• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Lightning 10/11 7:00

Going to need to repeat 'Just Game 1' over and over again until the next one. That was an ugly effort tonight. Everything looked out of synch, passing was terrible, our entries were easily thwarted.

Zebras were also terrible out there tonight, but that is consistent. I really would love to be in the room when Tom Chmielewski reviews that slashing call he made on Seth Jarvis and see how he reacts. There really isn't a worse thing that a referee can do than calling a penalty he didn't actually see based on the aftermath of the play, which is exactly that Chmielewski did on that play. 564 Games as an NHL referee, only 3 playoff games. That type of call sums up why he doesn't ref playoff games.

Going to need to repeat 'Just Game 1' over and over again until the next one. That was an ugly effort tonight. Everything looked out of synch, passing was terrible, our entries were easily thwarted.

Zebras were also terrible out there tonight, but that is consistent. I really would love to be in the room when Tom Chmielewski reviews that slashing call he made on Seth Jarvis and see how he reacts. There really isn't a worse thing that a referee can do than calling a penalty he didn't actually see based on the aftermath of the play, which is exactly that Chmielewski did on that play. 564 Games as an NHL referee, only 3 playoff games. That type of call sums up why he doesn't ref playoff games.
Exactly, on all points. Crappy effort by the Canes - we looked out of sync the entire game and our puck possession was almost nonexistent. The refs sucked, but so did we. I honestly don't know what's going on with Orlov. He's been terrible in the preseason and now tonight.

Fortunately, the tailgating was great and the weather was wonderful.

Besides all the obvious first game stuff, I (like everyone else) still wonder where our secondary scoring is going to come from. Staal’s line was the best line by far and that second PP unit is downright scary (in a bad way). Oh well, on to the next game. Oh, and KK still looks like KK.

I think it's less of a "it's just Game 1" issue and more of a "it's just one game" thing. If that level of play stretches out for any length of time, yeah. There are concerns. If it's just a bad night and they find their compete level then fine. We'll see. Hard to argue with Brind'Amour's summary though ... there was one line (Staal's) that did their job at an acceptable level. Every other unit was a hot mess, regardless of how individuals on those units played. And hey ... Freddie looked fairly sharp despite the circumstances. That's good.

I honestly tried to not comment on officiating, but Chmielewski's performance made that impossible. It MUST be commented upon, just like you cannot look away from a car accident. I find it absolutely baffling that he has worked well over 500 games and hasn't yet managed to not look like a college ref working an NHL game as an emergency replacement. He is routinely baffled by the most basic stuff and his confusion inevitably drags down the rest of the crew. The fact that he's still working at this level is a complete and utter indictment on the state of officiating in the league. And the phantom slashing on Jarvis is just the tip of the iceberg of how lost he was last night, sadly.

Here's the thing though. Tampa played him like a fiddle while Carolina just got increasingly frustrated. I know it's cynical, but there's absolutely nothing to be gained by playing a gentleman's game when the officiating is going to be this bad, this often.

Back