• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Off Topic: recommend a knee surgeon?

TheBigKahuna

Just a quick poll, a knee surgeon you'd recommend around Raleigh. I have a couple who I like, but just curious about options. For an 18yo athlete.

Marty Isbell, who does the Canes surgeries is very good. So is Bob Wyker. Both practice at Raleigh Orthopedic

Hadley Calloway at Raleigh Ortho scoped my knee in 2009. I’ve run several marathons since then so I’m guessing he fixed it up right.

Matthew Boes at Raleigh Orthopaedic did my meniscus surgery in March. I was back on the ice before the end of May. The experience, including the PT I did there for about ten weeks after surgery, was very good.

So is Bob Wyker. Both practice at Raleigh Orthopedic
I think he did my mother-in-law's knee, a number of years before her death.
They are the ones that used to be in the cool modernist building on Glenwood, right?

I think he did my mother-in-law's knee, a number of years before her death.
They are the ones that used to be in the cool modernist building on Glenwood, right?
Yeah, I think so ... before they moved to the new place on Edwards Mill.

Matthew Boes at Raleigh Orthopaedic did my meniscus surgery in March. I was back on the ice before the end of May. The experience, including the PT I did there for about ten weeks after surgery, was very good.
Bottom line ... Raleigh Ortho is a top notch practice, as is Wake Ortho if one's insurance runs more to the Wake Med hospital system and not to UNC hospitals.

Very familiar with Raleigh Ortho staff and some Duke staff. But thanks for the input. I like to hear firsthand accounts. My kid is staring down a big surgery. We'll know more after his MRI in the AM.

Very familiar with Raleigh Ortho staff and some Duke staff. But thanks for the input. I like to hear firsthand accounts. My kid is staring down a big surgery. We'll know more after his MRI in the AM.
Hope he comes out better on the other side. My youngest did something to her knee at hockey camp one year and she was never the same. Basically her kneecap was free floating. But the knee guys at Duke wouldn’t do exploratory surgery on her knee so they told her that if they couldn’t see the kneecap move, they couldn’t do anything.

Hope he comes out better on the other side. My youngest did something to her knee at hockey camp one year and she was never the same. Basically her kneecap was free floating. But the knee guys at Duke wouldn’t do exploratory surgery on her knee so they told her that if they couldn’t see the kneecap move, they couldn’t do anything.
Get me started...The MFers at Duke never even looked at my left shoulder from the wreck I was in in April of '07, as their patient. Their claim was that I had a lot of other things going on with a T.B.I. and broken pelvis & ribs...even though bone splinters were evident in the X-rays they took when I was admitted. I had to go through multiple shoulder surgeries at Triangle Ortho months later and had difficulty in physical therapy after I got released from Duke's "care" (still have problems 17 years later that could have been better corrected before things started healing in place on their own). Duke said my shoulder pain was from "arthritic changes", when it actually was a Grade 5 displaced AC joint injury...kinda hard to miss. I don't have any kind words for Duke. They get a lot of hype and favorable press, but reality is a vastly different thing. Good luck suing them is the answer I got from an attorney. [Polar's word] 'em. Bastages.

Jim

I hate to hear about a teenager wrecking their knee. It's a tough go, but they learn more about those surgeries and recovery every year.

Get it fixed. I still have a completely fucked up shoulder from a jr high f/b injury from a bit over 45 years ago that I did not seek attention for. I got pancaked (I was an OT) and I opened my eyes to see my tight end's ass sit down hard on my shoulder. Oof! Then when I was 28, I rocketed off my MTB at Centennial right on the same shoulder. My MF'ing friends got a good laugh out of that. I could not sleep on it for six weeks. Did I seek attention? Hell no, because I thought I was still indestructible. And very high, very often self medicating. I have not been able to throw anything properly w/o pain since the initial f/b incident.

Sending positive vibes and thinking healing thoughts and a rapid recovery for TheLittleKahuna.

Jim
Little Kahuna is 6-6" and 285. Got his knee taken out playing football. MRIs done today. Meet with Ortho Dr in the AM to discuss results/plan. Hoping for the best, thanks for the well wishes

Get it fixed. I still have a completely fucked up shoulder from a jr high f/b injury from a bit over 45 years ago that I did not seek attention for. I got pancaked (I was an OT) and I opened my eyes to see my tight end's ass sit down hard on my shoulder. Oof! Then when I was 28, I rocketed off my MTB at Centennial right on the same shoulder. My MF'ing friends got a good laugh out of that. I could not sleep on it for six weeks. Did I seek attention? Hell no, because I thought I was still indestructible. And very high, very often self medicating. I have not been able to throw anything properly w/o pain since the initial f/b incident.
Yeah. I tore up a shoulder playing football in school and ended up having to have surgery to clean it up about a decade ago. You pay the price for youthful stupidity eventually.

Little Kahuna is 6-6" and 285. Got his knee taken out playing football. MRIs done today. Meet with Ortho Dr in the AM to discuss results/plan. Hoping for the best, thanks for the well wishes
"Little"??? I'd hate to see your grocery bill.

Here's to a 100% recovery.

Torn LCL and ACL. Surgery in a few weeks after all the swelling goes down. Senior season is done. He got clip blocked right in his knee with a helmet. It was completely intentional. That's the most frustrating part of it.

Back