• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2024-25 Regular Season

Unbelievable. That’s why this team will never win another cup. Because some dummy fans don’t understand you need to have a proper rebuild at some point in time. Retooling and resetting will only get you to a certain point. Frustrating

Dummy fans? You can't expect fans to keep paying top dollars for seats and boxes during a rebuild just because the product will be better in 5 years. When you offer a lower quality product, you need to adjust the prices accordingly, then paying fans will be more likely to accept it.

Dummy fans? You can't expect fans to keep paying top dollars for seats and boxes during a rebuild just because the product will be better in 5 years. When you offer a lower quality product, you need to adjust the prices accordingly, then paying fans will be more likely to accept it.
No you don't, not in Montreal at least.

During all the years when the Leafs were bottom-feeders in the 80's, ticket prices (which were already at or near the top of the league) never went down and never even stayed the same. They went up, every single season whether the Leafs were good or garbage. And not one single seat ever went unsold. Why? Because they could. In places like Toronto and Montreal, on-ice performance has absolutely no bearing on ticket pricing. Yes, there was a time, about 30 years ago, when the Habs needed to win in order to sell tickets but those days are long over. They now have managed to do what the Leafs did decades before them: lower fan expectation to the point where they will willingly pay top dollar prices to watch whatever steaming pile of dog shit that ownership deigns to offer them. Old school fans who hold the team to a standard before they part with their money are mostly gone now. Today's fan is just happy to have games to watch. They cheer for the jersey and don't really care about wins and losses enough to stop going. They have shown time and again that they will accept whatever they're given. So don't tell me that they can't rebuild. They can, they just don't want to.

Any fan who doesn't demand things before forking over hundreds of dollars on a night at the Bell Centre is a fucking dummy, full stop.

How lower a product can you get than now ?

If you paid 300k for a luxury box would you want to see Wright and possibly Michkov or 3 fingers Gally and Drouin trying to score their 5th of the season in March

Prices should be adjusted to 2005 with what Rolex has to go through

No you don't, not in Montreal at least.

During all the years when the Leafs were bottom-feeders in the 80's, ticket prices (which were already at or near the top of the league) never went down and never even stayed the same. They went up, every single season whether the Leafs were good or garbage. And not one single seat ever went unsold. Why? Because they could. In places like Toronto and Montreal, on-ice performance has absolutely no bearing on ticket pricing. Yes, there was a time, about 30 years ago, when the Habs needed to win in order to sell tickets but those days are long over. They now have managed to do what the Leafs did decades before them: lower fan expectation to the point where they will willingly pay top dollar prices to watch whatever steaming pile of dog shit that ownership deigns to offer them. Old school fans who hold the team to a standard before they part with their money are mostly gone now. Today's fan is just happy to have games to watch. They cheer for the jersey and don't really care about wins and losses enough to stop going. They have shown time and again that they will accept whatever they're given. So don't tell me that they can't rebuild. They can, they just don't want to.

Any fan who doesn't demand things before forking over hundreds of dollars on a night at the Bell Centre is a fucking dummy, full stop.

Leaf fans were fed up before the rebuild , jerseys tossed on the ice

Empty seats ( tickets sold but no asses in them ) , less food/beverage revenue, etc...

I know people who worked in marketing for advertisers and were ready to demand lower fees due to the suckage

Fans wanted a rebuild and were begging for Matthews to fall on their lap

Hab fans would accept a gut job , its Molson and his cronies who are nuts

Leaf fans were fed up before the rebuild , jerseys tossed on the ice

Empty seats ( tickets sold but no asses in them ) , less food/beverage revenue, etc...

I know people who worked in marketing for advertisers and were ready to demand lower fees due to the suckage

Fans wanted a rebuild and were begging for Matthews to fall on their lap

Hab fans would accept a gut job , its Molson and his cronies who are nuts
You need to buy a ticket to show up to the arena and toss a jersey on the ice. You also have to fork out for the cost of a jersey. Owners don't care why fans go to games as long as they go. And in Toronto nearly every seat is corporate so there's very little in the way of bitching about ticket prices since the company is paying, not the individual.

There's still a waiting list a mile long for Habs season tickets. No one is going broke if they do a rebuild. It's simply a matter of deciding to do it. I'm sick and tired of the fans being used as the excuse for why ownership has no balls. If ownership really was afraid of their own fans they wouldn't ice such a mediocre product year after year.

How lower a product can you get than now ?

If you paid 300k for a luxury box would you want to see Wright and possibly Michkov or 3 fingers Gally and Drouin trying to score their 5th of the season in March

Prices should be adjusted to 2005 with what Rolex has to go through
Exactly, ask for those prices when those guys are in the lineup, but not the year when you are tanking to get them. If you ask me to pay 300k for a luxury box, then I want to see a quality product on the ice. I'm telling you right now I'm not happy with the Kraken, even though we might get a good pick, and it has everything to do with the price I'm paying.

Exactly, ask for those prices when those guys are in the lineup, but not the year when you are tanking to get them. If you ask me to pay 300k for a luxury box, then I want to see a quality product on the ice. I'm telling you right now I'm not happy with the Kraken, even though we might get a good pick, and it has everything to do with the price I'm paying.
I would rather pay $300K to see a team that's tanking with a purpose than one which is band-aiding it's way to 9th place every year. I want to see banners raised, not a perennially mediocre team that treats making it into the final playoff berth like it's some kind of fucking achievement. I'm tired of a franchise that regards a failure as an accomplishment simply because it's less of a failure than some other worse failure. Finishing 8th and being annihilated in the first round is no better or worse than finishing in 12th place. They are both failures, it's only a slight difference in degree. I want actual success as defined by the only metric that should ever be used in Montreal: championships. And I'm willing to put up with whatever clown car of a decade I have to in order to make that happen.

All throughout the Bergevin era they consistently failed without a plan to ever stop failing. If they now fail on purpose because they have an actual plan for future success then I'd sooner watch that team then the one Bergy tried in vain to "anything can happen" it's way to a Cup. If you're going to fail, fail big and fail with a purpose. Don't just fail because you're incompetent and mediocre. A smart fan knows the difference between what Chicago and Pittsburgh did versus Geoff Molson's traveling shit-show.

In the Montreal market someone else will take the place of season ticket holders who dont want to pay asking rate. The thing about top dollar is it only moves in one direction, especially with the current inflation model. They just have to sell hope of future success rather than false hope of anything can happen if you make the playoffs. 1993 was a long time something has to change.

In the Montreal market someone else will take the place of season ticket holders who dont want to pay asking rate. The thing about top dollar is it only moves in one direction, especially with the current inflation model. They just have to sell hope of future success rather than false hope of anything can happen if you make the playoffs. 1993 was a long time something has to change.
100%

You sell what you have to sell. When you're in first place, it's "Come and see the first place Habs take on..." When you're an expansion team with a roster full of nobodies, you sell the visiting team, like both the Expos and Blue Jays did in their early years. "Come out and see Tom Seaver and the Mets." "Come see Reggie Jackson and the Yankees."

And when you're a tanking bottom-feeder you sell hope. I still recall the 1990-91 Nordiques. They sucked but by sucking they were able to get top draft picks like Sakic and Sundin. So their ad campaign was "La Force des Jeunes", designed to sell the fans hope for the future. Of course as it turned out, the Nords did have a bright future ahead of them, just not in Quebec.

If he's healthy I'd rather he gets some games not to start next season without having played in a year and a half.

If teams may explore a trade in the summer , they want a healthy Price next season

Year is toast , too risky with 6 weeks left in the year

Back