• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs' Prospect/Marlies Discussion Thread!

Honestly have *some* glimmer of hope or positivity for every single prospect we took in 2019 and at least 8 in 2020.

I'll do the dive later, but at first glance it looks like the 2018 class has already played a lot more pro games than the 2017 class, 3 of the picks from the 2019 class look to have varying levels of NHL potential (I'm not particularly high on Kokkonen), and 2020...almost everything from the 6th round and upward has shown at minimum professional aptitude.

Just much, much better drafting so far.

I still like that he looks so big out there. And an RHD.

Hope we aren't getting excited for nothing though, if Dubie ends up dealing him away.

That's the worst part. All of your picks aren't going to hit, but when you make a bunch of picks and the players stagnate or don't improve in their first two post draft seasons...like, at all, that's just terrible drafting. Most of the names in your post simply didn't improve as hockey players post draft, or were so bad at the time they were drafted that even improving in junior left them unable to stick at any pro level. Rasanen, Gordeev, Kara, McGregor, O'Connell..have barely scraped 100 professional games (AHL + top euro leagues) between them ffs.

That's one of the worst draft classes I've ever seen. Even some POS draft classes we've had (2010, 2011) had the vast majority of our picks develop into career professional hockey players. Not NHL calibre players for the most part (Leivo & McKegg the only real NHL'ers of the bunch) but almost every single pick played 5-10 years of real professional hockey.

2016 (sans the obvious) was bad too, but turned out another NHL'er (maybe 2, Brooks still has a shot imo) and a few other guys who look like career pros below the NHL level. 2017 though, woof.
remember the time zeke thought Eemeli Rasanen was a top prospect?

I sure do!

He's better than Bogo now. Would be nice if we could get him a run of games down the stretch to see if he's ready.

not ready to say that myself (and I’m a huge Lilly defender). Until he shows the ability to translate that skill over to the nhl - I don’t know. Agree would like to see him get 5-8 games down the stretch run to see if he indeed play with the Marlies confidence on the leafs

remember the time zeke thought Eemeli Rasanen was a top prospect?

I sure do!
iu

2017: Liljegren, Rasanen, Scott, Kara, Gordeev, McGregor, O'Connell
2016: Matthews, Korshkov, Grundstrom, Woll, Greenway, Brooks, Middleton, Bobylev, Walker, Mattinen, Chebykin

Most of these guys never had a shot or any hope.
i wouldnt give up on mathews so quickly

(obvious joke is obvious)

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
You can always go back and see the 'who you shoulda picked' guys...
Was looking at the last buncha drafts..
I lol at the Bruins 2015 draft:
13 Zboril
14 DeBrusk
15 Senyshyn

the next 3 picks in the draft were Barzal, Connor & Chabot

Talk about your 'what coulda been' for the Bruins.

Thing is everyone seemed to know that on draft day except the Bruins.
i remember being pissed at the tought of what the Bruins were likely to load themselves up with. I would have bet a fair chunk of money that before those 3 Bruin picks, Barzal was going to be in Boston

Toronto Maple Leafs

1. Rasmus Sandin, D

2. Nicholas Robertson, LW

3. Rodion Amirov, LW

4. Nicholas Abruzzese, C

5. Topi Niemela, D

I hope we keep Lilli and he spends the next two decades making the stupidest prospects man at tsn that carries around a hammer to make up for his lack of ability to satisfy a woman feel crushed that this is why he will never touch a nhl franchise again

Toronto Maple Leafs

1. Rasmus Sandin, D

2. Nicholas Robertson, LW

3. Rodion Amirov, LW

4. Nicholas Abruzzese, C

5. Topi Niemela, D

I hope we keep Lilli and he spends the next two decades making the stupidest prospects man at tsn that carries around a hammer to make up for his lack of ability to satisfy a woman feel crushed that this is why he will never touch a nhl franchise again

You know... you could make an argument he turns out better than any of these guys. Completely puzzling.

Back