• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Music thread

Habsy

Yes, I'm kidding people.
Staff member
Satriani and Steve Vai still touring. Got Vai tix for next year.

axlsalinger

Great thread. Damn... that list from the fall of 1995 is absolutely stunning. So many gems.

How awesome was Jagged Little Pill?

And a song I haven't thought about in years... Tomorrow by Silverchair. Frogstomp was an excellent album.
I hated Silverchair back in those days, seemed like a cheap Nirvana ripoff. But I read some great reviews for Young Modern (2007) when it came out and also some raving about their previous album Diorama (2002) so I checked 'em both out and still listen to them today. Both (especially Diorama) are EXCELLENT albums.

Habspatrol

Administrator
Staff member
I hated Silverchair back in those days, seemed like a cheap Nirvana ripoff. But I read some great reviews for Young Modern (2007) when it came out and also some raving about their previous album Diorama (2002) so I checked 'em both out and still listen to them today. Both (especially Diorama) are EXCELLENT albums.
Hmmm... must have just been something that struck you at the time. I can't think of any song of theirs that reminds me of Nirvana.

I've listened to some of their later stuff and liked it too.

axlsalinger

Hmmm... must have just been something that struck you at the time. I can't think of any song of theirs that reminds me of Nirvana.

I've listened to some of their later stuff and liked it too.
People were calling them a Nirvana clone at the time (and calling STP a Pearl Jam clone), probably not the most accurate description But I definitely didn't like the songs I'd heard by them which was probably only 3 or 4. They were really young, and so I just dismissed them (liked STP, though!)

Do check out their last 2 albums if you aren't already familiar with them.

Habspatrol

Administrator
Staff member
People were calling them a Nirvana clone at the time (and calling STP a Pearl Jam clone), probably not the most accurate description But I definitely didn't like the songs I'd heard by them which was probably only 3 or 4. They were really young, and so I just dismissed them (liked STP, though!)

Do check out their last 2 albums if you aren't already familiar with them.
I'll definitely check them out.

I was always a huge STP fan too.

mbow30

Pop culture runs in fads and music tastes shifts, styles evolve. but there’s always been great music being made.

there we’re 170 years between Mozart and the Beatles. It’s not like we’re running out of ideas.

Habspatrol

Administrator
Staff member
Pop culture runs in fads and music tastes shifts, styles evolve. but there’s always been great music being made.

there we’re 170 years between Mozart and the Beatles. It’s not like we’re running out of ideas.
For sure. And to the "OP's" point in that Twitter thread... every era had also had tons of absolute shit music.

The early to mid 90s though, had an incredible amount of great music.

blkngldbabe

Personally, I’m digging the shift back o good old rock and roll. Sheepdogs, Glorious sons, Greta Van Fleet. New music that sounds old and I love it. Monster Truck too.

WeHaveMoreCupsThanYou

Nothing will ever be better than CFNY in the 80's "Spirit of Radio" era. Then the suits and bean counters took over, like they took over all of terrestrial radio across North America. Nowadays only losers even turn on their radios on the FM dial looking for music. The only local radio station I listen to is the TSN radio affiliate(on AM). Aside from that I listen to satellite radio or Spotify. I wouldn't even bother trying to listen to music on terrestrial radio anymore. Complete wasteland.

Leafyblue

I'll just put this out there because I thought it was funny. I work in a stone processing plant. Big saw with a diamond blade cutting through slabs of stone. I checked my phone while standing beside it, and whatever app Google is using on my Pixel that tells you what song you are listing to, said it was Linkin Park. Sorry, I can't remember now what the song name was. :unsure::)