• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Les Habitants Prospects Thread

Saginaw won tonight, but still trail London 3-2 in the series. Beck had an assist tonight and a goal and an assist in the previous game.

Saginaw lost and Beck's OHL playoffs are done. Final playoff stats.

Mesar: 10GP, 1G ,15A
Beck: 17GP, 4G, 10A
Xhekaj: 6GP, 3G, 2A
Guindon: 4GP, 1G, 3A
Sobolev: 6GP, 0G, 1A

Kind of underwhelming playoffs for Beck. Hopefully he kills it in the Memorial Cup.

You mean the guy who isn't great offensively didn't put up numbers?

Boy, it's as if someone saw this coming...

He didn't have "underwhelming" playoffs. This isn't a surprise, it's just a reflection of his hockey career. He is what he's always been: A guy who has never been able to put up numbers at any point in his life.

He didn't have "underwhelming" playoffs. This isn't a surprise, it's just a reflection of his hockey career. He is what he's always been: A guy who has never been able to put up numbers at any point in his life.
He had 8 goals in the playoffs last year, which is enough for top 10ish this year and last. Didn't seem to get the big goals against the tougher oppostion this year, i.e. the Soo and London.

1714996152808.gif

2 playoff games in, and Shane Wright has zero points for Coachella. Watched most of the last game, and it's mind-boggling this guy was so coveted for so long. Boy, did we dodge a bullet not drafting him.
He surfed on his 16 years old season, which was spectacular, but has shown very little growth since. Very happy that the Habs made the gutsy call then, but it was very telling when he dropped to 4th after Cooley, scouts were not fooled.

He surfed on his 16 years old season, which was spectacular, but has shown very little growth since. Very happy that the Habs made the gutsy call then, but it was very telling when he dropped to 4th after Cooley, scouts were not fooled.
I was thinking that maybe he just got off track because of covid... Nope.

Here's the thing with players like Shane Wright...

Players do plateau.

There's a very long laundry list of players who were awesome at 15/16 and had NHL hype around them before they got drafted. Players like Nick Ebert & Steven Anthony are cautionary tales. If you don't know those two, that's entirely normal. They were players with tons of hype who saw their careers plateau before they became adults.

Sometimes it's important to trust your eyes and not believe the media hype. Most had him ranked #1, a couple #2. But then you have a certain scout, whose name will be withheld to avoid triggering the few here that don't like him for some reason, who ranked him 6th (in one of the weakest drafts in over a decade) only to be called a "troll".

As MSL said to Arpon Basu when asked how he was able to keep drudging along despite not being drafted, not being offered an NHL contract, being waived etc.

“I just kept trying to find ways on & off the ice to make myself a better hockey player, and kept improving my skills & the way I approached the details in each shifts execution when others simply didn’t…there was no magic”

Players do plateau.

There's a very long laundry list of players who were awesome at 15/16 and had NHL hype around them before they got drafted. Players like Nick Ebert & Steven Anthony are cautionary tales. If you don't know those two, that's entirely normal. They were players with tons of hype who saw their careers plateau before they became adults.

Sometimes it's important to trust your eyes and not believe the media hype. Most had him ranked #1, a couple #2. But then you have a certain scout, whose name will be withheld to avoid triggering the few here that don't like him for some reason, who ranked him 6th (in one of the weakest drafts in over a decade) only to be called a "troll".
1715038110748.gif

Players do plateau.

I thought for sure we were picking him, "exceptional status" and all. So I made a point of watching a ton of Frontenac games, latter part of reg season, all of playoffs. And I was scratching my head. Guys like Arcuri and Chromiak clearly stood out more. What I saw was a floater. Plain and simple. And all this talk about him being so "cerebral" didn't pass my eye test. So come draft time, I was happy we didn't pick him. I wanted Cooley. But am glad our scouts/mgt knew better. Also, for shits and giggles, I watched all the Coachella playoffs from the following year. The guy was a ghost. 2 goals and 9 points in 24 games.

I am so happy to be wrong. I wanted Wright and was disappointed when we picked Slaf. That said, I did come around within a couple of days. I just felt that it was a case of the media trying to cast doubt on the consensus top pick. Every year that there's a consensus guy, they like to make it a little more interesting... and I get it. This time, the people talking up Slaf as a legit option at #1 were right.

I wanted Shane Wright, but mostly by default.

That 2022 draft was one of the hardest I've ever seen for projections. Of the eight first players that were picked, they were playing in 7 different leagues (OHL, WHL, Finnish Elite League, USHL, Czech, Swedish Elite League, Slovakia) with none of them having any best on best tournament for their age group that year or the season before. The only three who played an international tournament together at any point were Slaf, Nemec & Jiricek at the Worlds in Spring.

So you have no international tournaments. The best prospects are all in different leagues. Leagues with different rules, ice surfaces, styles of play, types of players.

How the fuck are you supposed to make an educated guess? Especially for the players in the European leagues?

So I figured, Shane Wright played in the best Junior league in the world and he's a center. I also figured that the year of not playing hockey hurt him and that by the end of the season, maybe he was tired with Junior. I also pushed back that he was the "next Patrice Bergeron", which I thought was a lazy and asinine comparison.

In the end, I'm glad we got Slaf.

I started having huge red flags when I realized that mid season Shane Wright was 6-8 on his team in scoring. Never ever saw a potential first overall pick so underwhelming.

We essentially took Slafkovsky by default because Wright disqualified himself.

We got lucky that Slafkovsky has seemingly turned into a promising young star.

Back