• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Laine v Matthews

Depends on your definition of generational. I'm of the mind that the term is reserved for the legitimately elite of the elite. The best player of an entire generation. Gretz, Mario, Jagr, Crosby, Ovy, Lidstrom, Bourque, Roy, Hasek types. Guys who are legitimate threats to win a handful or more MVP's, scoring titles, Norris', Vezina's, etc.

By that measure, no, I don't think Matthews is that level of prospect. He's definitely a legit franchise level prospect though. Kane, Getzlaf, Young E Staal, Benn, Malkin, Datsyuk type outcomes.

I'd say he has the potential to be anything he wants. It will really come down to how bad does he want to be one of the greats? Some players have the potential but fail to realize because of laziness, injuries or personal reasons. I hope with the way management has been building up the culture organization wide that we'll have an exceptionally hard working team on and off the ice. The off ice is the biggest thing to start. If you have good habits off the ice, it'll make working harder on the ice that much easier.

I think Stamkos would be an excellent add for that reason. Work ethic along with natural god given talent to lead the young guys. I think Stamkos signing here would be perfect for this franchise. We have a leader among the defenders in Morgan Rielly. A true gym rat. Stamkos would be that for the forwards. Set the tone in practice and in the gym.

Anyone that doesn't follow in their footsteps can take a hike.

Are we sure Matthews isn't a generational player? Eichel has been called one.

Eichel isn't one.

That again is the same pre-draft hype that wanted to put Eichel in the same stratosphere as McDavid to get page clicks, ratings, etc....

Eichel isn't a generational player and neither is Matthews.

Not a knock on them, they are very good. They just aren't Crosby/McDavid.

Depends on your definition of generational. I'm of the mind that the term is reserved for the legitimately elite of the elite. The best player of an entire generation. Gretz, Mario, Jagr, Crosby, Ovy, Lidstrom, Bourque, Roy, Hasek types. Guys who are legitimate threats to win a handful or more MVP's, scoring titles, Norris', Vezina's, etc.

By that measure, no, I don't think Matthews is that level of prospect. He's definitely a legit franchise level prospect though. Kane, Getzlaf, Young E Staal, Benn, Malkin, Datsyuk type outcomes.

That's a fair assessment.

Agreed .... generational talent, in my dictionary, is defined as very special players that the league sees only once every 10, 15 years. There's TGO, Lemiux, Lindros, Crosby, then ... maybe McDavid? That's the class of players I define as generational talent.

And for AM, he isn't in that class, but where his numbers project to at the moment places him firmly in the franchise player class. And I see him above just 'star player', but he's definitely got franchise player potential - the Sundin, Tavares class.

Exactly

Go back 12 months and you can find articles about Eichel being better than McDavid.

Go back to the Tavares draft and you can find the whole Hedman thing, some even pimped Matt Duchene as the best of the three.

Go back to the Patrick Kane draft and you had people saying that JvR and Kyle Turris were better.

Crosby is the only draft where it was pretty undisputed in the media who the number 1 guy was. But every other year they try to sell suspense on who the draft pick will be. With the Leafs now number 1, i expect that they will push Laine even harder now, cause they will want Leaf fans to tune into the draft for the suspense of which player is taken?

aside from a select handful of generational first overalls, I can make easy arguments that the majority of 2nd overalls in recent years are better than the first overalls.

and no scout ever claimed eichel was better than McDavid.

aside from a select handful of generational first overalls, I can make easy arguments that the majority of 2nd overalls in recent years are better than the first overalls.

and no scout ever claimed eichel was better than McDavid.
Are there some seconds that are better? Sure

Some years (see taylor vs tyler) its a legit debate. I never said that there is always a clear cut number 1.

I merely said that even when there is a clear cut number 1 (kane, tavares, mcdavid, matthews) the media has a tendency to try and stir up doubt and controversy.

And yes there were people saying eichel was better last year. It was a season long debate.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of this new zeke.

I would be thrilled if Matthews became another Tavares, and certainly wouldn't cry if Laine ends up being a big time player as well.

I'm not really sure I understand the point of this debate. Any team would love to have Stamkos or Doughty or Tavares or Hedman or Mcdavid or Eichel. But with the first overall pick you can only pick one, you can't have both. If we picked Laine first, most would argue (8 out of 10 scouts according to Bobby Mac) that the 2nd overall pick in Matthews was the better player. As long as there are multiple elite prospects at the top of the draft people will always be able to make that argument. Its not a knock on Stamkos, Tavares, McDavid or Matthews or a reason those teams should regret taking those players. The Islanders don't regret drafting Tavares. The Lightning don't regret drafting Stamkos. The Oilers don't regret drafting McDavid. No one will regret drafting Matthews.

I'm just glad this is a draft with an Auston Matthews at the top and not a Nail Yakupov, RNH, Erik Johnson, Nathan Mackinnon year. The Leafs lucked out here.

Last edited:
Last 3yrs

Hedman: 1.36espts/60 (#2 D), 0.66ppg (#10 D), 54.9zsacf%, +3.6rel
Tavares: 2.23espts/60 (#15 F), 1.01ppg (#7 F), 51.2zsacf%, +0.8rel

Last 3yrs

Hedman: 1.36espts/60 (#2 D), 0.66ppg (#10 D), 54.9zsacf%, +3.6rel
Tavares: 2.23espts/60 (#15 F), 1.01ppg (#7 F), 51.2zsacf%, +0.8rel

Hedman is awesome, but for argument sake lets pretend that the Isles took him first. You'd probably be making the same argument right now about how he is not clear cut better than Tavares.

Back