• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Panthers 12/30 7:30

Still think they're too talented to miss the playoffs though but anything can happen. Their unprotected first in the deepest draft since 2003 for Chiarot.

And Zito still has a job.

Still think they're too talented to miss the playoffs though but anything can happen. Their unprotected first in the deepest draft since 2003 for Chiarot.

And Zito still has a job.
Marchment was solid for them, give me Brunette over MO, Weegar was a beast and Huberdeau was always a Canes killer. The bad trades add insult to injury.

I can’t wait to see what a sniper like Pacioretty can do to jumpstart this power play! Tonight was refreshing and this team is a helluva lot scarier with a lethal PP!

Glad they came out playing hard and controlling the game. But seriously, Maurice needs to get fired. He doesn't fit that team very well.

Huge crowd at PNC last night got to see a game completely dominated by the Canes against the toothless Panthers. 3 PP goals in one game - what is this? And glad to see Raanta play great when he needed to (which wasn't often).

I won't say anything more about the game, but here are a couple of observations from the PNC arena:

1) Loved seeing Jarvis on the bench lip-syncing to whatever tune was playing in the arena
2) My section broke into a "Mo must go!" chant just because...well, why not?

Last edited:
Glad they came out playing hard and controlling the game. But seriously, Maurice needs to get fired. He doesn't fit that team very well.
Yeah. I noticed the same thing about the Panthers last night that I've noticed several other times when I've watched them this season. You can see them kick into gear and get a head of steam going sometimes, but then somebody will remember they're supposed to only have one guy deep on the forecheck and they'll fall back to start setting up the lock/trap and poof ... all the energy leaves the building. Either Mo needs to start letting them play the way the roster was built to play or they need to ditch Mo and find somebody/anybody who will let the dogs loose. IMO Mo's never gonna be that guy. He's cautious to the marrow and playing at breakneck pace just isn't something he's ever going to be comfortable doing, but that team was built over time to pressure, and swarm and fill lanes and just go nuts. They kind of suck when they don't

A few weeks back I expressed my frustrations about this team, comparing them to those ineffective Canes teams in Maurice’s 1st tenure— lots of SOG with nothing to show for it, ineffective PP and just playing down to teams. Well, a few of you chimed in and said the team was playing like the team when RBA took over and the pieces were learning how to fit. Well, consider me happy to be proved wrong and grateful it’s RBA behind our bench.
  1. Last night was a special teams clinic
  2. Florida is a hot mess— too many pieces that aren’t cohesive
  3. Two Canes goalies with back-to-back shut outs this month
  4. High pressure puck possession hockey is fun to watch
  5. Looking forward to seeing what Pacioretty has to offer.
  6. I love the swagger and confidence Necas has this season

Last night was a great reminder that overall our defense is top notch. And Florida’s defense is awful. A number of our goals were just flat out terrible reactions by their defense. KK’s goal was exhibit A.

Last night was a great reminder that overall our defense is top notch. And Florida’s defense is awful. A number of our goals were just flat out terrible reactions by their defense. KK’s goal was exhibit A.
You mean you’re not supposed to let a guy stroll down the slot without challenging him?

I went back and watched the goal. Bucci called it correctly for KK live, but on the replay, their on-screen graphics identified KK as Turbo and Mleczko went along with it.

That’s true, but the Canes were overwhelming leading up to that and they were setting that shot up on purpose and missed it a bit earlier. So I think they were just stressed to the point that something was gonna break and it did.
There was a lot of outstanding passing last night. If they can do that they’re going to be a tough out for anybody.

Back