• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Rangers 5/9 7:00

Shesterkin isn't the reason our PK is at 70.8%, nor that we gave up a shorty. You can give him some credit I guess for our PP% being 0.0, but we know that's really a self inflicted injury. His .938 is very good, but he's not been the difference in this series, but he is taking advantage of Carolina's complete lack of everything that made them effective this year.
IMO Carolina isn't getting goalie-ed in this series ... certainly nothing like they did in 2022. This is the same crap as last year when they played perfectly fine against Florida but couldn't generate enough special teams traction to win a game.

IMO Carolina isn't getting goalie-ed in this series ... certainly nothing like they did in 2022. This is the same crap as last year when they played perfectly fine against Florida but couldn't generate enough special teams traction to win a game.
There's a difference between being out-goalied and intimidation. Freddie and Pyotr have been excellent, but they don't change the psychology of the opposition the way Shesterkin does.

There's a difference between being out-goalied and intimidation. Freddie and Pyotr have been excellent, but they don't change the psychology of the opposition the way Shesterkin does.
Yeah, sorry but no. I ain't buying intimidation on any level in this series. We've seen this same crap too many times. And Freddie was anything but excellent in the first two games. Pedestrian would be my description.

Not buying that. He doesn’t change their psychology, that’s the other team stepping up all areas of their game and a bunch of the canes not doing the same. The last overachieving team we had was when they made the run with Willy. Since then they’ve been very good underachievers. Nothing to do with the other team’s goalie. They’re underachieving in all areas of their game.

We're at a tipping point to begin the next season. We made some bold moves at the deadline (one worked/one didn't) and have a slew of decisions to make regarding players to keep or cut loose. I agree that hanging onto KK would be a mistake - he's paid too much just to be serviceable. I'd vote for extending Guentzel, resigning Jarvis, Chatfield, and I would keep Turbo if his agent doesn't get crazy. Skjei? He hasn't impressed down the stretch, but he'll still get big bucks to go somewhere else. I was going to say more, but this ain't the thread for it. Sorry.

Shot totals were a mirage last night. Very few high danger chances. In person, I focused a lot last night on the rangers and whether it was coaching or player smarts (probably both) they were unbelievable at getting to almost every pass of ours and basically knew where we were going. After the first period Pyotr made some great saves to keep the game close while Igor could have enjoyed a latte in the crease. Put a bow on this year and hold on for the changes to come.

Speaking of ... well, this is just a stray thought really

I found it interesting that Lavy backed the Rangers way off the physical argy bargy after the first period last night. Carolina wasn't exactly running away with the game in the first period, but they did have a one goal lead and the Rangers weren't really generating much at even strength. When they dialed back the after the whistle nonsense and stopped trying to assault Kochetkov on every dead puck, the Rangers eventually found the pace of the game and started to get those loose seams that they exploit so well. Both of their last two goals came on seam breakers, which is absolutely their bread and butter ... but they weren't getting any of that stuff when everything was set on frantic mode early on.

And if you wanted to know why Laviolette is a better coach than Gerard Gallant, it's that decission right there.

Shot totals were a mirage last night. Very few high danger chances.
Welcome to the Paul Maurice era! Wait, what? They're actually competitive in Florida? Then WTF are we doing?

I disagree. Shesterkin is riding his own coattails from a few years ago when he was just unreal. He's beatable and everyone knows it. I lost my fantasy hockey league this year because he was so bad and I couldn't trade him (Quick was my better goalie). Shesterkin is currently a very solid tendie but nothing of the Shesterkin of the past or the Bobrovsky of last year for a few series.

Many legit takes here on why this team continues to fail in the play offs. I agree somewhat with all of them. I don't think it is one but many factors that come to play in why the outcome is what it is.

This team isn't really built to be a play off team player wise. That is the most important one to me and something we have been talking about for a long time. No one really crashes the net or stands in front of goal on power plays. All our best players are on the smaller size bar Svechnikov.

Power play and box play always fails in the play offs. This must change if they want to be able to win the cup. I don't see how you can accept that and go with the same coaching staff one more year. Rod needs new coaches around him big time.

I do think RossMck has a point in that goalies can become a brain ghost (don't know if you use that saying but we do and I think you understand what I mean) to players and that effects how they handle breakaways for example. Off course it isn't the main problem but sometimes it does play a role.

Last edited:
That’s true to a point. This team absolutely COULD win it all. They’re missing that edge that is literally never satisfied unless everything was done every game every shift. That edge that has them consistently dominating games in the regular season and building the habit of NEVER taking a breath.

We don’t have that for whatever reason. When I complained in January etc that in spite of winning and racking up enough points we were not playing right. (Same last season too). That’s the problem right there. You build habits throughout the season.

The Canes habit was winning the game is enough. So they’d turn it on and get a lead or to come back. Chalk up the win. That fails in the playoffs. It’s not puck luck that we’ve lost 7 straight by 1 goal in round 2. 5 in OT. It’s not because the other team got the breaks. It’s because this team didn’t build the right habits throughout the season. Focus, Work, Every Shift.

Seriously do you think Justin Williams would have let them get away with this when he was captain?

We have guys like Jarvis. Well maybe just Jarvis playing with the necessary fire shift after shift.

Shesterkin isn't the reason our PK is at 70.8%, nor that we gave up a shorty. You can give him some credit I guess for our PP% being 0.0, but we know that's really a self inflicted injury. His .938 is very good, but he's not been the difference in this series, but he is taking advantage of Carolina's complete lack of everything that made them effective this year.
I don't think we've done enough to make that mofo uncomfortable or take away his view.

I don't think we've done enough to make that mofo uncomfortable or take away his view.
I think the point is, the Canes aren't really built to do that, or at least not in the way 90% of fans mean when they say that. And their systems are designed to funnel shots at the net, not people. Bottom line there's a disconnect between theory and execution with the systems and the roster that really only hurts in the post season when the refs allow everyone to be that little bit more dirty and the general pace of play slows down. That little drive by post up to take away the goalie's eyes in January gets you crosschecked into next Tuesday in May. You HAVE to adapt, but that ain't exactly Brindy's strong suit.

Also by my best guess, they've forced WAY more than enough loose rebounds into the slot to have scored enough goals to be in this series. Nobody's talking about that for some reason. They're getting bodied out of this series. Again.

BTW ... I'm done talking structural stuff until the season's actually done. This crap is depressing

It's amazing how many Rangers fans are on social media crying about how the Canes are dirty, and getting away with murder in this series. Obviously I've watched different games.

It's amazing how many Rangers fans are on social media crying about how the Canes are dirty, and getting away with murder in this series. Obviously I've watched different games.
The same people who think Tom Wilson should be in jail and that Trouba and Rempe only hit guys in the head because they're tall? Yeah. Those posts aren't worth the effort it takes to read them. Remember when they convinced themselves that Aho was some sort of dirtball? LOL. Those were good times. They're gonna have one hell of a ride with Florida.

Back