• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone ... 2022 edition

Slightly elevated from my time as the soup guy at Mitch's
And a step or two up from my short order cook stint at The Press Box in Falls Village my last couple years of h/s.
Worked for a crazy old Greek who used to punch my forearms and reminisce about Rocky Graziano, and our head 'chef' was also a pimp. I don't know which was the side hustle. A h/s friend who bussed and did dishes got tired of the pimp one night and busted him up with a glass beer pitcher. A couple in the kitchen were former CT highway patrol and they packed. Some hot waitresses. Bartender was a Camaro driving douche. A Jewish kid who liked his pork. Dwayne & Dwight, a pair of black brothers (literal) who I'd buy malt liquor for on occasion and had to patch up on occasion (not from drinking). And a dishwasher who picked over the scraps for himself. JB, you may have seen this guy walking about Hillsboro St. Name was Danny. He either had too many loose screws or did way too many hits of acid.

Any of y'all who didn't do restaurant work missed some oddball subculture.

My first job was as a dishwasher. The restaurant had separate kitchens for a la carte dining and banquets. I mostly worked in the 3rd floor banquet kitchen with a couple of friends who had jobs through DECA. Many times, an entire prime rib would come up in the dumbwaiter for slicing and service. I ate like a king those nights, prime rib sandwiches on the dinner rolls that came up separately. And on more than a few nights, the wait staff forgot to turn the beer taps off, so the night got even better.

And a step or two up from my short order cook stint at The Press Box in Falls Village my last couple years of h/s.
Worked for a crazy old Greek who used to punch my forearms and reminisce about Rocky Graziano, and our head 'chef' was also a pimp. I don't know which was the side hustle. A h/s friend who bussed and did dishes got tired of the pimp one night and busted him up with a glass beer pitcher. A couple in the kitchen were former CT highway patrol and they packed. Some hot waitresses. Bartender was a Camaro driving douche. A Jewish kid who liked his pork. Dwayne & Dwight, a pair of black brothers (literal) who I'd buy malt liquor for on occasion and had to patch up on occasion (not from drinking). And a dishwasher who picked over the scraps for himself. JB, you may have seen this guy walking about Hillsboro St. Name was Danny. He either had too many loose screws or did way too many hits of acid.

Any of y'all who didn't do restaurant work missed some oddball subculture.
Yeah ... I knew Danny (although I thought his name was Denny, but I suck at names). I had to run him off the back alleyway into Mitch's more than once so I could get the boxes from the night before out to the compactor.

My first job was as a dishwasher. The restaurant had separate kitchens for a la carte dining and banquets. I mostly worked in the 3rd floor banquet kitchen with a couple of friends who had jobs through DECA. Many times, an entire prime rib would come up in the dumbwaiter for slicing and service. I ate like a king those nights, prime rib sandwiches on the dinner rolls that came up separately. And on more than a few nights, the wait staff forgot to turn the beer taps off, so the night got even better.
I was a dishwasher at Lock, Stock & Barrell in 10th grade. One night I, another dishwasher and some other kitchen crew started drumming on all the stainless containers on a drying rack. The assistant manager, a Columbian, comes back and hollers "Who the hell do you think you are? Santana? The whole restaurant can hear you." I felt like replying "If we sound like Santana, WTF are you complaining about?"

Washing dishes is the first job of kings, man. I dug ditches for my first paycheck, which is the first job of people doomed to a lifetime in construction :0)

First job? Delivering the weekly penny snatcher paper at 6:00 AM in the winter in northern Michigan. I mean, yeah, summers too, but my short stint doing it was mainly in the winter. I'll never forget that job since that is when I first heard the news about The Who concert tragedy back in '79

Back