• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Preds 12/15 7:30

Raanta is awful. None of our “stars” are carrying their own weight. This is not close to being a contender. Very disappointing.

I think the goalie issue is *the* problem. We saw that when Pyotr played a couple of good games in a row. The team can rally and hold its own. However, games like Ranta just had are psychological killers. I'm sorry, but he's got to go. Trade someone or a 2nd round pick for a decent goalie (not great - they're not available). We can't keep going this way. And I'm assuming Freddie isn't coming back.

Now is sort of the wrong time to be shopping for a goaltender...though the Hurricanes will keep sinking in the standings if they don't get a consistent puck stopper and it. just. won't. freaking. matter.

Jim

Raanta got off to a rough start last season but snapped out of it and was good from Thanskgiving onward. I don't see him snapping out of it this season. His confidence is shot and he is looking like a broken down old goalie.

It is going to be really hard to put him back out there. There are 79 goalies who have played in the NHL this season. Only Magnus Chrona, who played 30 minutes in one game for SJ and allowed 4 Goals on 17 shots has a worse Sv% than Raanta. Raanta's .854 Sv% is well behind Eric Comrie's .863 which is 77th in the NHL.

An .854 Sv% is unacceptable in ANY Era. You could throw just about any other pro in the net and expect to get at least that or better. I would rather they roll out Yanev Perets the next time.

Raanta got off to a rough start last season but snapped out of it and was good from Thanskgiving onward. I don't see him snapping out of it this season. His confidence is shot and he is looking like a broken down old goalie.

It is going to be really hard to put him back out there. There are 79 goalies who have played in the NHL this season. Only Magnus Chrona, who played 30 minutes in one game for SJ and allowed 4 Goals on 17 shots has a worse Sv% than Raanta. Raanta's .854 Sv% is well behind Eric Comrie's .863 which is 77th in the NHL.

An .854 Sv% is unacceptable in ANY Era. You could throw just about any other pro in the net and expect to get at least that or better. I would rather they roll out Yanev Perets the next time.
That stat is gross, if that isn’t enough to get Dandy Don to do something then God help him and his job.

Was too demoralized to post last night after getting home from the PNC. It was weird back-and-forth game (especially in the 2nd) and it seemed like the final result would be determined by which team wants to lose more. Blowing a 2-goal lead (twice!) is just awful. Sure, Raanta made a couple of really good saves, but overall, he was so bad that it's getting ridiculous to continue to play him. But what choice do we have?

I was also too angry to post when I got home from the game last night.

This team has flaws, but anyone who doesn’t see that the major problem that needs fixing is goaltending doesn’t know the game. We don’t need a Vasilevskiy, but average to above average goaltending makes this team a Cup contender.

I assume GMDW is awaiting clarity on Andersen’s situation and hopes there will be a goalie we can make a move for when a few more teams clearly fall out of playoff contention, but if we don’t do something about the goaltending situation soon, we can find ourselves out of contention as well.

A goalie, a goalie, my kingdom for a goalie. Seriously. They clearly don't trust Raanta, and clearly shouldn't, and unless there's good reason to believe Freddy is coming back then the Canes basically have to go get somebody else. ANYBODY else. Seriously. They owe it to the fans and to the guys on the team to show best effort even if it's bringing in some guy who's a total roll of the dice ... which would almost certainly be the case. Or just throw up the white flag, because Uncle Antti is cooked.

Also ... somebody needs to grow a pair and have a hard talk with Brindy about how freaking old some of his guys actually are. Running Burns and Staal (in particular) out there on their normal usage on back to backs is really, really dumb. Those guys had legs of stone by the end of regulation last night, and guess who started OT. C'mon man. Be smarter than that.

Back