• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Penguins @ Maple Leafs - HNIC 7PM - Straight Glasses-Off, Old School Rules

OEL has been so good in this short sample that it's probably already fair to say we've never really had a 4-deep top-4 like this before in this era.

and having two legit good two-way all-situations pairing seems like it's probably exponentially than having one and a half good pairs, because one and a half good two way pairs is actually only one.

OEL has been great. But I’m still just kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop. He was so bad for so long, and now he can be a stud 25 min top pair guy again?

OEL has been great. But I’m still just kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop. He was so bad for so long, and now he can be a stud 25 min top pair guy again?

he was legit very good in top pairing usage for the first two months last year while montour and ekblad were injured.

Yeah he was solid last year, and has been even better so far this year. But he was garbage for so long. It just seems too good to be true.

Though looking at it now, he was actually pretty good his last year in Vancouver also.

Yeah he was solid last year, and has been even better so far this year. But he was garbage for so long. It just seems too good to be true.

Though looking at it now, he was actually pretty good his last year in Vancouver also.
vancouver used him in a lockdown role his first year there. Just mental stuff. His o zone starts were under 40% and the lowest of his career by a lot. By comparison rielly’s ozone starts have been over 50% every year since 17-18 and up to 56-57% in most years.

Last year Florida started him in the o zone over 60% of the time.

May just be that van mis deployed him in year one and sabotaged the player.

I don’t think he’s going to consistently be dominant like he’s been but he’s clearly a good player.

Also, that top unit looked really effin good with him on it….

Also think the guy is just a good fit on a high octane offensive team. He’s really intelligent with the puck, which this team has never had on the back end. He’s had instant chemistry with willy and Marner.

OEL's entire career has been largely one great mystery for me considering his fantastic tools, how he started his career, and his progression from there. It would get even weirder if he suddenly solidified himself as a true stud at this age. His career has already been weird enough that I wouldn't rule it out. And yeah, maybe he was already at that level last year.

I mean if it happens then I sure as fuck will take it. And suddenly that off-season looks like a banger. Better win the cup this year tho. Doubt OEL and Tanev will go anywhere but down from here. But goodness gracious, they look absolutely phenomenal so far so maybe that's not a big deal. Couple of deadline reinforcements (aim high pls) and maybe it's the team to beat this year, with many of the best teams clearly getting worse this summer.

It’s crazy how smart Dubas and Keefe thought they were and how them trying to be ahead of the curve just wasted years of this team.

Just back to simple, fast, move the up quickly up the ice, hard forechecking hockey and it’s the best they’ve ever looked.

They both got 1-2 years of rope they shouldn't have.

Is Schenn UFA after this year or he has one more deal on his year? Hoping for the latter, otherwise he's up again...

vancouver used him in a lockdown role his first year there. Just mental stuff. His o zone starts were under 40% and the lowest of his career by a lot. By comparison rielly’s ozone starts have been over 50% every year since 17-18 and up to 56-57% in most years.

Last year Florida started him in the o zone over 60% of the time.

May just be that van mis deployed him in year one and sabotaged the player.

I don’t think he’s going to consistently be dominant like he’s been but he’s clearly a good player.

Also, that top unit looked really effin good with him on it….

Let's also remember that the nucks D was a joke.

OEL's partner on that shutdown pair was the horrific Tyler Myers. Quinn Hughes partner in the "top pair" was Luke Schenn. Myers and Schenn are bottom pair dreck.

And those 4 were the only nhl caliber dmen on the team. The bottom pair guys were fringe guys like Poolman Stillman Bear Burroughs Hunt Dermott Juulsen Brisebois Wolanin Hirose.

OEL was the top shut down guy because he was the only plausible guy to fill that role.

He'd still be the top shutdown guy on the canucks tbh.

Canucks 21-22 / 22-23

Hughes 154gms, 18:55 (-1.4dzs%), 48.4xgf% (+0.4rel), 0.97ap/60
Myers 160gms, 18:09 (+3.4dzs%), 46.9xgf% (-0.9rel), 0.45ap/60
OEL 133gms, 17:17 (+3.3dzs%), 48.0xgf% (+0.0rel), 0.72ap/60
Schenn 121gms, 15:04 (+0.9dzs%), 47.2xgf% (-0.7rel), 0.91ap/60

OEL probably the most impressive performance here considering usage.

Bear 61gms, 16:03 (-1.7dzs%), 49.3xgf% (+3.2rel), 0.59ap/60
Burroughs 90gms, 13:53 (+0.6dzs%), 46.4xgf% (-0.8rel), 0.33ap/60
Poolman 43gms, 14:38 (+1.9dzs%), 47.9xgf% (-0.7rel), 0.24ap/60
Hunt 50gms, 14:01 (-1.1dzs%), 51.5xgf% (+2.8rel), 1.03ap/60

The 4 main bottom pair guys are all out of the league now.

Back