• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Les Habitants Prospects Thread

I'm starting to agree with the possible "mandatory" trip through AHL for our prospects. Espicially if you have a guy like Bouchard, who was brought to help with developpement. If you have a guy like him, who is a great teacher, it's sort of a waste if you don't have you prospect work with him first.

Side note, another good article by Brunet from lapresse about KK and how, for those who might scream how KK's selection might be a bad one, history shows us that player development is note a race, but a marathon and some great example of players ahead in points in the NHL after 3 years, rarely are the players being the best selection on the long run: https://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hock...u-etait-un-flop-apres-trois-ans-disait-on.php

Striking example given are Huberdeau and Kucherov.

I'm starting to agree with the possible "mandatory" trip through AHL for our prospects. Espicially if you have a guy like Bouchard, who was brought to help with developpement. If you have a guy like him, who is a great teacher, it's sort of a waste if you don't have you prospect work with him first.

Side note, another good article by Brunet from lapresse about KK and how, for those who might scream how KK's selection might be a bad one, history shows us that player development is note a race, but a marathon and some great example of players ahead in points in the NHL after 3 years, rarely are the players being the best selection on the long run: https://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hock...u-etait-un-flop-apres-trois-ans-disait-on.php

Striking example given are Huberdeau and Kucherov.
I think galchenyuk would have been a serviceabke top 6 forward, maybe even center had he been allowed to develop in the AHL.

Good to hear KK is picking it up in laval though

KK especially, needed a year. The scrawny kid was physically overmatched, hard to sustain that over time when you're also trying to process the game at a high sped.

24 SOG is fine. Around 2 shots per game is a good target for a center.

He needs CC to develop into a 40 goal scorer . Backstrom barely scores 20 but has Jesus to slam home passes

Put him with us he would be a 65 point player because he has no one to pad his stats

We all want him to produce but this team struggles to produce 60 point scorers

If he starts next year with us , we have to put him in a role with responsibility . I get the sheltering stuff but he needs to be given every opportunity to produce .

Same with RP , you didn't draft him for 8 shifts a night with Thompson .

I think galchenyuk would have been a serviceabke top 6 forward, maybe even center had he been allowed to develop in the AHL.

Good to hear KK is picking it up in laval though

This is not hindsight speaking, I said it at the time and I'm almost always right when it comes to rushing 18 year olds into the NHL.

How do you go from being downgraded from #1 center to a third line winger on the American team at the U20 World Junior Championships and then make the jump to the NHL less than two months later? How can you possibly be ready for the NHL when you're not even among the best players in your own team, let alone own age group?

Notice how Jack Hughes isn't having such a great year? Yeah, that's totally normal. The gap between the USHL and the NHL is humongous.

I've seen it too many times when players are forced into the NHL at 18 or 19 years old when they're not ready. Sometimes they come out alright, and good for them. But more often than not, they stagnate. Their skills don't improve - and how could they? They're barely surviving - and they don't get icetime. They have a hard time gaining confidence.

James Sheppard is one of the people I always use as a reference. He's a guy I watched in the Q and he got rushed into the NHL at 19. The player that I watched in the NHL is a complete and utter shell of the guy I saw in Junior. If they didn't have the same name and body, you would have never known they were the same player. There wasn't a ounce of the Junior player in the guys who was playing in the NHL. Years go by, and I always wondered what he could have become had he played an extra season in Junior and maybe just half a season in the AHL before making the jump. Who knows, maybe nothing would have been different and he was going to become the player we saw in the NHL no matter what. But what if playing in the minors and slowly going up the ranks had made him a more effective & useful player?

It's just so hard for teams when the kid is better than 3-4 regulars. The coach wants him, the GM wants to win and keep his job, so they keep him as he makes the team better right now, but the kid doesn't progress and soon he's a problem. Even worse is if you waited too long then you can't send him down without having to waive him. That's why you need those Weal, Cousins, Thompson guys on the 4th line, so that you don't ruin your kids on it.

It's just so hard for teams when the kid is better than 3-4 regulars. The coach wants him, the GM wants to win and keep his job, so they keep him as he makes the team better right now, but the kid doesn't progress and soon he's a problem. Even worse is if you waited too long then you can't send him down without having to waive him. That's why you need those Weal, Cousins, Thompson guys on the 4th line, so that you don't ruin your kids on it.
Or, and this is a crazy idea, but if the kid is someone you want to play in your top 6 one day, don't have them grinding it out with slugs on the 4th line?

How about if we draft and develop our own Weal , Cousins , Thompson. We have a hard time developing top 6 , can we at least try to develop role players .

Playing them in a top 6 role before they are ready isn't a good idea either.

True. I beleive that if you have a prospect pencil as a top 6 forward, he should play as a top 6 Forward. If he can't do it in the NHL, you let him play as a top 6 in the AHL until they are ready. I don't see how getting them to play grinders on the 4th line, a role they likely never had to do in their junior carreer, will help them get into top 6 duty later on.

Playing them in a top 6 role before they are ready isn't a good idea either.

How about
True. I beleive that if you have a prospect pencil as a top 6 forward, he should play as a top 6 Forward. If he can't do it in the NHL, you let him play as a top 6 in the AHL until they are ready. I don't see how getting them to play grinders on the 4th line, a role they likely never had to do in their junior carreer, will help them get into top 6 duty later on.

The thing is sheltering a player is fine , but we go way overboard

Some nights give a player an extra turn on the PP or a few extra minutes

A player like RP has size, strength , decent speed and skill

8-10 shifts with trash makes no sense at all .

How about

The thing is sheltering a player is fine , but we go way overboard

Some nights give a player an extra turn on the PP or a few extra minutes

A player like RP has size, strength , decent speed and skill

8-10 shifts with trash makes no sense at all .

I think we're all on the same page

How about if we draft and develop our own Weal , Cousins , Thompson. We have a hard time developing top 6 , can we at least try to develop role players .

I don't care as much because we can easily find those guys on free agency or for a 5th round pick but I'd take anything at this point from our development program.

I don't care as much because we can easily find those guys on free agency or for a 5th round pick but I'd take anything at this point from our development program.

True , but when you run into injuries where are my Cousins in Laval to help out

We were hit this year and we had jack squat to help out

Vejdemo , Barber , etc....are beer league trash

We is my Engvall, Bjork , Yamamoto to ease the pain for 15-20 games

Maybe 5-7 extra goals over that span adds 2-4 points in the standings

We need 2 of each , one batch from the UFA scrap heap , another 3 waiting in the wings when we can`t replace the injured

Back