• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2024-25 Regular Season

This years Mike Hoffman

I would let all our UFA’s walk , they are all replaceable .

The knob will regret turning down the supposed 6x 5 years

Absolutely nothing to do with Mike Hoffman. Every coach in the league would love to have a Danault. Money and term are the only questions, not whether he's desirable for a team. I have no problem whatsoever with Danault on a 3x3 contract, and that leaves room for negotiation.

Poehling + Ylonen + Caufield could conceivably replace Danault + Tatar + Armia, combined with one of Allen / Chiarot / Edmundson likely to be claimed at expansion draft to be replaced by an ELC....Habs could potentially have over $11M to work with in the off-season, which is lots of cap space especially w potential opportunities created by expansion draft.

Not to mention should Staal prove he still has something left in the tank and could provide more on a low cost 1-year deal to provide more insurance

As strange as it might seems, Tatar is the locomotive on that line, the playmaker, the only one that have the puck skills and creativity to make things happen. When he's slumping, the whole line looks without any bite.

Poehling + Ylonen + Caufield could conceivably replace Danault + Tatar + Armia, combined with one of Allen / Chiarot / Edmundson likely to be claimed at expansion draft to be replaced by an ELC....Habs could potentially have over $11M to work with in the off-season, which is lots of cap space especially w potential opportunities created by expansion draft.

Not to mention should Staal prove he still has something left in the tank and could provide more on a low cost 1-year deal to provide more insurance

We don’t have much cap space next year if we bring any of our free agents back

We already made a mistake with Byron , don’t need more .

Totally agree on your replacements

Absolutely nothing to do with Mike Hoffman. Every coach in the league would love to have a Danault. Money and term are the only questions, not whether he's desirable for a team. I have no problem whatsoever with Danault on a 3x3 contract, and that leaves room for negotiation.

The Hoffman reference is for a player getting squeezed out of the market only .

That’s the contract , with no negotiation.

All he is right now is a third line center , team can’t blow their brains on him and he won’t age well as we mentioned before .

They are all replaceable in a flat cap world

As strange as it might seems, Tatar is the locomotive on that line, the playmaker, the only one that have the puck skills and creativity to make things happen. When he's slumping, the whole line looks without any bite.

You are correct , he is the only UFA we have with skill and offensive potential output.

Covid part 2 this summer , teams won’t be spending and bargains to be had

Yes, you don't pay someone who score 5-10 goals a year something around 5 M. Doesn't matter how good he is defensively. He is now worth 3x3 . he will probably get 4x4 as FA.

Habs probably will pay him 4X4, local boy...

Last edited:
Given Poehling’s progression this year there is no reason to keep Danault after this season. None. He will be redundant and unnecessarily eat up cap space.
There is no way he will step in and be as good defensively as Danault immediately. It will take 2 years. Wonder if MB is willing to take this step backwards right now.

Back