• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Wild 1/21 5:00

and We Puckwatch and Raanta leaky and they score again 3-2 bad guys.

Lamieux didn't get the puck out and allowed it to be stolen.

The Charmin soft defense struck again. All 3 of Raanta’s goals were because the defense, individually and collectively, weren’t hard enough. Orlov allowing Kaprizov free reign on the first, Slavin not moving Eriksson Ek out of the crease on the 2nd and a complete failure by all 5 skaters to clear the zone (yes, I’m looking at you, Lemiuex) and then giving Eriksson Ek 2 whacks at the puck in the crease.

Now sometimes, you need your goalie to bail out a defensive breakdown. Raanta did that once, in the 2nd when he stoned Mermis on the side of the goal. But that’s happened far too infrequently this season, from all 3 goalies. They’re not making a big save to bail the team out.

Last edited:
This was a hard game to watch. We seemed content just to fire away from Fuquay-Varina and hope the shot isn't seen by the goalie. Agree that this loss had nothing to do with Raanta and everything to do with the rest of the team. At times, it looked like some of these guys had never played before. Very disappointing...I guess I got spoiled walking out of the PNC with a lot more victories than I'm seeing this season.

This was a hard game to watch. We seemed content just to fire away from Fuquay-Varina and hope the shot isn't seen by the goalie. Agree that this loss had nothing to do with Raanta and everything to do with the rest of the team. At times, it looked like some of these guys had never played before. Very disappointing...I guess I got spoiled walking out of the PNC with a lot more victories than I'm seeing this season.
Raanta ended up notching 0.77 goals allowed above expected, so yeah ... he might have been a minor issue but wasn't wearing the goat horns yesterday. Likewise, I'm not buying that Carolina really got "goalie-ed" either, because of the nature of the vast majority of their shots. It's one thing to fire away from distance when there's the odd chance of a deflection, but I'd guess the Canes managed a good 10 shots from distance where Gustavsson had a good look all the way in. And look, the details on the three goals that mattered are important too.

1 ... Kaprizov deflects one out of thin air. Great player, great play
2 ... Kaprizov sneaks one past Raanta from the high slot following a scramble. Eriksson-Eck is blocking out the sun in front of Raanta. Not sure he ever saw it. That's on the D for allowing the screener to park in front and not getting to the loose change.
3 .... Eriksson-Eck scores on a goal mouth scramble that never should have happened since the Canes blew at one very simple clearing attempt and another one that had a fair shot at clearing the zone. Call it one and a half blown clearing chances and it got cashed in. That's not something you just hand waive off, as it's been an issue all season. And with goalies that need to be protected, you HAVE to get the simple clearances done and dusted.

Bottom line ... they got all blunt and perimeter oriented against a team that was doing a great job trapping up the neutral zone and defending their slot. Again.

Raanta ended up notching 0.77 goals allowed above expected, so yeah ... he might have been a minor issue but wasn't wearing the goat horns yesterday. Likewise, I'm not buying that Carolina really got "goalie-ed" either, because of the nature of the vast majority of their shots. It's one thing to fire away from distance when there's the odd chance of a deflection, but I'd guess the Canes managed a good 10 shots from distance where Gustavsson had a good look all the way in. And look, the details on the three goals that mattered are important too.

1 ... Kaprizov deflects one out of thin air. Great player, great play
2 ... Kaprizov sneaks one past Raanta from the high slot following a scramble. Eriksson-Eck is blocking out the sun in front of Raanta. Not sure he ever saw it. That's on the D for allowing the screener to park in front and not getting to the loose change.
3 .... Eriksson-Eck scores on a goal mouth scramble that never should have happened since the Canes blew at one very simple clearing attempt and another one that had a fair shot at clearing the zone. Call it one and a half blown clearing chances and it got cashed in. That's not something you just hand waive off, as it's been an issue all season. And with goalies that need to be protected, you HAVE to get the simple clearances done and dusted.

Bottom line ... they got all blunt and perimeter oriented against a team that was doing a great job trapping up the neutral zone and defending their slot. Again.
Orlov wasn’t strong enough on Kaprizov on the first goal and Slavin was too soft on Eriksson-Ek on the 2nd. Being a body mover isn’t Slavin’s game, but he can’t allow a guy to park himself with his butt in the goalies face.

Gustavsson’s jersey probably had a nice black mark around his belly button. That seemed to be where the Canes shots went to die.

In both cases though, you've got two guys who are among the best in the league in doing that specific thing and in any case ... no defense is perfect. The issue wasn't giving up 2 or 3 goals, it was not scoring enough to win anyway playing a team that has leaked like a sieve pretty much all season.

Back