as a board every morning

Last edited:
Drew the short straw with the schedule guy on getting this freaking team coming out of the break, awful gut feeling on this one tonight. Canes are indeed consistently slow out of the gate and that does not bode well against this Canucks team.

Drew the short straw with the schedule guy on getting this freaking team coming out of the break, awful gut feeling on this one tonight. Canes are indeed consistently slow out of the gate and that does not bode well against this Canucks team.
But oh, what an opportunity! (says Pollyanna).

At least they’re coming off their bye too.

I am shooting a basketball game tonight. The goal is to avoid all sports apps and pop up notifications on my phone that are determined to ruin the outcome for me.

We should do a drinking game for every time Maniscalco says "all star Sebastian Aho," as he is saying it every time he touches the puck.

So Tripp said goaltending is our strength. Something about having a month til the deadline and Raanta and Anderson are great in the playoffs.

We should do a drinking game for every time Maniscalco says "all star Sebastian Aho," as he is saying it every time he touches the puck.
The same Aho who was criticized for his lack of effort? I mean, it's a bogus exhibition game, but several outlets spoke about his lack of effort.

Back