• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Kings 1/31 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The Canes close out the home portion of the first half against the Kings.

Coming off what was possibly their best game of the season, the Canes took yesterday off with no practice or media availability. We’ll see about Slavin and who is in goal at the skate, but with a game in Buffalo tomorrow, Raanta will play one of them.

The Kings are in a dogfight in the Pacific, 3rd with 62 points in 50 games. But the top 4 are separated by 4 points. They lost in Tampa on Saturday but had won their previous 3 including Friday against the Panthers. They’re 6-4 in their last 10. Adrian Kempe leads with 20 goals, Kevin Fiala has 35 assists and is averaging a point per game. Like the Canes, the Kings have used 3 goalies this season. Ancient Jonathan Quick has started 24 games and has not been good, 3.41/.881. In his last 10 starts he’s only had a save % above .900 twice. Pheonix Copley has started 19 games and has better numbers than Quick, he’s at 2.82/.901. The Kings are 14th in goals per game, 23rd in goals against. They’re 10th on the PP, 24th on the PK.

Red jerseys tonight. Bally Sports South and NHL Network for TV.

Once again ... I wrote this while you were writing yours.

Carolina is riding high after that comprehensive beatdown they hung on Boston, but still have two more games to wedge in before the All Star break. So, LA visits the PNC tonight for game 1 of of the "let's get this over with" section of the schedule. We'll get updates from the Canes morning skate, but it probably makes sense to play Raanta against the Western team and hold Freddie for Buffalo. Plus, the Sabres have a lot more offensive zip than the Kings.

Speaking of LA ... once again they hang around in playoff position without actually being any good. The Kings are the only current playoff bound team with a negative goal differential, which ... c'mon. The Pacific Division has completely fallen apart to the point where they had to reach alllllllllllllllll the way to Stuart Skinner to find a competent goalie for the All Star roster. I mean, everybody is OK, but nobody's actually good. Congrats on being Gary Bettman's ideal division. LA was having a pretty neat road trip up until Tampa caved in their skulls on Saturday. Up to that point they had ridden a rare Pheonix Copley (yes, that's how his Mom spelled his first name) to three straight wins. Quick took the collar in Tampa, so Carolina will see Copley, one assumes. As I recall, he played here at least once when he was with the Caps so at least he's seen the barn before. Aside from their first line, the Kings don't really score much. They're competent otherwise and have one of the best shutdown lines in the league. They aren't scary and they aren't really outstanding at anything, they're just not fun to play against. Perfect modern NHL team.

Wonder how much of Slavin being out is related to them winning while he’s resting. If he’s not perfect they can let him keep resting while Chatfield continues to rise to the occasion. Of course with all the secrecy you just never know.

Wonder how much of Slavin being out is related to them winning while he’s resting. If he’s not perfect they can let him keep resting while Chatfield continues to rise to the occasion. Of course with all the secrecy you just never know.
It's Slavin, so I'd say none. He's the kind of guy where if he can go, he's in.

That said, with the Canes in decent shape in the standings, there's no point in pushing it with anyone's health. And yes, if they'd ever actually talk about any of this stuff, there'd be no reason to speculate.

I would definitely keep Slavin out of these final 2 pre-All start break games. Give him 2 more weeks to fully heal whatever is ailing him.
Walt Ruff says Slavin is working as the 7th dman, so he’s out. Freddie is in the starter’s crease.

Some love for Copley from Kevin Weekes. His GAA and Save % aren’t stellar, but he’s 15-3.

I would definitely keep Slavin out of these final 2 pre-All start break games. Give him 2 more weeks to fully heal whatever is ailing him.
I expected the game against Boston would be more difficult with Slavin out. Turns out a total team effort top to bottom helps overcome missing pieces. Agree with the let him rest to get over whatever ding he's recovering from. Rest is a hard thing to come by during the season. Take advantage of it while it's not costing you anything.

Jim

Back