• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Slugs 11/4 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The Canes get right back to it in the 2nd half of a back to back.

The Canes managed to pull a shootout win out of their…you know. They dominated long stretches of the game and peppered Vasilevskiy with 55 shots and had another 38 attempts. With the game on the line in the shootout, Teravainen conjured up some magic with a filthy backhand and Aho wrapped it up with his first shootout goal since 11/26/17, breaking a string of 8 unsuccessful attempts. Andersen was strong when he needed to be, I’m sure he’d want the Paul goal back though. The special teams are still killing them, the Bolts were 2 of 5 on their PP, the Canes were 1 for 6, with Necas’ bomb the only PP goal. In keeping with the shot totals, the Canes had 16 shots on their power plays. With Andersen working overtime last night, expect Raanta in goal. We may see Coghlan in for de Haan for a speed upgrade.

The Slugs are relevant for the first time in a long time, they own the league’s longest playoff drought, having last made the playoffs in 2011. They have 14 points in 10 games. They’re scoring in bunches, 2nd in the league at 4.30 goals per game. Victor Olafsson and Tage Thompson are both in the top 10 in goal scoring, with 8 and 7, respectively. Jeff Skinner has what is for him and upside down scoring line, he’s tied with Dahlin for the team lead with 8 assists. Only in his first 2 seasons has Skinner had more assists than goals. Journeyman Eric Comrie has started 7 of their 10 games in goal. He has all 3 of the team’s losses and his numbers aren’t good, 3.29/.898. In his last 2 games, he gave up 6 goals on 39 shots, but the Slugs won both. He’s backed up by Craig Anderson, who broke into the league as Georges Vezina’s backup. He’s 3-0 with a 1.66/.946 stat line. They’re tied with the Canes for 8th in the leage in team defense, allowing 2.80 goals per game. They‘re 11th on the PP and 18th on the PK.

Black jerseys tonight. ESPN+ for TV.

This one should be fireworks. Special Teams will decide this one I think, so the Canes need to find their discipline.

When the Canes are playing their game and dominating shots and possession, it just wears our opponents down. By the time we get to the 3rd period, OT and the shootout we seem to have clear advantages.

That said, we need to get our PK settled and start playing with leads and holding them. The shootout wins are nice, but how about getting back to a 60 minute dominating performace?

Buffalo has been a buzzsaw this season, so their obnoxious relocated fans won't be the only reason this game will be uncomfortable. Having to face the Sabres right now on short rest is a tough break. I mean, it's Buffalo so they'll come back to earth eventually but for right now this is one of the best teams in the league. Taking care of the puck on breakouts will be a key for the Canes. Buffalo loves to pressure the second pass, and that's something other teams have exploited against Carolina in the past.

Tonight’s Officials:

Referees:
Eric Furlatt #27, Jean Hebert #15

Linesmen:
Killian McNamara #93, Libor Suchanek #60

Furlatt followed the team from Tampa. Maybe Rob Schlick, who was the supervisor last night, reminded him what embellishment looks like. Of course, that means calls on the Canes are incoming. Hebert worked his first Finals last year and has worked 71 playoff games in the last 8 years. On the lines, McNamara is a relative noob, with fewer than 100 games under his belt.

Furlatt followed the team from Tampa. Maybe Rob Schlick, who was the supervisor last night, reminded him what embellishment looks like. Of course, that means calls on the Canes are incoming. Hebert worked his first Finals last year and has worked 71 playoff games in the last 8 years. On the lines, McNamara is a relative noob, with fewer than 100 games under his belt.
I'd wager that it's REALLY likely that Furlatt got a lecture after last night's game and that in response he'll call Carolina for embellishment at least once tonight ... and that there's a roughly zero percent chance he'll call it on Buffalo. Barring Skinner doing something dramatic and stupid, of course. We all know he's a semi-professional actor out there. Self reflection is NOT something the NHL stresses with its refs. Retribution, on the other hand, is clearly the default setting. If he got chewed out, he's blaming the Canes.

What's the over under on Canes goals for tonight's game? I think it's set to 0 right now. Could go down, though and you'd be fool to take the over. So, yeah, it's a good thing that I'm going to tonight's game. Ugh

Back