• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Devils 10/15 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
After a Milton-imposed delay, it’s finally game 2.

The Canes looked out of sorts in the opener against Tampa. Only Staal’s line looked like they had any idea of how to hockey on a consistent basis. And the PK was gashed for 2 goals, the first within the first 12 seconds, the 2nd in 6 seconds on a goal that Andersen should have stopped. In the practices since, the lines remained as they were during the game, so we’ll see if that holds. Kochetkov was in the starter’s crease yesterday, we‘ll see what happens at the morning skate.

Unlike the Canes, the Devils have already played 5 games, including the season opener in Prague. They’re 4-1, losing only to the Leafs so far. They shut out Utah last night. Newcomer Paul Cotter leads with 4 goals, old friend Stefan Noesen leads with 6 points, his 4 assists tie him with Erik Haula for the team lead. Our other old friend, Brett Pesce is on IR. Jake Allen played in goal last night, so we’ll see Jacob Markstrom tonight.

Red jerseys tonight, Bally Sports South for TV. It’s First Responders Night at the arena, various vehicles will be on display on the South Plaza before the game. And schedule magnets to 10,000 fans on the way out.

Time to stop the Rod Blend'amour and let these lines develop some chemistry. Our top players needs to be our top players, and I'm tired of saying that repeatedly for what seems like years now. Orlov was slow to start last year which I put on TA, but for $7M he needs to get it going sooner rather than later.

OK ... Game 2. You can either wipe out the first game and move on or use it as an object lesson. Doesn't bother me either way so long as the Fancy Dan, poorly disciplined play from the forwards stops. You'd think these guys would be smart enough to know that they can't play that way in this system, but it does seem to be a lesson that requires re-learning at some point in every season.

I haven't really settled in to watch a whole game of the Devils under Keefe, so I'm interested to see what he's got going on with them. Thus far it looks like their depth guys are carrying their 5v5 scoring a lot more than you'd expect, but the sample size isn't exactly significant. With Pesce and Luke Hughes out, this won't be their normal defense rotation but they've been hard to score on early on and the goaltending changes have absolutely made a positive impact on their outlook. Should be a good mental test for the Canes, if nothing else.

No changes to the lines at the morning skate. Kochetkov is in the starter’s crease. The only change is that Stillman is skating in a regular jersey for the first time.

Svechnikov - Aho - Jarvis
Roslovic - Kotkaniemi - Necas
Martinook - Staal - Carrier
Robinson - Drury - Blake

Slavin - Burns
Gostisbehere - Walker
Orlov - Chatfield
Stillman - Lemieux

Kochetkov | Andersen

Can someone please let me know if there is a printable line-up sheet available somewhere online? I have been searching and can't find one.

Can someone please let me know if there is a printable line-up sheet available somewhere online? I have been searching and can't find one.
Not sure if they make those available on the team site. Most of us trawl up the lines on Twitter from Walt Ruff

For the record ... really looking for a good start from Kochetkov tonight, regardless of outcome. If this team is going to max out their point total, they need a big step up from the Russian netminder. Step one: not playing like a blind man in your first start. And remember, he's not a prospect anymore and isn't even particularly young. He's 25 and played his first KHL games in 2018. Kid gloves off so far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
Back