• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Jarvis Re-signs

Any chance Nikishkin or Morrow make your team

Your D is thin after departures and decimated after Burns and Orlov leave next year
No chance on Nikishin, at least until the KHL season is over, he’s under contract at SKA until the end of the season. Morrow? Maybe, but I hope not, he needs as many games as possible and he’d be the 7th dman with the Canes. Probably the first callup but hopefully he plays the entire season in the AHL.

N

Your D is thin after departures and decimated after Burns and Orlov leave next year
I expect the Canes want Morrow to get a full season in the AHL if possible. I would say look for Nikishin to sign with the Canes soon after SKA St. Petersburg's playoff run ends in 2025.

25-26?

Slavin-Morrow
Nikishin-Gostisbehere
Walker-Chatfield

So to answer your question, not likely in 24-25, but in 25-26, Nikishin 100% for sure and Scott Morrow hopefully. Morrow might get a callup this season if Gostisbehere or Burns gets hurt. But really the #7/8/9 Dmen for the Canes in 24-25 are more likely Riley Stillman, Ty Smith and Joakim Ryan.

I expect the plan is for both to be in the Top 6 in 2025-26. Morrow needs some pro hockey experience although he'll probably get some callup time this season. Nikishin cannot play in the NHL before the last year of his deal with SKA runs out in the spring. There's been some fairly credible chatter that the Canes will sign him and bring him over as soon as SKA's season is done, which will let him click a year off of his ELC requirement. The right side of the D group in 2025-26 will probably be Nikishin, Chatfield and Morrow if everything works out the way it's set up right now.

And the D is only decimated if they have no plans to replace departing players, which is kind of silly. Of course they're refresh the group over the next two years, and not just with Morrow and Boom. Burns is noticeably slowing down (finally) and Orlov has been an awkward fit thus far, so it's not like they'd be losing those guys at their peak anyway. Carolina also really likes Joel Nystrom, who's coming over to North America for the first time at age 22.

I expect the plan is for both to be in the Top 6 in 2025-26. Morrow needs some pro hockey experience although he'll probably get some callup time this season. Nikishin cannot play in the NHL before the last year of his deal with SKA runs out in the spring. There's been some fairly credible chatter that the Canes will sign him and bring him over as soon as SKA's season is done, which will let him click a year off of his ELC requirement. The right side of the D group in 2025-26 will probably be Nikishin, Chatfield and Morrow if everything works out the way it's set up right now.

And the D is only decimated if they have no plans to replace departing players, which is kind of silly. Of course they're refresh the group over the next two years, and not just with Morrow and Boom. Burns is noticeably slowing down (finally) and Orlov has been an awkward fit thus far, so it's not like they'd be losing those guys at their peak anyway. Carolina also really likes Joel Nystrom, who's coming over to North America for the first time at age 22.
I like your GM , every move is a calculated one for the betterment of the team now and or down the road

Other teams would of kicked the can down road and extended Pesce and others to bad deals

Yeah, I like Carolina's approach too. It comes from the owner more than anyone else, which is why replacing the GM didn't cause most Canes fans much grief. That said, they're gonna miss Skjei and I really wish they could have figured out an upgrade in net. Pesce and Terravainen? Meh. It was time to move on.

Yeah, I like Carolina's approach too. It comes from the owner more than anyone else, which is why replacing the GM didn't cause most Canes fans much grief. That said, they're gonna miss Skjei and I really wish they could have figured out an upgrade in net. Pesce and Terravainen? Meh. It was time to move on.
Yeah, Skjei and Burns were the only guys that played significant time in all situations. If they reduce Burns’ PK time to keep him fresher, they don’t really have a dman that plays all situations anymore. Burns averaged 2:18 on the PK, just behind Pesce, just ahead of Skjei. But Skjei was the only other dman with significant PP time, he averaged just under a minute. Ghost can fill those minutes, and may be able to come close to that production. He was over 3 minutes on the PP for Detroit but only 20 seconds on the PK and 2 minutes less total. If he and Walker are going to be the 2nd pair, they’re both going to need to play significantly more than last year.

Keep in mind that Carolina asked virtually nothing of Orlov last season. He played fully 5.5 minutes less per game than he was pulling for the Caps, played almost no power play time and only killed penalties when one of the primary four killers was in the box. He can do a LOT more, and for the paycheck he SHOULD be doing a lot more. I suspect the 2nd pair is gonna be him and Chatfield, but that Slavin/Burns will shift to the more defensively responsible assignments that were going to Skjei/Pesci. We'll have to see how it goes pairing-wise, but that's my guess. No way they ask Ghost to actually play a defensive role. That much I'm certain of. He's been here before and the Canes know what he can and can't do.

No chance on Nikishin, at least until the KHL season is over, he’s under contract at SKA until the end of the season. Morrow? Maybe, but I hope not, he needs as many games as possible and he’d be the 7th dman with the Canes. Probably the first callup but hopefully he plays the entire season in the AHL.
but now the Canes have a few bucks to spend in April. ;)

with Fast on LTIR (assuming) they'll have a couple million to play with
Yeah, and I'm betting they keep their powder dry on that for either an extended deadline move or a mid-season trade. Honestly, I'm hoping for the latter and that they've learned their lesson on rentals. Guentzel went about as well as it could and the end result was bupkiss.

Last edited:
Back