• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leaf Rumours

im not sold on Kadri being a legit 2nd line center yet. Same goes for Franson who had a solid year, but has yet to establish himself as a legit top-4 defender.
Ideally we move out Liles to make room.

Guy produces at nearly a PPG pace for 48 games and you're unsure of his ability to be a 2nd LINE CENTER? Not 1st... 2nd? And defenseman produces at a 50 point pace and you're questioning his ability to be even a second pairing defenseman?

That doesn't even make any sense.
 
A little bit of context to clarify. Kadri has shown the ability to be a 2nd line center. He has not proven himself as a 2nd line center. Producing at a near PPG pace for 48 games does NOT qualify as being proven. Same goes for Franson. How often do you see a rookie produce amazing, get a fat contract, and then go on to stagnate his production. Take a look at a player like Jordan Staal or Jeff Skinner. Both guys came into the NHL as 19 year olds and produced at star levels for their age, then followed up the next season with inferior numbers.

Before we blow our collective loads over these guys, let them PROVE themselves before we pay them these contracts.

I hope both end up better than any contract they sign.
 
A little bit of context to clarify. Kadri has shown the ability to be a 2nd line center. He has not proven himself as a 2nd line center. Producing at a near PPG pace for 48 games does NOT qualify as being proven. Same goes for Franson. How often do you see a rookie produce amazing, get a fat contract, and then go on to stagnate his production. Take a look at a player like Jordan Staal or Jeff Skinner. Both guys came into the NHL as 19 year olds and produced at star levels for their age, then followed up the next season with inferior numbers.

Before we blow our collective loads over these guys, let them PROVE themselves before we pay them these contracts.

I hope both end up better than any contract they sign.

Those both seem like pretty poor examples for the point you seem to be making. Neither of those players produced close to PPG levels in their first few seasons like Kadri did this year.
 
I'm not saying he won't be a 2nd line centre, just can understand that Leafin' is suggesting a guy with a half season at "near PPG" who tapered off hard at the end of the season might have more to prove before getting a monster deal.
 
I'm not saying he won't be a 2nd line centre, just can understand that Leafin' is suggesting a guy with a half season at "near PPG" who tapered off hard at the end of the season might have more to prove before getting a monster deal.

"im not sold on Kadri being a legit 2nd line center yet."

This is what was said and what I question the logic of.
 
"im not sold on Kadri being a legit 2nd line center yet."

This is what was said and what I question the logic of.
I don't think that's a crazy thing to say. I mean, I'm pretty sold that he's a 2nd line center right now, but I can certainly understand that some people may not be. The sample size is just incredibly small.
 
Kadri hasn't proven sh*t. Last season could very well be a flash in the pan. Is it so unbelievable that he had a fluke season? I argue against the thought routinely, but in this case i find it hard to justify handing him over a ridiculous contract based on 35 games of PPG production. The last 10 games + playoffs he fell off huge.

2nd line center he may be, 6 million he is not worth yet.
 
I don't think that's a crazy thing to say. I mean, I'm pretty sold that he's a 2nd line center right now, but I can certainly understand that some people may not be. The sample size is just incredibly small.

I think if someone produces like a first liner in a shortened season, it makes complete sense to question whether they're a legit first liner.

Questioning whether they can be a legit 2nd liner just seems like overkill to me. It's an "I'm a Leaf fan and I'm used to things not working out so I'm overcorrecting for optimism" thing.
 
LOL.

I dont do internet wagers. Dont care enough for it.

I might be overly cautious due to our lack of success in my lifetime, but what it comes down to for me if this player(doesn't matter who) is worth the money they sign for. I just dont see Kadri as a lock to be our 2nd line center yet. He has all the talent to do it as well as linemates, but until its proven ill remain cautious.

I hope he blows up into a 1st line center and demands Crosby money. I just want it to be warranted. After this past season, 6 million or whatever he wants longterm is NOT warranted.
 
i think it's pretty crazy to say that kadri hasn't established himself as a second liner.

if you said first liner i'd agree.

but if we extrapolate his season to 82 games he could have gone pointless for the final 34 and his numbers still would have been acceptable second line totals.

there really is no question that kadri is a top six player. maybe if he had 25 points over 48 games, or 30. hell, maybe even 35.

but the dude was nearly a ppg player.
 
I don't think that's a crazy thing to say. I mean, I'm pretty sold that he's a 2nd line center right now, but I can certainly understand that some people may not be. The sample size is just incredibly small.

48 games isn't 'incredibly small'.

and even if we are totally unfair to kadri, and apply a bigger 'sample size', since it exists... he has played at a 52 point pace over 99 games.

which is pretty good production frmo a 2nd line centre.
 
i think it's pretty crazy to say that kadri hasn't established himself as a second liner.

if you said first liner i'd agree.

but if we extrapolate his season to 82 games he could have gone pointless for the final 34 and his numbers still would have been acceptable second line totals.

there really is no question that kadri is a top six player. maybe if he had 25 points over 48 games, or 30. hell, maybe even 35.

but the dude was nearly a ppg player.

Yup. Exactly where I was going with my question to corksens.
 
All I said was that he looked really good for barely half a season.

If that's enough for you to see to open the wallet then go nuts.

99 games playing like a second liner and 48 games playing like a 1st liner is enough for me to "go nuts" and call him a legit second liner, yes.
 
see, i'd agree that franson has not established himself as a top four defenseman.

we still have no clue if he can actually handle regular minutes against top six players.

i don't think there is any question that he's a quality first pp unit dman.

but he's still rough around the edges in his own zone and still has plenty to prove on that front.

but kadri... in terms of being a second liner... i don't think there are any questions there
 
Back
Top