• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Rangers 5/9 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
To quote the late Al Davis, “just win, baby”.

It’s as simple as special teams. The Canes are outplaying the Rangers 5 on 5 but they’re being let down by special teams breakdowns. They’re 0-10 on the PP and 5-9 on the PK. There is no morning skate so we’ll have to wait until around 5 to see if RBA reinserts Kuzy into the lineup after a curious scratch on Tuesday or if Kochetkov will get the start in goal.

What hasn't gone right for the Rangers? Pretty much nothing, they held serve at home and, while Shesterkin faced a lot of shots on Tuesday, there weren’t a lot of quality chances. The Rangers website doesn’t have any notes from practices or lineup decisions, so let’s assume they go with the same lineup as game 2.

The series switches to TNT for TV tonight, with Kenny Albert, Jody Shelley and Brian Boucher on the call. Someone keep a count of how many times Albert mispronounces “Martinook”.

The series switches to TNT for TV tonight, with Kenny Albert, Jody Shelley and Brian Boucher on the call. Someone keep a count of how many times Albert mispronounces “Martinook”.
At least Ferraro won't be there at ice level name-swapping Kochetkov/Kuznetzov/Kotkaniemi, Drury/Necas, Slavin/Skjei, etc.... Dude seriously needs to up his eyeglasses prescription.

I don't think Shesterkin has been particularly sharp, which is a big reason I'm not ready to write this series off just yet. By the same token Andersen has been far from sharp himself, so ... yeah. He's been better at home though, so maybe this will be a better outing for him. Dunno why, but I've got a feeling somebody's getting goalie-ed tonight.

At least Ferraro won't be there at ice level name-swapping Kochetkov/Kuznetzov/Kotkaniemi, Drury/Necas, Slavin/Skjei, etc.... Dude seriously needs to up his eyeglasses prescription.
Did you catch how many times Shesterkin was called Svechnikov in game? Svech played goal better than he played forward.

Still no word on Kusnetsov? Does anyone really think Comtois was so damned good at practice that he earned a spot only to play a few shifts? Not buying it. I don't believe Rod on that one. He was being punished for cross checking Fox, which lead to a PP goal. Kuzzy has 2g and 2a so far this postseason.
Will Slavin show up?
Will Svech watch from the press box? Why has he not been punished for his dumb penalties?

Last edited:
Honestly, I kind of thought we might see Kochetkov in Game 2. Freddie has been looking a bit shaggy for the last 3-4 games after being razor sharp for the first 3 games in the post season. Given that he hasn't played a long run of games at all this season, asking him to just keep plowing on was going to wear on him eventually. A rusty Kochetkov is a risk, but so is worn out Andersen.

As for Kuznetzov ... whatever. He barely made a dent in game 1, and needs to show something here.

This is another game I have no feel for at all.

I can envision the Canes benefitting from home ice and completely blitzing the Rangers early and blowing open this game quickly.

I can envision the Rangers getting an early PP goal, a 2nd leaky goal right through Kochetkov, and a 3rd where Kochetkov badly overplays a poke check and the Canes completely falling apart in a bad blowout loss.

I can envision a tight defensive slog that turns into a 2-1 or 1-0 game with the Canes firing 1000 shots from distance and not getting any real quality scoring chances.

What I don't want to see is the Canes just wilting away in this series. Enough of the 'we are close' crap. Get the heck out there and play like a Cup champion please!

Can we get a return of Wayne Gretzky Martinook please? I liked him much better than just regular old Jordan Martinook.

Last edited:
Best guess ... Carolina swarms them early, scores 1 goal when they could/should score 4 then regrets it when the Rangers recover. After that, for some reason, I expect the goalies to take over. I'm thinking this whole series might be a string of one goal games of various flavors. We've had two pretty wild ones, so I'm thinking this one will be more buttoned down.

My feel,is the refs will do their best to ignore everything the jerks do and penalize the canes every time a jerk dives to the ice.

Looks like Filip Chytil is in and Rempe is out for the Rangers. Chytil has been out since November with suspected concussion issues and was ruled out for the season after suffering a setback in January.

Looks like Filip Chytil is in and Rempe is out for the Rangers. Chytil has been out since November with suspected concussion issues and was ruled out for the season after suffering a setback in January.
Well I hope he's healthy and not going to do permanent damage to himself.. All I'll say about that.

The NHL radio guys were suspecting that yesterday/today... since rempe only got a handful of minutes last game, they figured lavi would be afraid of rempe getting caught in a matchup issue in a game in Raleigh so he'd scratch him.

Back