• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

New Canadian Politics Thread

It’s funny, after the last election, Peter MacKay called Andrew Scheer’s social conservatism a “stinking albatross around his neck” that helped cost the CPC an easy election win.

Now he seems to have switched gears and is going hard after those social conservative votes. Yesterday he sent out an e-mail blast that included a shot at Erin O’Toole for supporting the transgender “bathroom bill”, and noting his opposition to it.

Today, he’s sent out a video message expressing his “outrage” that Trudeau is “using our tragedy to punish law abiding firearm owners” with his assault rifle ban.

I really have no time for people whining about losing their gun rights so they can't shoot at trees and cans.
Read about all these victims. One woman was pregnant and had a 3 year-old son. Get guns off our streets. Stats show us guns do not save people.

There's a weird psychological thing going on with people and guns. Get over it.

I really have no time for people whining about losing their gun rights so they can't shoot at trees and cans.
Read about all these victims. One woman was pregnant and had a 3 year-old son. Get guns off our streets. Stats show us guns do not save people.

I agree with getting troubled guns off our streets but this doesn’t do that. 70-90 percent of our street gun problems are being illegally imported into Canada. That’s the real issue, and there is my problem with this, it doesn’t tackle the real problem.

alberta facebook is all a bunch of karens

I agree with getting troubled guns off our streets but this doesn’t do that. 70-90 percent of our street gun problems are being illegally imported into Canada. That’s the real issue, and there is my problem with this, it doesn’t tackle the real problem.

it is part of the problem

but i agree - many more guns need to be melted down

That used to be the "real issue". You can blame "law abiding" gun owners for ruining it.

Before 2012, about 75 per cent of the firearms were trafficked from the United States. By 2017, however, about half originated from domestic sources, putting an end to the idea that most of Canada’s illegal guns come from across the border, Det. Rob Di Danieli of the guns and gangs unit said.

Legal Canadian gun owners are selling their weapons illegally, Di Danieli said, noting that police have seen more than 40 such cases in recent years.

The allure of a quick sell at a high profit margin is one reason legal owners might sell their guns. One man sold 47 guns and made over $100,000 in a five month period, the detective said.

“They go get their licence for the purpose of becoming a firearms trafficker,” Di Danieli said. “A lot of people are so ready to blame the big bad Americans, but we had our own little problem here.”

Even if this wasn't the trend and the old "it's smuggled guns" wisdom was accurate, the counter-argument to these types of bans completely ignore the economic aspect of it. Say you've got a 75/25 split with 75% of your supply being smuggled in...if you remove the 25% (I'm not suggesting a total ban on guns specifically, just making a point), the 75% become much, much more expensive. Putting them further out of the reach of most criminals. Will well-financed gangs/organized crimey types still get them? Yeah of course, but you're generally not worried about those guys. They tend to only target each other for violence. What you're worried about is the street level violence with a bunch of street level drug dealers running around strapped. You're worried about the domestic violence cases, etc, etc. Policies like this absolutely make guns harder for that type of criminal to gain access to because it raises the cost of purchase, it puts a few more illegal gun dealers out of business, etc.

That we're a lot closer to 50/50 than 75/25 makes the necessity even more pressing. Do hand guns next please.

Growth RateDouble Rate DaysHospitalization RateInfection Rate
Alberta2.80%252.90%3.79%
Ontario2.78%25.221.74%2.54%
BC1.41%49.712.52%2.42%
Quebec3.59%19.58.40%13.57%

That used to be the "real issue". You can blame "law abiding" gun owners for ruining it.

Even if this wasn't the trend and the old "it's smuggled guns" wisdom was accurate, the counter-argument to these types of bans completely ignore the economic aspect of it. Say you've got a 75/25 split with 75% of your supply being smuggled in...if you remove the 25% (I'm not suggesting a total ban on guns specifically, just making a point), the 75% become much, much more expensive. Putting them further out of the reach of most criminals. Will well-financed gangs/organized crimey types still get them? Yeah of course, but you're generally not worried about those guys. They tend to only target each other for violence. What you're worried about is the street level violence with a bunch of street level drug dealers running around strapped. You're worried about the domestic violence cases, etc, etc. Policies like this absolutely make guns harder for that type of criminal to gain access to because it raises the cost of purchase, it puts a few more illegal gun dealers out of business, etc.

That we're a lot closer to 50/50 than 75/25 makes the necessity even more pressing. Do hand guns next please.

but i do not sell my firearms so why am i being punished?

Growth RateDouble Rate DaysHospitalization RateInfection Rate
Alberta2.80%252.90%3.79%
Ontario2.78%25.221.74%2.54%
BC1.41%49.712.52%2.42%
Quebec3.59%19.58.40%13.57%

interesting here is that ontario seems to be off the charts in terms of hospitalization rate but the infection rate is fairly low

what is the cause here? tons of nursing home outbreaks? I am guessing part of while alberta is so low is that the outbreaks in meat packing plants probably have an average age of like 40 so less severe cases

the other thing is that quebec has a super high infection rate but still a fairly low hospitalization rate - any thoughts on that one?

Looking at cases of people aged 60 or older, as a percentage of total cases

AB: 16%
ON: 44%

Back