• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Habs 12/28 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The back end of a back to back and last home game for 9 days.

The Canes took it to the Preds in Nashville on the strength of the special teams. The PP was 3 for 6, the PK was dented for only the 2nd time this month but held the Preds to 1 goal on 4 chances. Kochetkov was great at times, I’m sure he’d like the Preds 2nd goal back. Expect Raanta in net tonight.

The Habs surprisingly sit above NHL .500 with 35 points in 33 games. They’re 5-3-2 in their last 10, coming off a win over the Blackhawks. They haven’t played since 12/22 and spent yesterday in Raleigh, getting a practice in. The Habs have pretty balanced scoring, Nick Suzuki leads with 10 goals. Sean Monahan is right behind with 9, Cole Caufield has 8 and they have 5 more with at least 5. Suzuki has 20 assists, Mike Matheson has 19. Suzuki has 14 of his 30 points on the PP, Matheson has 13 of 24, Monahan has half his points on the PP. The Habs have a 3 headed monster in goal. We’ll see Cayden Primeau tonight, he’s at 3.20/.902 in 7 games. Sam Montembeault is at 2.86/.907 in 15 games, future Cane Jake Allen is at 3.43/.904 in 12 games. They’re 27th in goals per game at 2.79 and 21st in goals against. They’re 22nd on the PP and 29th on the PK, so the Canes should be able to continue the PP hot streak.

Red jerseys tonight. Bally Sports South for TV.

Expect Raanta in net tonight.
Ugh. Bring the rosary beads, I've got a feeling he's going to need all the help he can get. This Canes team is not the fresh young colts they were a few years ago. Lots of grey in the beards and cement in the legs on these back to back nights. I'm hoping Roddy will be more pragmatic in his player usage tonight than he was in the last back to back set. Nobody got heavy minutes last night, really. Burns was over 20, but a lot of that was less draining PP time. Otherwise, Skjei was the only one with over 20 minutes and he's got iron lungs.

Correct call...Drury's skate made contact with Primeau's skate before the shot got to the crease.

That is 3 strikes and you are out for Raanta. You cannot be an NHL goalie who is easily beaten by a glove side wraparound just about every single time.

Sorry Raanta, but that is quite enough of you please!

Back