• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs' Prospect/Marlies Discussion Thread!

Re: Leafs' Prospect Discussion Thread!

I definitely want to see what we have in Johnsson at the NHL level. As a younger prospect, he put up good numbers for a player his age in the SHL, and he steadily improved from each season to the next. And then after an OK offensive debut in the AHL last year, he's gone from a 20-goal, 50-point pace to a 40-goal, 65-point pace this season.

And while he's not tall, he's not physically built like Marner or Bracco. The guy's actually pretty jacked.

As for the Soshnikov comparison, Soshnikov is actually a full year older than Johnsson, and he's never showed the same kind of offensive upside as Johnsson has in both the SHL & AHL. Not to mention that Soshnikov also seems to be completely incapable of staying healthy.
 
Re: Leafs' Prospect Discussion Thread!

Has anyone been watching the Marlies at all? Sad, can’t catch them from Asia, wouldn’t mind seeing how some of the kids are performing
 
Re: Leafs' Prospect Discussion Thread!

i dunno if he's any better than, say, sosh.
Even if he is just Sosh II (and I happen to think he has higher ceiling offensively), there is nothing wrong with Sosh as a bottom 6, except he keeps getting injured.

So if he's a healthy Sosh II, I think he easily makes the 4th line.
 
Re: Leafs' Prospect Discussion Thread!

Has anyone been watching the Marlies at all? Sad, can’t catch them from Asia, wouldn’t mind seeing how some of the kids are performing
I wish I could see more of their games, but besides going down to Ricoh, I don't have many more options living in Toronto than you do in Asia.

Unfortunately, the only option to reliably stream their games is to buy the AHL's overpriced league-wide streaming package. And most of the time, the AHL's online streams are a simulcast from the in-arena scoreboard, and the games look liked they're being filmed on a potato.

It'd be nice if the Leafs themselves could at least stream the games in Toronto at somewhat decent levels of video quality.


I think Sosh is pretty useless. Dude cannot pass.
Sosh was an easy player to like right off the hop, since he plays such a hard, in-your-face style, and got off to a quick start offensively (2 goals, 5 points in his first 11 game stint with the Leafs). But it's unfortunately become apparent that he's lacking NHL-level offensive skill & hockey IQ, and that injury-wise he's made out of glass.

Which is sort of a problem for a guy who needs to play a prime-Komarov type of game to set himself apart at all in the NHL.

I strongly suspect Sosh won't be getting a qualifying offer when his ELC's up at the end of this season.
 
Re: Leafs' Prospect Discussion Thread!

yeah as free wallets go, can't complain. but he has been passed by too many others on our depth chart, and his upside is too limited.
 
Re: Leafs' Prospect Discussion Thread!

No hockey IQ.

Like his ability to skate with the puck, and love the release when he has space. But not smart enough to know where to be and when to make the best use of those tools.

and yeah, that he can't stay healthy while needing to be something of a grinder doesn't add points either.
 
Re: Leafs' Prospect Discussion Thread!

Tunnel vision, weak, slow shot release. I see nothing there personally. I'm surprised they're still hanging on to him.
 
Re: Leafs' Prospect Discussion Thread!

I like Sosh. I think he can be a good player somewhere.

Probably no room for him here.
 
Re: Leafs' Prospect Discussion Thread!

Johnnson with back to back 3 pts nights

21g 14a in 40 gms. Won't be much longer before he gets a look

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
 
Re: Leafs' Prospect Discussion Thread!

Everything is clicking all of a sudden, now that best lineups are being posted on the parent team. Do you think AHLers are encouraged when they see Travis Dermott and Justin Holl and Andreas Johnsson playing behind Roman Polak? And Matt Martin?

Players are if possible, even smarter than us bloggers.

Whoever hit Babcock over the head, don't let up, he strikes me as one incredibly stubborn son a B. Now? He like many egocentrics is sort of making this out as a grand plan. Whatever Mike, just be like Gibber and put out the best players you moron.

And treat them well. Gibber=Gerard Gallant imo.

Guess what Mike. Put out Kapanen and Dermott and you have literally exploded team speed. Get that Mike? Put back in Polak and Martin and you get dummy of the year award again.

How Shanahan puts up with this goof is beyond me.

Is it a Saskatchewan thing to destroy english every day, GUD instead of well? I mean the guy makes six milion bucks, and doesn't understand he is a language butcher?

I just don't like the guy. The Gibber wouldn't terrorize lineups this way. One reason why I will still attend Jays games? Cause the Gibber is at the helm. He will put out the best players.

And if you are sitting behind the players bench, he won't swear up a storm and terrorize your children and have them asking you why the coach swears so much.

I think Mark Hunter would be a better coach btw. I think players would really respect a guy who was a very good player in the NHL instead of a poser who played Canadian University hockey.

I don't know the inside scoop, but I really doubt this was a master plan, I think Lou or Shanny put their foot down. Shanahan especially seems like a guy who stays in touch with social media. And Polak and Martin weren't popular topics.
 
Last edited:
Re: Leafs' Prospect Discussion Thread!

We are.... But Babcock, could reverse unless you stay on him. Does anyone believe these lineup changes were of his making? If so, my rant is ill founded. I think we have corporatge people and management that know Travis Dermott and Kasperi Kapanen are far far better than Matt Martin and Roman Polak.

Heck a grade schooler can see that. But I don't think the GUD coach can and he needs to be schooled.
 
Re: Leafs' Prospect Discussion Thread!

Johnnson with back to back 3 pts nights

21g 14a in 40 gms. Won't be much longer before he gets a look

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Beauty. He has the pace and ability to play heavy (for a little guy) that Babcock will love on his 4th line. Also has the skill and hands to play up the lineup.

Reminds me of the Rust's, Sheary's, etc that Pittsburgh pulled out of a hat right before they went back to back. Little guys with skill, pace and some sandpaper.

yes please.
 
Re: Leafs' Prospect Discussion Thread!

Greqt point MindZ. I witnessed five minutes of the Pens game. WOW, the Pens are on fire right now. I would trade their coach for Babcock and give them a first pick. that man is a smart GIBBER. Best coach in the NHL by far.

He should dial them down, they looked like they could play and beat anyone tonight and carry the Stanley Cup on their backs.

Malkin AND Crosby? That is unfair.
 
Re: Leafs' Prospect Discussion Thread!

Johnsson continues his point streak today. 5g 7a in his last 6gp



Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top