• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Ducks 2/25 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The Canes wrap up a 5 game homestand before heading west.

Father Finn pitched his 3rd shutout of the season, Svech and Jarvis stayed hot and Skjei scored from the bar at The Deck. Expect Freddie to get the start against his former team.

The Ducks have climbed out of last in the league, beating Washington on Thursday. They’re 3-5-2 in their last 10 and have 43 points in 58 games. They’re wrapping up a 4 game swing through the old Southeast Division, losing to Tampa and Florida before beating the Caps, which broke a 6 game losing streak. Trevor Zegras is worth the price of admission most nights and is their leading scorer with 19 goals and 29 assists, the latter tied with Troy Terry, who was just activated from IR. Adam Henrique replaced him on IR. They have 6 players with more than 10 goals but 5 players at -20 or worse, which puts them in the bottom 20 in the league. A regulation or OT win by the Canes tonight will push the Ducks goal differential back into triple digits; their -99 is 31 worse than next to last Columbus. Their goaltending is a mess. John Gibson has started 39 games and is at 4.01/.900. Anthony Stolarz is the nominal backup with 12 starts but he’s injured. Lukas Dostal was recalled from AHL San Diego after picking up co-MVP honors at their All-Star game. He hasn’t been good with the Ducks at 4.23/.895. As you’d imagine for a team as bad as the Ducks are, their team stats stink; DFL in goals for and against per game, 31st on the PP, 30th on the PK.

Black jerseys tonight, Bally Sports South for TV.

Washington is really reeling right now, so I wouldn't give the Ducks too much credit on that W. Even the worst NHL is capable of winning on any given night. That said, the Ducks really are bad. The traditional numbers look terrible, the underlying numbers might be even worse, the goaltending is woeful, and aside from a couple of VERY watchable players, there is absolutely nothing to recommend this team. And this is not a team that was trying to be this bad. Nope, they thought they were still a playoff bubble team at worst. Woof.

That said, they can beat you if you screw around (cough ... Caps) so best to stick to the system and take care of business. Anaheim is pretty good in transition, but they lose faith when they're starved of possession. Guess what Carolina's pretty good at doing? Should set up well for the Canes so long as they can find the dial that turns up the puck pressure.

The Ducks beat us 4-3 in OT in the middle of our 5-game road trip in December, giving us our only L of the month. We have let a few of the league's lesser lights (ANA, ARI, CBJ, VAN) take points from us this year so I'm not counting the "dub" until I see the Storm Surge. A 5-0 homestand before they head West again would be sweet though.

Correct. Anybody can beat anybody in the NHL. A big chunk of Anaheim's current win total came against teams currently in the playoffs ... Carolina, Toronto, Vegas, Edmonton, Dallas. Same for the other two deadbeats. Columbus and Chicago both have a fair number of wins over the better teams in the league. It's the NHL, man ... it's like this every year.

Aargh, can't put the Ducks away and now they jump on top.

And FYI in case you have family member at Crabtree tonight like I do.. sorry but I'm a bit distracted

Aargh, can't put the Ducks away and now they jump on top.

And FYI in case you have family member at Crabtree tonight like I do.. sorry but I'm a bit distracted

Friggin sad state of affairs. I was walking thru Southpoint today and caught myself looking around for potential idiots.

Canes playing great transition hockey, perimeter hockey in the ducks zone and who knows what in their own zone.

Back