• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

NFL 2024 Season Thread

Ed H in Pasadena

Going to be an interesting year with all the changeover in personnel. Can anyone dethrone the Chiefs? I guess we'll find out.

Week #1 in the books. Three teams overcame 10 point deficits to win, the average passing yards per team was less than 170 (😳) and the champs are looking like they're ready to defend.
Oh, and the Panthers are retched.

Three weeks in and the unbeaten teams are the Bills, Steelers (!) and Chiefs in the AFC and Vikings and Seahawks (!) in the NFC.

Steelers are 3-0 with Justin Fields as their starter. And Sam freaking Darnold has led the Vikes to their record. 🤷

On the down side, the Bengals are 0-3 and the Niners are 1-2. Cincy really surprising me with their poor play.

Five weeks in and the biggest surprises have to be the suddenly potent Washington Commanders and the still-unbeaten Minnesota Vikings, QBs by Sam Darnold!
Biggest bust? The 1-4 Cleveland Browns, a team that made the playoffs last season with 11 wins. To do that this season would take a miracle.

Rankings by TheScore app
NFL Power Rankings - Week 6: Commanders rise, Browns hit bottom

Skipped a couple of weeks, but back at it for this past week. The early season suprises, Detroit and Minnesota, continue to be that, with both registering 5-1 records and the Lions just beat the Vikings last week. The Packers and Commanders are both 5-2, also surprising to me (especially Washington). And somehow, someway, my Steelers changed QBs and went out and performed as well as I've seen them perform offensively in recent seasons. Yes, the Jets' rush D is awful and we took advantage but we stopped their vaunted pass rush with a patchwork O line and Russell Wilson took apart their banged up secondary. And the Bears are 4-3 as Caleb Williams is starting to settle in, as I suspected he would.

On the flip side, the Patriots and the Browns are just awful (and the Browns just lost their "star" QB to a season-ending Achilles injury) but right now, the Carolina Panthers are pitiful. The Saints, Raiders, Giants and Jags are bad, and adding Davante Adams won't really help a woeful Jets team, Aaron Rodgers or no Aaron Rodgers.

But no team is like KC right now, and they just added disgruntled star receiver DeAndre Hopkins from Tennessee, to make an average WR room (without injured emerging star Rashee Rice) that much better now.

Back