• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2024-25 Regular Season

More nepotism. Still waiting for an hire outside of Hughes and Gordon circles.
One of the reasons I remain skeptical. Not only nepotism, bad nepotism too.

I'd have a lot less issue if the hires were people with bright futures and momentum behind them.

Instead, we got... a Peewee coach, a guy in hockey ops who doesn't want to leave Florida, a guy as co-head scout that didn't exactly leave a great heritage in his last job.

When Gorton said, Nobody would want any of my best friends to be running the Montreal Canadiens. I wouldn't do that to you. I'm starting to believe him, because that's exactly what he & Hughes are doing. They're hiring their buddies.

One of the reasons I remain skeptical. Not only nepotism, bad nepotism too.

I'd have a lot less issue if the hires were people with bright futures and momentum behind them.

Instead, we got... a Peewee coach, a guy in hockey ops who doesn't want to leave Florida, a guy as co-head scout that didn't exactly leave a great heritage in his last job.

When Gorton said, Nobody would want any of my best friends to be running the Montreal Canadiens. I wouldn't do that to you. I'm starting to believe him, because that's exactly what he & Hughes are doing. They're hiring their buddies.

I think you mean "cronyism" as nepotism refers only the to practice of hiring family members. Be that as it may, people tend to like hire people who they are already familiar with. I think the Marty hire was brilliant actually. And as I've mentioned here before, Pat Gillick ran the Phillies from Toronto . . . and won a World Series, and that was long before Zoom. Who cares where Vinny resides? It's really irrelevant. As for Bobrov, I'm gonna trust JG on that one but it seems like he's had hits and misses . . . like pretty much every scout.

Thanks for the correction, cronyism it is.

I've warmed up to St.Louis, I actually think it's a good fit for the team.

For a team that absolutely needs to revamp their scouting department with the best and brightest, I have a hard time believing the Bobrov was the best candidate. My main issue is less about the hire themselves but the lack of hire of any candidate not closely tied to any of them. Gordon hired Hughes and Bobrov, Hughes brought in St.Louis and Lecavalier, all hires from their own circles. That's fine, whatever, but it can't just be familiar hires.

Thanks for the correction, cronyism it is.

I've warmed up to St.Louis, I actually think it's a good fit for the team.

For a team that absolutely needs to revamp their scouting department with the best and brightest, I have a hard time believing the Bobrov was the best candidate. My main issue is less about the hire themselves but the lack of hire of any candidate not closely tied to any of them. Gordon hired Hughes and Bobrov, Hughes brought in St.Louis and Lecavalier, all hires from their own circles. That's fine, whatever, but it can't just be familiar hires.
Come on, you really think Gorton knew Chantal?

“I think that there was a little bit of an old-school feel to this organization,” Gorton said in an interview with Sportsnet last Friday.

Well, yeah. Of course there was an old-school feel to it. It's the same organization that didn't want any part of Subban because he had personality, and they did everything they could to squash his personality with no effect. It's the same organization that had Lefebvre as the head coach when all he was run half a decade of drafting. It's the same organization that brought young players into the NHL well before they were ready, often playing them out of position, and just telling them to figure it out.

The Canadiens have been run like a Mickey Mouse operation for a long time now. And no wonder, they hired a guy who doesn't know his left hand from his right in anything unrelated to hockey.

Back